Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Simple things you can't do/don't understand

• 30-12-2015 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭deex

What are some simple/embarrassing things that you can't do or can't understand... even though you probably should?

For me, I don't have a notion how to use a fireplace. I was in a huge house fire when I was a child and as a result I grew up avoiding the idea of fire altogether. I don't know how to light a fire, and if one was already lit I wouldn't know how to tend to it, and if it was put out I wouldn't know how to clean the fireplace out. It would be less embarrassing if I was still truly traumatised by the childhood fire, but tbh, I'm not. I've dealt with it and I don't have terrifying flashbacks in the middle of the night or anything, the fact that I haven't learned is honestly just laziness, awkwardness and embarrassing! Maybe one for the new years resolutions - I mean, looking up how to do it must take what, 30 minutes maximum?!

I also don't understand WTF Bitcoins are but I pretend I do when people talk about them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Eating food with the fork/knife in the left hand :confused:

I always have to put down at least one to either do the cutting with my right hand (holding with fork in left)....but no way in jaysus could I use the fork in my left hand to eat...,always have to put knife down again to eat
    (Is actually worse than it sounds...esp if somewhere fancy/Xmas parties etc)

I refuse to believe I'm alone in this struggle :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Women. Never understood them or figured out how to work them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

You know all that stuff about wrens on St. Stephen's Day? I haven't got a clue what that's all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I always have to put down at least one to either do the cutting with my right hand (holding with fork in left)....but no way in jaysus could I use the fork in my left hand to eat...,always have to put knife down again to eat

I'm the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I'm good at painting stuff, but I find sanding so hard. I reckon I have a form of OCD where I am never happy with it, even when the sanded area is as smooth as a baby's bum. Sanding always leaves me unhappy regardless

RayM wrote: »
    You know all that stuff about wrens on St. Stephen's Day? I haven't got a clue what that's all about.

It's like a really poor version of Halloween...like back in the day when kids used have to sing when trick or treating not just turn up demanding sweets or they'd egg your house

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭well spoken man

Pull out....three kids later still can't get the hang of it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Dance Music

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Tracker mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Attracting the opposite sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭KCC

You're not alone! I'd love to know what causes it. I also agree it can be embarrassing when people notice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

The whole 'selfie' thing.

Just don't get why people can't go anywhere without snapping, uploading and checking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PsychoSue

Winking with my left eye!!!
    I just look like I'm starting to have a seizure but I'm working on it (when no one is looking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

eating with chopsticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Why people like Mrs Brown's Boys? Can't understand it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Women. Never understood them or figured out how to work them.
    It's their minds that is the mystery ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why people like Mrs Brown's Boys? Can't understand it at all.
    If Mick Dundee were around he'd grab Mrs Brown by the balls to prove she isn't real :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I have no idea how to multi quote posts... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Americans will sort of meet you half way.

Their table manners involve cutting everything up first and then putting down the knife to just use your fork in your dominant hand.

Better than the British way IMO.

• Advertisement

Lardy wrote: »
    I have no idea how to multi quote posts... :(

Go to desktop mode not touch??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

I have trouble telling my left from my right
    I am awful at directions
    I can't rollerblade

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

I have no idea how to do it full stop. Desktop mode or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Shoe laces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

As a sufferer of Dyspraxia I can't do any simple things easily.

Lardy wrote: »
    I have no idea how to do it full stop. Desktop mode or not.

Use the +'' button on the full site and then post reply??

Though really you have to wonder what twists your life has taken...to find yourself taking advise off me :pac:

(Should work nonetheless)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Horse racing and the associated betting.

Lovely creatures and all and thrilling to see them thunder by at full tilt with the colourful flash of jockeys' silks.

But once is enough.

The idea of standing out in winter's worst for a whole day watching race after race, whilst giving over hard-earned real actual money to entities with rooms full of super-smart actuaries who can access powerful computer models and reams of past data and thinking your idea of how it is going to pan out is more accurate....

