Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Restaurant in Trim

Options
  • 31-12-2015 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm arranging a dinner for approx 20 people in Trim next April. Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in the town.
    Preferably with a set menu option but it's not essential.
    Have looked at trip advisor but nothing jumps out.

Whilst I'm at it.....any good pub recommendations also welcomed

Thanks a mil.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

The Stockhouse restaurant is pretty good I find, they do a very good steak and have a good choice of options. Franzinis is another option - it's average in my opinion, but it does cater well for kids if you need that.

You also have the option of eating at the restaurants of the hotels in the town - Castle Arch or the Trim Castle hotel. I've eaten in both and the food was good in both. Trim Castle hotel restaurant is Jules, have eaten there and enjoyed the food. Castle Arch is a bit more carvery style food but still very good if that's what you are after.

Khan Spices is an Indian restaurant in town, good choice if you like Indian food. There are other Asian options in town but I'm not a huge fan of Chinese/Thai food so I don't know much about them. Ate in Wau once years ago and I thought it was just average.

Pubs - sadly lacking good pubs in town, the usual haunt for most would be Lenihans in town or Marcies just a bit out of town. Both are nice spots but get packed at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

I've been to both the hotels above for family events and they've always been enjoyable.
    Friendly staff and good food in both. The Castle Arch might have a carvery, I know they do on Sundays. The Trim Castle would be a bit more formal and expensive. Franzini's is also by the castle. They do an early-bird menu til 7 Fri-Sat and til 5 on Sunday. I was in there last night and would recommend.

I don't know the pubs well as I usually meet people in Lenihan's, a very comfortable spot and fun on a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Your main options are Franzinis, Stockhouse and Jules in Trim Castle Hotel.

Having eaten in each of them in recent times, I would put Franzinis slightly ahead. Franzinis were the main restaurant for a number of years and the menu did not change. However the Stockhouse has forced it to up it's game again and I now think that the early-bird in Franzinis is better value and better quality than the Stockhouse. If someone was offering me a choice for, say, tonight, I would pick Franzinis.

However, for a group of 20 I actually think that Jules in Trim Castle Hotel is your best option. We have had a couple of biggish occasions there and they have a really nice table that is ideal for a group of that size. The menu is about 25euro a head. Less choice than the other two but what they do do, they do well. Franzinis and Stockhouse do not cater for bigger groups as well. If you checked their menu it might give you an idea if it's suitable. As mentioned above, Khan Spices is a good indian restaurant though I think they have slipped a bit but that's just a personal opinion based on takeaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Franzinis & the stockhouse are basically the same menu .....not much choice in trim im afraid ...take a bus to navan

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Thanks everyone. We're golfing and staying in knightsbrook but found their meal option quite expensive so looking for alternatives. Any other recommendations please keep them coming.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. We're golfing and staying in knightsbrook but found their meal option quite expensive so looking for alternatives. Any other recommendations please keep them coming.

Cheers.

Stay overnight on a golf, Dinner at Knightsbrook. Food was excellent. Got a great price on offer.

Any chance you getting back onto them to do a deal on a meal? they will gain also on bar receipt so they might be open to negotiation.

we got golf, diinner & BB for €55 per person, btw. Always doing these deals on Pigsback etc

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Goldenjohn

Howjoe1 wrote: »
    we got golf, diinner & BB for €55 per person, btw. Always doing these deals on Pigsback etc

Hi Joe, thanks for the advice. Can I ask what time of year was that. We are doing the Killeen Package with them and the meal portion was working at at €35 per head, hence why I am looking for alternatives

Goldenjohn wrote: »
    Hi Joe, thanks for the advice. Can I ask what time of year was that. We are doing the Killeen Package with them and the meal portion was working at at €35 per head, hence why I am looking for alternatives

We stay on a Sunday night,date around end of July. We chose the date, but choice was fairly flexible. It was through Pigsback.com offer.

Advertisement