Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday refund

Options
  • 31-12-2015 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭

I have a quick question.

A holiday was booked for my Sister but my Dad died suddenly. My Sister didnt take out holiday insurance. Is she entitled to any refund at all?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Mod Note
    More appropriate here OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Hi there. I'm really sorry for your loss. My dad died suddenly this time last year. Myself and my brother both had flights and hotels booked in the following month and when I sent a copy of the death cert, the relevant parties sent their condolences and gave a full refund. Ryanair even went so far as to refund my Dad's unused flight after he died without me even thinking of that!
    Whether or not you're actually entitled to it may be an issue of insurance, but we found that there must have been a compassionate grounds the companies used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,318 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Entitled by law? No but most companies will go beyond the legal requirements if contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was browsing Aer Lingus' FAQ recently about something else, and they do have a process for refunds in case of a death. So hopefully there will be something similar in your sisters case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have a quick question.

A holiday was booked for my Sister but my Dad died suddenly. My Sister didnt take out holiday insurance. Is she entitled to any refund at all?

Sorry for you on the loss of your Dad.

The only entitlement is that which the tour operator/airline chose to give you in the T&C they outlined in the original purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Had the same in November with Ryanair and Aer Lingus following death of my mother - both companies fully refunded flights booked for travel in the following 28 days.

There are email contacts to both companies on their website, you will need to send copy of the Death Certificate.

Outside of that you are down to Travel Insurance (if you have it) but to me, seemed reasonable, if longer than 28 days I would have taken the trips anyhow.

Advertisement