Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HG658c

Options
  • 31-12-2015 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have a Seagate NAS connected via Ethernet to router.. when transferring date only get about 3 to 4MB transfer rate, streaming media to Samsung smart TV buffers alot. How can I increase the LAN speed?

I hve tried all the usual things.. its not a big house, router is less than 3mtrs from TV, plasterboard internal walls etc, firmware uptodate..

Any setting router I can try? I tried the Bandwidth and channel but none worked other than
    Auto and 20/40!

Any help, thks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Are you connecting by ethernet cable or wireless? Remember wireless can only transmit in one direction at a time. When transferring data you have headers as well as the data, acknowledgements going in the opposite direction. As well as the data bits there are stop bits, parity bits.

All in all you can have up to 30% overhead. Consequently at 54 mega bits per second wireless gives you 37.8 mega bits per second data which is 4.725 mega bytes per second.

Another thing to remember is that the wireless speed quoted is that achieved in laboratory conditions. usually router and device side by side in a Faraday cage.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭rockdrummer4

Thanks FSL, its wirelees so I'm getting the correct speed!
    Anyway I can increase this I.e. any settings to increase this, a WiFi booster, or new router etc

Any suggestions? Just to increase enough to be able to stream large movies? At the moment if I'm getting 3MB if I couLD increase this to say 6MB i think they would stream properly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

If you cannot connect by ethernet cable you could replace the router with one that supports 'wireless n', provided the TV also supports wireless n.

Also every device connecting by wireless to the router must support wireless n otherwise it will default to the speed of the slowest connected device.

Advertisement