Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHI or AVIVA please help!

Options
  • 31-12-2015 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I really need some help with changing health care policy. I am changing from the VHI health plus choice plan to either VHI plan PMI 35 13 or the Aviva Plan 16.1? Can anyone tell me if this is a major change from the current plan I'm on???? And which plan is better 1) VHI plan PMI 35 13 or 2) Aviva Plan 16.1? The price difference is massive going from about 2730 to roughly 1230. Is there a better plan I should go with? I don't need a private room I just want to be covered if anything happens to me. I really need help with this as I can't make out any major differences at all really (just the price).
    All advice really appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Slick.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

You really need to look up the hia.ie site... Do a compare of the policies and you can then see the differences and decide...
    slick14 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I really need some help with changing health care policy. I am changing from the VHI health plus choice plan to either VHI plan PMI 35 13 or the Aviva Plan 16.1? Can anyone tell me if this is a major change from the current plan I'm on???? And which plan is better 1) VHI plan PMI 35 13 or 2) Aviva Plan 16.1? The price difference is massive going from about 2730 to roughly 1230. Is there a better plan I should go with? I don't need a private room I just want to be covered if anything happens to me. I really need help with this as I can't make out any major differences at all really (just the price).
    All advice really appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Slick.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

+1 to what Oral Surgeon said above, the hia website is a great resource. The other thing you'd need to watch out for is waiting periods that would apply to upgrades in your cover ie say your current policy has 90% cover for high tech hospitals, and your new policy has 100% cover, you may only be covered for 90% until the waiting period expires (usually 12 months but could be more depending on your age or if it's a pre-existing condition)

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭slick14

Toots wrote: »
    +1 to what Oral Surgeon said above, the hia website is a great resource. The other thing you'd need to watch out for is waiting periods that would apply to upgrades in your cover ie say your current policy has 90% cover for high tech hospitals, and your new policy has 100% cover, you may only be covered for 90% until the waiting period expires (usually 12 months but could be more depending on your age or if it's a pre-existing condition)

Hi
    I have had a look and I think the AVIVA plan looks better? They seem to be pretty much the same but AVIVA have less of an excess. Can some one explain "pre existing conditions" to me? I have already done my waiting periods? I thought you only had to do waiting periods once? So does this mean that every time you change your policy you are not covered any more?
    Cheers for the advice,
    Slick.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,914 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

You've only got to do waiting periods on the portions of the cover that is better than what you currently have, you'll be covered to the same level as what you have straight away. A pre existing condition is anything that is already wrong with you ie: if you had a heart problem or had surgery on a torn ligament in your knee etc. You'll always have cover equivalent to what you've already got, but if your new policy offers a higher level of benefits, the waiting period applies to the upgraded bit only.

To give you an example a friend of mine recently got caught out with maternity cover: she got pregnant september before last, and her policy was due for renewal in October. Her policy covered semi-private room in public hospital, but she was going semi-private and hoping for a private room so when she was renewing her cover, she upgraded to one that covered private room in public hospital. However, there's a 52 week waiting period on additional maternity benefit, but she never checked that before changing policy. So when she was coming up to the time she was having the baby, she was only about 35 weeks in to the waiting period. She was still covered for a semi-private room in the public hospital, and luckily she'd been on the phone to her insurance company a few weeks before giving birth, and mentioned something about getting her private room, and the girl on the phone told her she would only be covered up to the semi-private rate. So if she'd ended up with a private room, she'd have been liable for the shortfall (which probably would have run into the thousands).

Advertisement