Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House-sharing, soundproofing room

Options
  • 31-12-2015 3:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hello forum,

No idea where to post this but its accommodation related. Mods feel free to move it anywhere more appropriate.

I rent a room and live with the landlord. The landlord has cats and keeps their bedroom door open all the time which is just down the hall. I'm normally on my PC with headphones on, but thinking about getting a TV. I also work night shifts so on weekends, I'd like to minimize the noise coming from outside my room in so I can sleep during the day while she might listen to music and/or TV.

So, I want to keep noise coming in and going out.

I can pad the room appropriately with square sound-proofing foam, but with the amount I can afford...I can pad it sparingly around the room or primarily around the door.

I am curious on both the best placing of the foam, and also how effective it actually is. Would it even be worth it? Would a nicely padded room make much difference for both sound coming in and escaping?

Kind Regards,

Kai.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Can't see your landlord agreeing to this, if nothing else it's an increased fire risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Ear Plugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭Alkers

Realistically it isn't going to be worth it vs talking to your landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Ear Plugs?

Only realistic option besides moving. I believe the beeswax ones are good for overnight sleeping.

Aside from living alone it's going to be very difficult to find a houseshare that's going to be quiet during the day on weekends and it would be unreasonable to ask people to be quiet imo (not that the op suggested he would).

Weekends are when people tend to be around the house more, they watch sport, clean and hoover, have people call over etc. It's going to be difficult to find a house that people will tip toe around unless it's a house where most people go home at weekends but you tend to be living there before you know this level of detail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Aside from living alone it's going to be very difficult to find a houseshare that's going to be quiet during the day on weekends and it would be unreasonable to ask people to be quiet imo (not that the op suggested he would).

Weekends are when people tend to be around the house more, they watch sport, clean and hoover, have people call over etc. It's going to be difficult to find a house that people will tip toe around unless it's a house where most people go home at weekends but you tend to be living there before you know this level of detail.

The sound-proofing idea is to allow me not to ask the landlord to lower volume on the weekends. I wouldn't even dream of trying to negotiate that.

The room is fairly sound-proof, but with a TV against the wall during the night, it might be a nuisance. If I were able to stop both incoming and outgoing sound, it would be a win-win for both of us.

I've not had a shift yet where I'll be sleeping during the morning and afternoon during on the weekend, so hopefully the earplugs can help with that. If not, due to the rolling rota I'll have night shifts on a weekend once every month and a bit, so its not a massive problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Kai123

Only realistic option besides moving. I believe the beeswax ones are good for overnight sleeping.

Thanks for the suggestion! Since It will be only a weekend a month I'll be sleeping during the day, beewax earplugs seem like a great solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Kai123 wrote: »
    Hello forum,

No idea where to post this but its accommodation related. Mods feel free to move it anywhere more appropriate.

I rent a room and live with the landlord. The landlord has cats and keeps their bedroom door open all the time which is just down the hall. I'm normally on my PC with headphones on, but thinking about getting a TV. I also work night shifts so on weekends, I'd like to minimize the noise coming from outside my room in so I can sleep during the day while she might listen to music and/or TV.

So, I want to keep noise coming in and going out.

I can pad the room appropriately with square sound-proofing foam, but with the amount I can afford...I can pad it sparingly around the room or primarily around the door.

I am curious on both the best placing of the foam, and also how effective it actually is. Would it even be worth it? Would a nicely padded room make much difference for both sound coming in and escaping?

Kind Regards,

Kai.

Ear plugs and a wireless set of headphones for the TV. Far easier and cheaper and handier for all involved.

Advertisement