Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR16 - Chapter 1 - Go find a Big Hill!

Options
  • 31-12-2015 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year All. To compliment the SBR this year we are introducing a monthly challenge. Goal orientated, minimal input and a bit of fun, thats all :D

Eh?
    It is simply about breaking your monthly training target down to goals per activity. Why time? Well, 10 hours biking is 60km in the dirt for some and 300km on road for others. Time makes it a level playing field. Plus the dedicated S&C warriors with abs of steel amongst us can make their core, gym, skiing, karate, tree climbing etc count for something! The nitty gritty in a moment but for the zany challenge in January...

Go find a Big Hill!

The challenge (selected by a Mod) is to run uphill continuosly for 30 mins. No treadmills and no 5 minute climbs done repeatedly to make up 30 mins. It has to be a constant climb. You must post a link to your hill if available and a little info or numbers. The best effort at the challenge over the month gets to pick the zany challenge for February :) Oh and everyone who completes the zany challenge gets a bonus gold!

How does the rest work?
    At the start of the month set your goal time per discipline (only your first post counts towards your goals). Max 8 disciplines including the zany challenge and min 30 mins per discipline. At the end of the month just update what you did and bag your scores. You must post your results before month end to be counted. Late entries not accepted.

The Scoring
    Bronze = Set and hit a target
    Silver = Set a target and hit twice the volume (excluding zany challenge)
    Gold = Set a target greater that any previous months' total and hit it. (Bag the standard bronze as a bonous too). Cannot get this in January, obviously

Bonuses
    Bonus Bronze = Finish 3rd in any activity with 3+ participants or if you are the only person doing that activity or if you are 2nd of only 2 doing it
    Bonus Silver = Finish 2nd in any activity with 3+ participants or be 1st of only 2 doing an activity
    Bonus Gold = Finish 1st in any activity with 3+ participants and/or complete the monthly zany challenge

Input
    Copy this table and post it in your own post. We don't need everything on one table. You can update just at the end (find your original post) or as often as you like. Your table is your own. Goal volumes are in blocks of 30 minutes. Minimum 30 minutes per activity

name|goal 1 hh:mm(actual hh:mm)|goal 2()|goal 3()|goal 4()|goal 5()|goal 6()|goal 7()|goal 8()

Example of what a table might look like at month end
    shotgunmcos|run 3:00(actual 4:22)|MTB 2:00(1:10)|Strength 2:30(5:15)|Pool swim 0:30(1:00)|Big Hill! (completed 680m climb in 65mins)|Ballroom dancing 1:00(0:20)|OW swim 0:30(n/a)|goal 8(n/a) 4 of 7 targets hit (4x bronze) with 2x bonus silver and 1x bonus gold (plus any bonus for being 1,2 or 3)

You will probably know what your own score is at the end (Bronze =1pt, Silver = 2pts and gold = 3pts) but we will post the top 3 for each activity and the Mods can decide who wins the zany challenge. It would be useful if you tot up your own score or what you think it is on your results post at the end of the month. Lets see how it goes for January and take it from there :)

To keep it going I'll post a list of who is doing what after the first week or so.

Last thing. Having a hundred different activities would dilute it too much so there will be an element of agreed grouping going on per activity. Lets take an on/off road approach. Or during the summer pool vs OW.

Now to target a big hill somewhere... :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

I like your choice of big hill!! :D

When are we off??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The Big Hill chapter runs from Jan 1 - 31

1. Decide if you are going to do the Big Hill as a goal. Easy bonus gold for just 1 session!

2. Next set a volume target for each activity you will do in Jan. Min 30mins. Set those as your other goals. That's it.

It doesn't even have to be a table just a post with the goals in it that you can come back to. Old school :cool:

Right, a conservative kick off to get it going. Ideally pick up all 8 targets and make some of them silver

Goals
    Goal 1 - Go find a Big Hill|Goal 2 - Run 6:00| Goal 3 - Road Bike 6:00| Goal 4 - Swim 3:00| Goal 5 - Erg 3:00| Goal 6 - Paddle 1:00| Goal 7 - S&C - 3:00| Goal 8 - MTB - 1:00

Results
    Goal 1 Actual|Goal 2 Actual| Goal 3 Actual| Goal 4 Actual| Goal 5 Actual| Goal 6 Actual| Goal 7 Actual| Goal 8 Actual

Gonna be lazy and keep the same Goal positions as Shotgun. Swapping hike / climb for erg.

