Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenant working and rent allowance

Options
  • 30-12-2015 11:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Advertising apartment way above rent allowance treshold for area. Potential tenant says they are working and rent allowance will top up rent. I'm a but unsure as to how this works. Anyone experienced this type of situation?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thestart wrote: »
    Advertising apartment way above rent allowance treshold for area. Potential tenant says they are working and rent allowance will top up rent. I'm a but unsure as to how this works. Anyone experienced this type of situation?

Working people can get rent allowance if they work under a certain amount of hours e.g.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Someone in receipt of rent allowance cannot rent for more than the rent allowance threshold. They will require you to issue a lease at the rent allowance threshold and will promise to top up. That would be fraudulent and would leave you with only the ra limit guaranteed. Run, don't walk, away from this one as fast as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thestart wrote: »
    Advertising apartment way above rent allowance treshold for area.
    Realise that there are different thresholds, depending on household size. In certain circumstances, the DSP are willing to pay more than the stated thresholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Victor wrote: »
    Realise that there are different thresholds, depending on household size. In certain circumstances, the DSP are willing to pay more than the stated thresholds.

But in this case the tenant is talking about topping up himself not about a special limit. Which is illegal and which would need the landlord to fill in the RA forms falsely. Been asked to do that by prospective lls in my time and always refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

Graces7 wrote: »
    But in this case the tenant is talking about topping up himself not about a special limit. Which is illegal and which would need the landlord to fill in the RA forms falsely. Been asked to do that by prospective lls in my time and always refused.

Op says the person said they work and rent allowance will top up the rest. That could mean anything.

The person could very well have been given permission by the dept to rent above the threshold (as it is impossible to find property within the limits in certain areas) and as they are earning they can afford a portion themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement