Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox live money worthless

Options
  • 31-12-2015 2:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hello All

I went to the GAME shop in arklow just before christmas and bought a voucher for my young fella to renew the xbox live membership

you can imagine how dissapointed he was when he found that he could not use this microsoft money to renew the account

I was gutted <SNIP> paying €60 for something that is aparantly not able to be used to renew the account
    This despite asking the sales assistint in the shop that this was to renew the xbox live account

when I try to use it im asked for a credit card number to allow future deductions from my account

Does any one know of a way around this <SNIP> as Im certainly not in a position to go throwing away €60

Am I entitled to a refund from GAME for selling me something that I cannott use

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭upinthesky

you can buy them on ebay for as little as 2 euro for a 24hr trial, i always buy my yearly membership from ebay, think it's only 11 euro for 3 months membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭amikoalien2

upinthesky wrote: »
    you can buy them on ebay for as little as 2 euro for a 24hr trial, i always buy my yearly membership from ebay, think it's only 11 euro for 3 months membership.
    thanks for your reply

I had bougt the before in game and had no problem renewing but for some reason this time the xbox site will not allow you to use your money to buy the membership
    Im disgusted <SNIP> €60 when it says on the receipt

xbox live

yet you cant use it without signing up for a credit card debit / automatic renewal ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

thanks for your reply

I had bougt the before in game and had no problem renewing but for some reason this time the xbox site will not allow you to use your money to buy the membership
    Im disgusted <SNIP> €60 when it says on the receipt

xbox live

yet you cant use it without signing up for a credit card debit / automatic renewal ?

That reads to me that you can use it but need to provide card details for future renewals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭upinthesky

yes sorry, i didn't really answer your question, yes you have to sign up for repeated membership if you use your card to pay from xbox, i suggest ringing there customer service number and see if they can help you out..

Stheno wrote: »
    That reads to me that you can use it but need to provide card details for future renewals?
    yes that appeard to be the jist of it
    But as i dont have a credit card im snookered with a useless voucher
    / piece of paper that I paid €60 for
    What kind of senile old codger does that make me :confused:

I have sent a mail of complaint to GAME for selling me something that i cant use without signing up for a service which I cant sign up for unless I get a credit card

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

yes that appeard to be the jist of it
    But as i dont have a credit card im snookered with a useless voucher
    / piece of paper that I paid €60 for
    What kind of senile old codger does that make me :confused:

I have sent a mail of complaint to GAME for selling me something that i cant use without signing up for a service which I cant sign up for unless I get a credit card

Have you a debit card?

upinthesky wrote: »
    yes sorry, i didn't really answer your question, yes you have to sign up for repeated membership if you use your card to pay from xbox, i suggest ringing there customer service number and see if they can help you out..

Again thanks for the replys

dont want to ring as its most likley a premium rate number to compliment <SNIP>

Looks like I might just as well accept that ive been had

Just very dissapointed with Game for selling me something useless this time round
    Worked fine last year just bought the voucher and gave to to him and he was a happy bunny

This year I just might as well handed him a piece of jax roll titled ( IOU ) for all it was worth

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

It's badly trained staff in the Game shop you purchased it from...

They should have sold you a 12 month subscription, not 60 euro credit for the store - 2 completely different thing's....

I had similar 2 Xmas ago (I was actually working for Xbox at the time!) with my boys getting 60 euro store credit from Gran to renew their membership, just had to spend it on games instead - GameStop here are the ones at fault....

Fieldog wrote: »
    It's badly trained staff in the Game shop you purchased it from...

They should have sold you a 12 month subscription, not 60 euro credit for the store - 2 completely different thing's....

I had similar 2 Xmas ago (I was actually working for Xbox at the time!) with my boys getting 60 euro store credit from Gran to renew their membership, just had to spend it on games instead - GameStop here are the ones at fault....
    Thanks

I specificly asked for points to renew the xbox live account so he could play online

How many other people have been caught out

Probably cost €15 in petrol to drive back down to arklow to complain
    to be greeted by a pimply teenager telling me its my fault that I did not know what I was buying ( hence me asking for xbox renewal )

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I bought my lad a years gold membership from cd keys, think it was around 40 with no need to input credit card details.

• Advertisement

"Premium number to compliment <SNIP>"?

Genuinely no idea what you mean by that, Xbox is a free phone number

Unfortunately Xbox can't help you here - they have no facility to!

It's GameStop where the problem is - so rather than giving out about it on an Internet forum - go to the Game shop and politely ask to deal with a manager about it - the managers in GS are very good at the most part and should help you out, and if they can't just tell them you will escalate it to head office for satisfaction...

I fail to see how this as a consumer issue to be fair...

Thanks

I specificly asked for points to renew the xbox live account so he could play online

How many other people have been caught out

Probably cost €15 in petrol to drive back down to arklow to complain
    to be greeted by a pimply teenager telling me its my fault that I did not know what I was buying ( hence me asking for xbox renewal )

You said you specifically asked for points - so your at fault here, Xbox currency was known as points for nearly 10 years, the clerk did as they should have here!!!

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I bought my lad a years gold membership from cd keys, think it was around 40 with no need to input credit card details.
    Paid €60 no fool like an old fool eh

Sick part is I bought the same last year and there was no problem

You said you specifically asked for points - so your at fault here, Xbox currency was known as points for nearly 10 years, the clerk did as they should have here!!!
    Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How did you buy from cdkeys without a credit card?

Paid €60 no fool like an old fool eh

Sick part is I bought the same last year and there was no problem

Sounds to me like you didn't really know what you wanted - then you mention to the clerk Xbox Points - who by doing their job gave you currency - it's just a mix up really, I wouldn't be hanging the clerk out to dry over your mistake!

