Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day trip from the city

Options
  • 31-12-2015 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭

Hoping some of guys can help out with some suggestions, also hope this is the best forum to post. Looking to do a day trip on Saturday or Sunday before we head back to work next week.

It'll be myself and my gf, possibly also our dog :), we'd be looking for somewhere within roughly hour of the city, have a car so not relying on public transport.

Somewhere with a nice bit of scenery and possibly a short walk, and a nice place for lunch would be what we're looking for

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Coole Park is a lovely spot for a walk and not too far from the city either. The Gallery Cafe nearby in Gort is meant to be a good spot for lunch, haven't been myself but have heard good things about it. Alternatively you could take a trip to Kinvara, some nice cafes/bars there if you were willing to take a short detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Kylemore Abbey is lovely. You can have a nice walk around the grounds, there is a cafe there as well or you could head into clifden after it. The drive from Kylemore to clifden is beautiful as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Daisy78 wrote: »
    Coole Park is a lovely spot for a walk and not too far from the city either. The Gallery Cafe nearby in Gort is meant to be a good spot for lunch, haven't been myself but have heard good things about it. Alternatively you could take a trip to Kinvara, some nice cafes/bars there if you were willing to take a short detour.

It's lovely alright, but judging from the pictures on the News last night, a lot of the area is flooded right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Daisy78

It's lovely alright, but judging from the pictures on the News last night, a lot of the area is flooded right now.

Yea totally forgot about that...probably best avoided. Come to think of it a lot of areas outside of the city are no go areas at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Given the weather and it's consequences I'd not be heading much further than Barna woods, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Head out to renville, it's the on the outskirts of oranmore, has a path around so u won't get your wet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, we didn't end up going on a trip and went home for the night instead but I will def keep the suggestions in mind for the future.

Also want to through in another option that was suggested to me by a friend in case anyone is using the ideas in this thread Ballynahinch Castle is just over an hour from the city and has a lovely walk

• Registered Users Posts: 13,127 ✭✭✭✭flazio

A bit over an hour away but Slieve Bloom is packed with great walks, all free to access.
    Slievebloom.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cong walks
    http://www.mayowalks.ie/WalkingTrails/LocalisedLoopWalks/CongWalks/

Trail Name: Lough Corrib Loop Walk
    Trailhead: Ard na Gaoithe Car Park
    Length: 3.4 kms
    Estimated Time: 1.75 hrs
    Degree of Difficulty: Easy
    Terrain: Forest Paths

Trail Name: Cong Nature Trail
    Trailhead: Church Car Park