Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Spoonies - The Glamorous Awards Ceremony.

• 31-12-2015 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭

...a camera pans across a glittering auditorium, tCC judging panel try to make their way to their seats without tripping over their unfamiliarly long and unwieldy dresses, Oscar de la Renta waiting just off stage with a Red Wine Stain Devil and a cloth in case MissF does herself in again, Securicor reverses noisily into the hall with their precious cargo of Spoons, the mods realise that paying them to drive all the way to Monaco with said Spoons might have been fiscally irresponsible and dread the invoice convo with Boards HQ in the New Year...

LADIES & GENTLEMEN! WELCOME TO THE 2015 SPOONIES!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

To open things off, the mods (all of us who have been Mods the lifetime of the cooking club, including the wonderful Bazmo & the Hill Billy) want to thank every single one of you. This club has been rolling for 7 years! In internet terms that's like it's been running from Flintstones to Jetsons, it's hugely impressive. Lolcats didn't make it this long!

None of it would happen without you. Our lovely posters. From posting recipes to making them, you are just legends & the nicest bunch of people online. To everyone who signed up, who jumped in when we needed an emergency recipe, who asked questions & who answered them. Who took photos, who went out of their way, who inspired us at Christmas, on our birthdays, on 'UGH WHAT WILL I EAT' dreary Wednesdays. Thank you. I'm, honestly, doing a bit of this right now.

E4g7SGc.jpg

(and on a little bit of housekeeping - some posters popped up a lot. And won more than one category. Cos you're awesome. And if you did win more than one category, we made the mod decision that we'd send you one spoon. Cos then we could spread the love around a bit further :) We hope that's ok with you all.)

Seeing as how these appeared on Christmas tables the length & breadth of the country and abroad, it's no surprise that the overwhelming vote for best side dish went to BaZmO* & his stuffing balls.

For our sweet dishes we had a tie that we could not break. CombatCow - thank you for your Simple Lemon Drizzle Cake. I am proof that you can actually burn the bottom of these accidentally on a hob and they will still be utterly delicious.

And who among us does not have friends & workmates who think they are the most unbelieveable baker going because of Faith's caramel squares?

Congratulations guys!!

There are no words, just 'om nom nom nom'ing noises and the sounds of dipping. And then the sounds of an epic fight over who gets the last one MrsFox & your Summer Rolls. Congratulations :)

Do you remember when no on in Ireland knew what pulled pork was? But we did. And then when it started appearing on menus it was hard to get excited about, cos you already made it way, way better at home. Hundreds of us have been swarmed by friends and family members and people we've never actually met before but who have hopped our back walls, enticed by the smell because of Sparks and his utterly epic pulled pork recipe.

This is one of the most beautiful recipes we've ever come across, a ode to lasagne so gorgeous we get all emotional reading it. The Sweeper's Classic Lasagne is our second 'Best Main Course'

Who's kept us in take away dishes better than we can we can actually buy? Padraig Mór has. For your Lamb Doner Kebabs (with sauces!) you have been be-spooned.

We can't emphasise enough how the people who comment & contribute after a recipe has been posted make this place. You are as important as salt is. Without people who comment & make recipes & answer questions and help and guide lost Cooking Club lambs this would have all fizzled out years ago.

We have 3 Legendary Contributors, all of whom have shone over the years. Step up to the podium MrsFox, Malari & Curry Addict!!

• Advertisement

A *lot* of work goes into the Cooking Club behind the scenes. Seriously, lots and all voluntarily and entirely for the love of the place. And without one person literally none of that would ever happen. For the whole life of the Cooking Club one person has poured their heart & soul in, while studying, working, moving continents etc. etc., and done 99% of the work of keeping the show on the road.

Myself, tHB, Dizzyblonde, Merkin & Ivytheterrible want to recognise & say thank you, so much, to Faith. You're the best. If we could get you a solid gold spoon we would.