Thanks for that

Anyway - lesson learned!

Have a look at a cheap code online.

You will save a few quid on petrol and as the lads mentioned they are cheap on CD keys sites...

Best of luck

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Del2005 wrote: »

How did you buy from cdkeys without a credit card?

No.

What I was referring to was the op stating he couldn't update the subscription on xbox live without inputting credit card details for future renewals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Hello All

I went to the GAME shop in arklow just before christmas and bought a voucher for my young fella to renew the xbox live membership

you can imagine how dissapointed he was when he found that he could not use this microsoft money to renew the account

I was gutted <SNIP> paying €60 for something that is aparantly not able to be used to renew the account
    This despite asking the sales assistint in the shop that this was to renew the xbox live account

when I try to use it im asked for a credit card number to allow future deductions from my account

Does any one know of a way around this <SNIP> as Im certainly not in a position to go throwing away €60

Am I entitled to a refund from GAME for selling me something that I cannott use

thanks

You asked game for the wrong thing, no harm though - just stick in PayPal or a debit card if you have no credit card. Then ensure you set the subscription to not autorenew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

You asked game for the wrong thing, no harm though - just stick in PayPal or a debit card if you have no credit card. Then ensure you set the subscription to not autorenew.

Yea agreed, surely you have a visa or master card debit card.

These work

• Advertisement

You asked game for the wrong thing,
    To be honest I asked for to be able to renew his live account ! Thats why I asked so I would not get the wrong thing

Anyway I dont have a credit card just my banklink card and will not be giving anyone that

So I guess enough said

If a mod could close this thread
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

All bank link cards are Visa Debt now if i am not mistaking ?. So you can use it online .....

Your 1st mistake was going into gamestop and buying something with there crazy prices. 60 euros for xbox live holy cow batman. I have not paid for then 25 a year for it thanks to CD key sites and the likes.

If your stuck with 60 euros gift card for the store its not to bad you can buy loads of games with it as the sale is on at the moment for the store and the games are so much cheeper then gamestop.

Well every where is cheaper then Gamestop.

All bank link cards are Visa Debt now if i am not mistaking ?. So you can use it online .....

Your 1st mistake was going into gamestop and buying something with there crazy prices. 60 euros for xbox live holy cow batman. I have not paid for then 25 a year for it thanks to CD key sites and the likes.

If your stuck with 60 euros gift card for the store its not to bad you can buy loads of games with it as the sale is on at the moment for the store and the games are so much cheeper then gamestop.

Well every where is cheaper then Gamestop.

I dont imagine buying games would be much good to him if he cant play online as I dont have any more money to give him for an account now

You think your doing the right thing by going into a shop ( bricks & mortar ) supporting irish business and this is the thanks you get

Anyway thanks for your reply

You should be able to simply add the subscription via a redeem code option on the dashboard without any CC on the account...

If it is a child account though sometimes it verifies your card (some EU privacy law) with a .50c debit and refunds it after 2 days, depends on your bank though....

You can always remove the card immediately by signing in with the Xbox account here :

https://commerce.microsoft.com/

You should be able to simply add the subscription via a redeem code option on the dashboard without any CC on the account...

If it is a child account though sometimes it verifies your card (some EU privacy law) with a .50c debit and refunds it after 2 days, depends on your bank though....

You can always remove the card immediately by signing in with the Xbox account here :

https://commerce.microsoft.com/
    Ah kids being kids in a rush to get sorted he redeemed the code and then tried to renew at which point it was asking for a credit card for automatic renewal
    So he cancelled out and now he has nothing but a worthless promise of credit that he cant spend

Ah kids being kids in a rush to get sorted he redeemed the code and then tried to renew at which point it was asking for a credit card for automatic renewal
    So he cancelled out and now he has nothing but a worthless promise of credit that he cant spend

If he has 60 euros in his account there is 60 euros in his account to spend. .....

You can buy a lot with your xbox cridt from the xbox store.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

To be honest I asked for to be able to renew his live account ! Thats why I asked so I would not get the wrong thing

Anyway I dont have a credit card just my banklink card and will not be giving anyone that

So I guess enough said

If a mod could close this thread
    Thanks

Credit does allow you to buy live, you are just refusing to add your card details to the account to complete the transaction - hardly Games fault now is it? What do you think MS will do with your card details that you are so hesitant to enter them?

Thread title is misleading imo.

Credit does allow you to buy live, you are just refusing to add your card details to the account to complete the transaction - hardly Games fault now is it? What do you think MS will do with your card details that you are so hesitant to enter them?

Thread title is misleading imo.

How many times do I need to say I dont have a credit card !!!!!!!!

If you dont have anything constructive to add maybe you should not comment at all

Go find someone else to goad

Good luck & goodbye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

How many times do I need to say I dont have a credit card !!!!!!!!

If you dont have anything constructive to add maybe you should not comment at all

Go find someone else to goad

Good luck & goodbye

You've already been told you can add your debit card details in place of a credit card, but you won't do it.

So it's not worthless. you're refusing to add card details (seriously, they're not gonna empty your account, they're a reputable company), so you're not allowing him to redeem it for live membership

• Advertisement

I really don't see why you are getting so high up over setting up a xbox live membership its your fault that you don't have it set up.

Another way you get set it up is download the Revolut app for your phone (You prob don't wont to download a app as the Ninjas might steel your photos). You get a card number there and your good to go to set up a xbox live account. I use this card to buy from the Xbox Russia store no problem what so ever.

Also as said before all bank cards are now Visa Debit cards and you can enter that no problem.

Advertisement