Approx 8 hours per week sure what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Goals
    Goal 1 - Go find a Big Hill|Goal 2 - Run (Road & Trail) 10:00| Goal 3 - Road Bike 6:00| Goal 4 - Swim 4:00| Goal 5 - Hike 2:00| Goal 6 - Paddle 3:00| Goal 7 - S&C - 2:00| Goal 8 - MTB & Hike a Bike- 6:00

Results
    Goal 1 Actual|Goal 2 Actual| Goal 3 Actual| Goal 4 Actual| Goal 5 Actual| Goal 6 Actual| Goal 7 Actual| Goal 8 Actual[/QUOTE]

Ah now. We are alll training. All putting time into it. Join in. Just a bit of fun :) 2 posts is all you need to take part. A goals post and come back at the end of the month to update what you actually did. Simple.

You can pick just one goal or 8. Up to you.

At least take on the "Find a big hill" challenge!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

Oh I love running up hills, nice one Mike. Good non greasy options in the West for this time of the year are Diamond Hill, Croagh Patrick or the 12 O Clock hills though I've fond memories from Booster hill in Castlebar.

This is a very much on the ambitious side but I'll hit a few of them I think.

Goals
    Goal 1 - Go find a Big Hill|Goal 2 - Run (Road & Trail) 20:00| Goal 3 - Road Bike 7:00| Goal 4 - Wattbike 12:00| Goal 5 - Hike 6:00| Goal 6 - Circuits/S&C 8:00| Goal 7 - MTB & Hike a Bike- 6:00

Welcome! 57hrs :eek: ambitious good luck!

So that's
    3 for Go find a Big Hill
    3 for running road and trail
    3 for road bike
    3 for MTB and hike a bike
    2 for hiking
    3 for S&C
    2 for swimming
    2 for paddling
    1 for watt bike
    1 for rowing erg

Sean and I being cute looking for silver and Neady comes along and goes straight for gold!

So that's
    3 for Go find a Big Hill
    3 for running road and trail
    3 for road bike
    3 for MTB and hike a bike
    2 for hiking
    3 for S&C
    2 for swimming
    2 for paddling
    1 for watt bike
    1 for rowing erg

Sean and I being cute looking for silver and Neady comes along and goes straight for gold!

I just re-read the rules. I should have played a smarter game. I can't win gold in January (except for the big hill), s**te.

I was just being lazy, didn't read the stuff up above at all. Just playing follow the leader with me ;)

Neady83 wrote: »
    I just re-read the rules. I should have played a smarter game. I can't win gold in January (except for the big hill), s**te.

There are actually 4 Bonus Golds up for grabs at the moment besides the Big Hill one (You get a Gold just for completing this)

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Bonuses

Bonus Gold = Finish 1st in any activity with 3+ participants and/or complete the monthly zany challenge

• Advertisement

Fair play at the Booster hill attempt Neady, close!. I'm planning Keeper for my attempt too. V slow to keep chugging along. Want company? Not sure but Sean may have bagged the first bronze today too. I've had a disaster of a week :cool:

Shame no one else in for the Craig. The 3 of us can Duke it out anyway. I'm keeping it alive

Fair play at the Booster hill attempt Neady, close!. I'm planning Keeper for my attempt too. V slow to keep chugging along. Want company? Not sure but Sean may have bagged the first bronze today too. I've had a disaster of a week :cool:

Shame no one else in for the Craig. The 3 of us can Duke it out anyway. I'm keeping it alive

Thanks Mike, I was disappointed, not enough true grit built up yet this year. Will have another stab at Booster in a month or so.

One or two of the ARSEs and myself are planning an assault on Keeper and a spin on the roadies after on Saturday morning if you're interested in both or just Keeper. The more the merrier :)

I'm liking this challenge regardless of how many of us are in :)

So first mark to Neady and it's a gold!

January Challenge is to go find a big hill and that she did. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1018309989

An hour constant climb. That will take a beating. For now Neady has a Gold, 3 points, pole position in the overall monthly challenge and currently has the right to name the zany challenge for February!

You go girl :D

Hang on, hang on!!