A big thing happened this year, that gave all the mod team a bit of a wobbly-lip-of-sorrow. After 5 years of moderating Food & Drink and all who sail within her, the Hill Billy left us to ascend to the heights of Admin-ing.

No one who posts anywhere in these fora we call home can have failed to have noticed how awesome he is. How nicely he manages the very odd grumpy post or mean post or 'hey, will this poison my kids if I give it to them' post. His genuine love of food & cooking and his lovely, sparkly personality have made Food & Drink what it is over the years he's been here.

Not that he's allowed properly leave us, we insist he hangs about and talks to us every so often, but we are bespooning the Hill Billy for services to Food & Drink.

Just a few little bits of housekeeping :)

I know the titles of awards are slightly different to what we asked you to vote for, this is because I didn't factor in the amount of closed accounts who had awesome recipes and we had to do a little juggling. Hope that's ok for everyone!

If you're one of our Glamorous Winners, please pm me with your address and I will get your spoon to you. Baring in mind the holiday season is still with us I wouldn't expect these to be in the post for another week or two. (and,not that anyone would make a fuss, but one spoon even if you won loads of categories)

Thank you, thank you, thank you to the mod team who worked on this and to Dav & DeVore who made the award spoons with their own fair hands.

Our 'thanks for voting!' spoon was pulled from a hat and is going to Toto Wolfcastle

Yiz are all the best.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Great post(s) MissF. Well done.

And thanks for all the votes, can't wait to get my Spoonie! :)

I think it's quite fitting that the Stuffing Balls recipe won it for me considering it was my Grandmother's recipe and it was her 93rd birthday yesterday. Unfortunately she's not as compos mentis as she once was but I'm sure if she was she'd be delighted that her recipe carries on.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,789 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What a marvellous compére you are, MissF!

My heartiest congratulations to all of the winners!

Thank you also very, very much for my Spoonie. (I am having a quiet pint in my local right now & am getting quare looks from a couple of the lads as I clear the lump from my throat. :o)

Well done to all who have contributed to TCC over the years. Without you it would not have been the success it has been.

Happy cooking folks!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Well, that happened suddenly :D. When I went to sleep, we were still at the "Ehhhhh" stage, and when I woke up, this was all here! Thank you so much to Mrs Flitworth for coming up with the idea and organising the whole thing! It's been wonderful to have a way to give back to all of you for all that you have given over the years.

I'm totally blown away by my Legends of tCC award :o. I'll admit, there's been more than one time where I've grumbled "F*cking cooking club..." under my breath, but this is one forum on boards that is consistently positive, helpful, encouraging and tasty! It has been a joy to guide and to see it develop and grow over the years. So thank you all!

One other thing I wanted to mention: SO many dishes got voted for. Typically the winners only won by a vote or two (apart from BaZmO, that really was a landslide!). Hopefully we can share the list of all of the dishes who got votes soon because these awards only show the surface of how much many dishes are valued and loved and cooked all the time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Congrats to all the winners! Well deserved. This was a lovely idea.

I think Miss Flitworth should the award for best way with words!

Can't believe my name was pulled out of the hat. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Well done Mods and Spoonies - sterling effort all round. Think I've tried all the winners and if I'd managed to get my act together I'd have voted for most of them as well! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Super result. That was a great idea as some people contribute so much to this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Aaaah thanks a million guys. And well done to the spoonies and contributors.
    Thanks to all the mods, especially MissF for the wonderful post :)

Faith wrote: »
    One other thing I wanted to mention: SO many dishes got voted for. Typically the winners only won by a vote or two (apart from BaZmO, that really was a landslide!). Hopefully we can share the list of all of the dishes who got votes soon because these awards only show the surface of how much many dishes are valued and loved and cooked all the time :)

Awesome idea! All nominations below, not in any order {and appearing slowly over the next couple of hours as I update...}
    Sides Nominations
    Stuffing Balls BaZmO*
    Chili Jam Faith
    Potato Side Dishes Potato side dishes
    Simple Sides Malari
    Cheesy, garlicy potato gratin Teletext Pear
    Cheesy Spinach Dip Mystery Egg
    Pho Bo MrsFox

