Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying alcohol and cars in the EU

Options
  • 31-12-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Been watching stop seize search recently and have been annoying myself. people getting fined etc for bringing alccohol in from the continent or cars from the uk. My basic (very basic) understanding of the EU was that its an open market. So why is it that people ned to pay tax on these products which they have bought legally in another EU state.

Playground rumour RE cars was that for every fine Ireland gets from the EU they get twice as much in illegal import tax. Has this any truth?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    Been watching stop seize search recently and have been annoying myself. people getting fined etc for bringing alccohol in from the continent or cars from the uk. My basic (very basic) understanding of the EU was that its an open market. So why is it that people ned to pay tax on these products which they have bought legally in another EU state.

Playground rumour RE cars was that for every fine Ireland gets from the EU they get twice as much in illegal import tax. Has this any truth?

Open borders, not open market as such. Each country has its own Vat/taxation rates which must be paid on commercial items. If the alcohol/tobacco is for personal consumption then there is no additional tax due but if it is for resale there is. Also if you own the car and have registered and driven it while living in another country then that is fine, but if you pop over for a weekend to buy a car and bring it back here, you have to pay the local VRT rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The single market got rid of customs duty and duty-free allowances on intra-EU sales but normal excise and VAT must be paid either in the country of purchase or the country of import. You don't pay customs duty on goods bought within the EU.

You can import goods from another EU country without paying any additional taxes so long as it's for personal use. Limits have been set to what is automatically considered personal use for alcohol and tobacco products but you can exceed these limits if you can prove personal use.

VRT is a national tax on registering a vehicle for use in Ireland and is set by the Irish Government, some other countries such as The Netherlands have a similar tax. You can legally import a car without becoming liable for VRT if you've been resident in another EU country and using the car there for at least 6 months. The EU does not have jurisdiction over national tax policies. Once a car has been registered in Ireland you can export and re-import the same car for as long or as often as you want without paying VRT again (if you don't avail of a refund).

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We're not fined and it's not illegal.

Stop believing those with the mental age of children

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

Been watching stop seize search recently

The best thing about that show was the woman who was caught driving a UK reg car in Monaghan. She had been told on facebook that she only had to pay a small fine and there was nothing else customs could do.
    So when she got stopped and refused to pay the proper fine, and VRT etc.. (claiming she knew her 'rights') and they then started siezing the car SHE called the Garda on the Customs officer.
    The Gardai then had to explain to her that she was wrong and the customs officer was right.

Dont believe everything you WANT to belive....the law wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Been watching stop seize search recently and have been annoying myself. people getting fined etc for bringing alccohol in from the continent or cars from the uk.
    I don't think I have seen a fine for bringing in alcohol on the show, just saw it being seized. Have you seen fines, and have you ever seen someone caught for what you thought was legitimate personal use?

Many of them caught could have got off if they had said it was for personal use, some only had a few litres of spirits but went and said it was for friends and colleagues. The irony is in some cases it looks like they are lying to customs and the few litres probably was for themselves, but they might wrongly think they are better off saying its not all for themselves. Same with cigarettes, some could argue they smoke 60 a day and are bringing in a years supply, but most say its for friends.

They asked one truck driver how much he drank and you would swear he was talking to his mother or garda, downplaying how much he drinks. So instead of making himself out to be a heavy drinker he said he has 2 or 3 cans a day.

Most caught seemed to be repeat offending truck drivers who probably are smuggling small amounts, frequently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

rubadub wrote: »
    I don't think I have seen a fine for bringing in alcohol on the show, just saw it being seized. Have you seen fines, and have you ever seen someone caught for what you thought was legitimate personal use?

Many of them caught could have got off if they had said it was for personal use, some only had a few litres of spirits but went and said it was for friends and colleagues. The irony is in some cases it looks like they are lying to customs and the few litres probably was for themselves, but they might wrongly think they are better off saying its not all for themselves. Same with cigarettes, some could argue they smoke 60 a day and are bringing in a years supply, but most say its for friends.

They asked one truck driver how much he drank and you would swear he was talking to his mother or garda, downplaying how much he drinks. So instead of making himself out to be a heavy drinker he said he has 2 or 3 cans a day.

Most caught seemed to be repeat offending truck drivers who probably are smuggling small amounts, frequently.

It used to be the case, long, long ago that truck drivers had a much smaller allowance than ordinary passengers. At one stage it was 40 cigs per trip, and very limited alcohol. Truck drivers became big targets as a few were running in pallets of beer , almost operating a small off licence business off the back of the truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

And as for that twat in the airport customs my god how does he get away with the way he speaks to people 😅😅

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

bewhiched wrote: »
    And as for that twat in the airport customs my god how does he get away with the way he speaks to people 😅😅

Bruce? I passed thru customs before christmas and he was there...I got very nervous walking bye but he did not stop me. Thankfully.
    I would confess to kidnapping Shergar if Bruce asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Menas wrote: »
    Bruce? I passed thru customs before christmas and he was there...I got very nervous walking bye but he did not stop me. Thankfully.

Hahaha we are in the caneries now and going to bring 2 sleeves of tobacco back and if stopped by BRUCE the almighty! !!!PERSONAL USE

• Registered Users Posts: 69,036 ✭✭✭✭L1011

bewhiched wrote: »
    Hahaha we are in the caneries now and going to bring 2 sleeves of tobacco back and if stopped by BRUCE the almighty! !!!PERSONAL USE

Canaries are not in the EU for duty so duty free, not personal use, rules apply

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Menas wrote: »

Bruce comes across as a complete bellend. The way he talks to people is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - if you want to discuss the characters on a TV show, please go to the Television forum. This forum is for Consumer Issues.

dudara

Advertisement