Doesn't count! That Garmin is in ft & miles, needs to be done again in m & km ;)

Well done Neady :)

Bronze for you both on the roadie goal too

Neady leads with 1 Gold and 1 Bronze
    Sean next with a Bronze
    Shotgun in bed with flu :mad:

Bronze for you both on the roadie goal too

Neady leads with 1 Gold and 1 Bronze
    Sean next with a Bronze
    Shotgun in bed with flu :mad:

Hope you're feeling better soon Mike, it would have been great to have your encouragement on Keeper on yesterday :)

As it stands (we are tracking on Google sheets )

Goals achieved
    Neady - gold, bronze = 4pts
    Sean - bronze, bronze = 2pts

Bonuses achieved
    Neady - bronze = 1pt
    Shotgun - bronze = 1pt

So totals
    Neady - 5pts
    Sean - 2pts
    Shotgun - 1pt

Still over a week to go and a load of targets and bonuses left.

***Stewards Enquiry***

About these bonuses.

I would have thought erg should fall into paddling and wattbike into turbo / spin?

I'm picking spelunking next month just to get a free bonus.

The details are below or find them here

Results overall

Neady smashed it with 59.5hrs all in and tops the list with 21 points. Neady also gets to choose the zany challenge for February!
    Big Hill Challenge complete for a bonus gold (3pts)
    4 of 7 goals hit for 4x bronze (4x 1pt)
    3 bonus golds (3x 3pts)
    2 bonus silver (2x 2pts)
    1 bonus bronze (1pt)

Sean is 2nd overall with a solid 33.5hrs and 13 points
    3 of 7 goals hit for 3x bronze
    1 bonus gold
    3 bonus silver
    1 bonus bronze

Shotgun 3rd overall (of 3 :cool:) with 18.5hrs and 9 points
    3 of 7 goals hit for 3x bronze
    1 bonus silver
    4 bonus bronze

The February challenge will kick off as soon as Neady picks the funky, zany goal and lets me know what it is. All participant points each month count towards the total in December.

In February its is the same points sytem but bonus golds are available for setting an activity goal that is greater that any total posted for that activity previously and hitting it.

Hopefully we will have a few more join in Feb but we will rock on regardless :P

Right, a conservative kick off to get it going. Ideally pick up all 8 targets and make some of them silver

Goals
    Goal 1 - Go find a Big Hill|Goal 2 - Run 6:00| Goal 3 - Road Bike 6:00| Goal 4 - Swim 3:00| Goal 5 - Erg 3:00| Goal 6 - Paddle 1:00| Goal 7 - S&C - 3:00| Goal 8 - MTB - 1:00

Results
    Goal 1 not done|Goal 2 ran 3.25hrs| Goal 3 biked 6.5hrs| Goal 4 swam 1hr| Goal 5 erged4.25hrs| Goal 6 not done| Goal 7 s&c 3.25hrs| Goal 8 not done
    sconhome wrote: »
    Gonna be lazy and keep the same Goal positions as Shotgun. Swapping hike / climb for erg.

Approx 8 hours per week sure what could go wrong? :rolleyes:

Goals
    Goal 1 - Go find a Big Hill|Goal 2 - Run (Road & Trail) 10:00| Goal 3 - Road Bike 6:00| Goal 4 - Swim 4:00| Goal 5 - Hike 2:00| Goal 6 - Paddle 3:00| Goal 7 - S&C - 2:00| Goal 8 - MTB & Hike a Bike- 6:00

Results
    Goal 1 not done|Goal 2 ran 11.75hrs| Goal 3 biked 10.5hrs| Goal 4 swam 6.75hrs| Goal 5 not done| Goal 6 found an erg but it doesn't count as not specified!| Goal 7 s7c 1hr| Goal 8 2.75hrs
    [/QUOTE]
    Neady83 wrote: »
    Oh I love running up hills, nice one Mike. Good non greasy options in the West for this time of the year are Diamond Hill, Croagh Patrick or the 12 O Clock hills though I've fond memories from Booster hill in Castlebar.

This is a very much on the ambitious side but I'll hit a few of them I think.

Goals
    Goal 1 - Go find a Big Hill|Goal 2 - Run (Road & Trail) 20:00| Goal 3 - Road Bike 7:00| Goal 4 - Wattbike 12:00| Goal 5 - Hike 6:00| Goal 6 - Circuits/S&C 8:00| Goal 7 - MTB & Hike a Bike- 6:00

Results
    Goal 1 - ran up Keeper Hill in Tipp
    Goal 2 - ran 23hrs
    Goal 3 - biked 7.5hrs
    Goal 4 - 12.5 hrs on the wattbike
    Goal 5 - hiked 2 hrs
    Goal 6 - 10 hrs S&C
    Goal 7 - 4.5hrs total

Advertisement