Sweets
    Caramel Squares Faith
    Simple Lemon Drizzle Cake Combat Cow
    Raspberry and Pecan Blondies Pigwidgeon
    Baileys and Malteser Cheesecake Muahahaha
    Jam Doughnut Muffins Wurly
    Apple Tart Confusticated
    Courgette Bread NeuroPraxis
    Fleur de Sel Cookies Pigwidgeon
    Everyday Chocolate Cake Biddy Widdy
    Lemon Meringue Pie Random Person
    Lazy Girl Chocolate Cheese Cake SarahBeep!
    Simple Chocolate Fondants Mr Magnolia

Snacks
    Summer Rolls MrsFox
    Irish Tea Brack The Black Oil
    Jam Doughnut Muffins Wurly
    Faith's Scones Faith :)
    Žagarėliai BaZmO*
    Flapjacks Khannie
    Goats Cheese Crostini irish_goat
    Coca Cola Chicken Wings Mellor
    Double Choc Cookies - Gauge
    Chinese Hot Dog Buns RobertFoster
    Strawberry Dumplings Omri
    Beans on Toast Darkginger
    Mars Bar Treats Neuropraxis

Main Courses
    Sparks Pulled Pork Sparks
    Indian Restaurant Curries Curry Addict
    Sparks Chili Sparks
    Creamy Bacon & Pea Pasta Mr Magnolia
    Tagliatelle Carbonara w/Garlic Bread BaZmO*
    Malaysian Curry Curry Addict
    Vietnamese Roast Chicken Minder
    Chicken & Chorizo Rice Bake nice1franko 
    Chili Beef w/Noodles James Reeves
    Spinach & Ricotta Gnocchi Swampy
    Pesto Chicken Faith
    Stroganoff Baldy Conscience
    Butter Chicken Seanah
    Buttermilk fried chicken w/spiced up macv& cheese Honey-ec
    Chorizo Quesadilla emc2
    Sweet & Sour Chicken Padraig Mor
    Lamb Donor Padraig Mor
    Spicy Thai Noodle Soup Mr Magnolia
    Lamb Tagine w/lemon cous cous  foodaholic 
    Chorizo & Chickpea Stew Nicolas Cage
    Red Wine Rosemary Beef Stew w/dumplings pts
    Chicken Korma homemadecider
    America style Pancake with maple syrup and bacon emc2
    Death by cheese pizza Cheshire Cat
    Chicken a la king littlehedgehog
    Thai Beanburgers & Sweet Potato Wedges John Mason
    Classic Las+B1:C28agne The Sweeper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

That was a brilliant idea and the presentation of the awards was superb. I could literally feel my excitement building as I anticipated the winners!! I don't post often but read this thread daily and have received help and inspiration along with incredible food envy!!!
    Thanks to all who regularly contribute and make it so enjoyable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,570 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Just saw this. Thanks very much guys - I accept my award with pride and will assault your waistlines again in the coming year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Ooh, I've only seen this now! Sorry for not being more of a regular contributor in the past year...I will renew my efforts to join in more in 2016, for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Yay! Thanks so much for the Spoonie Award, I will cherish it. Congrats to everyone nominated, lots of fantastic recipes there! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Completely missed this entire thing because I took a week off from the world after peeling a turkey for xmas and serving rudolph as a starter :D Now very very chuffed. Thanks everyone!

Just... so.. overwhelmed...

bc.gif

ps. Wasn't kidding about Rudolph...

6r6eKKLl.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

... the mods realise that paying them to drive all the way to Monaco with said Spoons might have been fiscally irresponsible and dread the invoice convo with Boards HQ in the New Year...

I thought the mods only holidayed in Rick's Café Americain, shocking to hear there may be gambling too.

1330667024448553511.jpg

Seriously - great job, all.

Advertisement