... I just don't get it. Very popular in this country though. A shop on virtually every street in all our towns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

My four year old can work out left and right quicker than I can. I'm terrible, I don't know why, my brain just freezes for 2 seconds. I'm actually quite intelligent, topping my class in college but look like a dumb ditz when someone asks me for directions.

The sheer amount of people I have in hindsight realised I've given wrong directions to is embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

I can't fry an egg...:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Don't know how to change a tyre. And I'm a man. Cue lots of abuse and very weird looks whenever I bring it up (I tend not to anymore).I was shown how twice by a kind neighbour but I just couldn't keep the sequence of events in my short term memory. I know you have to jack the car up, then....remove the flat somehow, then put on the right one and tighten the screws or something...but I just don't bother now and I have gotten AA out 4 times in the last few years for a flat. They don't seem surprised at it though so maybe its more common that you think.

No throwing tomatoes please! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

Know where a letter is in the alphabet without singing the alphabet song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

This is the first to genuinely baffle me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Don't be so hard on them. I only fried an egg for the first time the other day. Wasn't sure what to do once I got it on the pan. How much oil to use ? Do I flip it ? I cooked it for my wife. I wouldn't normally eat an egg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You're not waiting until the pan is hot enough before you add the egg.

Honestly - that's the only way you can get it wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Don't know how to change a tyre. And I'm a man. Cue lots of abuse and very weird looks whenever I bring it up (I tend not to anymore).I was shown how twice by a kind neighbour but I just couldn't keep the sequence of events in my short term memory. I know you have to jack the car up, then....remove the flat somehow, then put on the right one and tighten the screws or something...but I just don't bother now and I have gotten AA out 4 times in the last few years for a flat. They don't seem surprised at it though so maybe its more common that you think.

No throwing tomatoes please! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT_pPlJTiyE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭starry_eyed

Can't understand when my girlfriend goes quiet and I'm wondering why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I don't know how to sex rabits. Can somebody please help me ?

deex wrote: »
    What are some simple/embarrassing things that you can't do or can't understand... even though you probably should?

For me, I don't have a notion how to use a fireplace. I was in a huge house fire when I was a child and as a result I grew up avoiding the idea of fire altogether. I don't know how to light a fire, and if one was already lit I wouldn't know how to tend to it, and if it was put out I wouldn't know how to clean the fireplace out. It would be less embarrassing if I was still truly traumatised by the childhood fire, but tbh, I'm not. I've dealt with it and I don't have terrifying flashbacks in the middle of the night or anything, the fact that I haven't learned is honestly just laziness, awkwardness and embarrassing! Maybe one for the new years resolutions - I mean, looking up how to do it must take what, 30 minutes maximum?!

I also don't understand WTF Bitcoins are but I pretend I do when people talk about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs_pLbJ-JGE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

people who can't use a knife and fork simultaneously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sleeping. Just happens at night. Cant make myself fall asleep. Just having thoughts annndddd gone. Takes ages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,186 ✭✭✭dee_mc

Long division.
    And multiquote.
    Genuinely baffled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

A not able to fry an egg post baffles you but the shoe laces post doesn't? :P:D

I usually just make a balls of it. Like above, I'm probably just rushing and not letting the oil get hot enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

People who feel the need to lie continuously. Baffling and worrying.

callaway92 wrote: »
    People who feel the need to lie continuously. Baffling and worrying.

Low self esteem??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I can't whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I cant reverse my car in a straight line unless I go really slowly and even then its a struggle,if someones watching Im even worse.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

I don't understand the function or proper use of fog lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

iCloud for storing my photos .

I just don't understand it at all

I don't understand the function or proper use of fog lights.

you use them when its foggy:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Colser wrote: »
    I cant reverse my car in a straight line unless I go really slowly and even then its a struggle,if someones watching Im even worse.:o

left right left right left right left right left right

• Advertisement
Advertisement