Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cocker or Springer

Options
  • 31-12-2015 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Cocker or springer for rough shooting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

What about a sprocker

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Padc

Don't much about them. Have a springer at the minute. She's heading for 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭bizidea

It's springers for me anyway you thinking of bringing along another dog with the 8 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭weatherbyfoxer

Which ever you prefer...both great breeds hunt very simular

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭merv35

Sprocker all da way I,m hunting with my second retired the first one last year he was 13 and still I was gettin 3-4 hours hard hunting from him . Have a bitch now just turned 2 this is her first season and she,s hunting hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Padc

bizidea wrote:
    It's springers for me anyway you thinking of bringing along another dog with the 8 year old

Yea wouldn't mind having a 2nd dog. I'd be leaning towards a springer again I think

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mike2015

Padc wrote: »
    Cocker or springer for rough shooting?

Cockers look well when hunting but can come to a sudden stop when no scent on the ground.
    Springers for me with plenty of drive for hunting ( hard got) and a hole lot of manners on the whistle

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭deni20000

The main difference is that a springer, being larger, will have more stamina. Otherwise, not much difference although some say cockers are harder to train.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

deni20000 wrote: »
    The main difference is that a springer, being larger, will have more stamina. Otherwise, not much difference although some say cockers are harder to train.

Size of the dog has no bearing on the stamina of the dog that's just rubbish I have a tiny cocker bitch that will hunt all day no problem I have seen small springers go for longer then bigger springers and visa versa

We hunt over both cocker bitch which is a lovely bitch to hunt with she's a ball of dynamite but I prefer the springer I think they are a better dog to retrieve but that's may be just personal preference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭allan450

deni20000 wrote: »
    That is completely wrong its the other way around.Any one thats knows the differences between the two breeds thats the first thing that is noted.cockers also hunt better in the heat like summer rabbits.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 browning fusion

How long are springers and cockers lasting out shooting would ya get a full day out of them some dogs iv seen hunt every bit of cover but are burn out after 2 hours

How long are springers and cockers lasting out shooting would ya get a full day out of them some dogs iv seen hunt every bit of cover but are burn out after 2 hours

Little cocker and two of the springers will go for 6/7 hours in a day as long as they have scent to keep them interested but one if the mates will go for 3 hours and just be finished after that

• Registered Users Posts: 25 browning fusion

Ya know a few lads myself and there heading home by 12 o clock another lad has 6 springers and rotates them through out the day to get a full days hunting there seemed to be a bit more lasting in them 7 or 8 years ago has the field trail feckd up the breed

depends what you want.If you want a dog to go for 6/7 hours your going to lose the nice flashy speed.You will end up with a plodder.while great for rough shooting i cant bare to watch.I rotate dogs through the day switch dogs at lunch so around the 4 hour mark.But iv the dogs to do it.I got caught out today and had my little cocker bitch out for 7 hours springers all got burnt out she kept going.Its usually lads that not never had a cocker are the experts about the breed.;)

First time I've ever had a cocker and when I say she's small I think she's tiny compared to the springers but she will hunt ditches all day long no bother seriously thinking of breeding her with a nice handy sized springer anyone any experience with sprockers some lads say they make for a great hunting dog

I know of a 2 cocker dogs to put her to if you want.These are serious dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

Tommyaya4 wrote: »
    First time I've ever had a cocker and when I say she's small I think she's tiny compared to the springers but she will hunt ditches all day long no bother seriously thinking of breeding her with a nice handy sized springer anyone any experience with sprockers some lads say they make for a great hunting dog

I have 2 cockers , the bitch is no bigger than a terrier and will hunt ditches all day long. The dog is bigger and at 18 months now he is turning out to be a super dog. I find cockers are hardheaded but smarter than springers..i love watching the 2 cockers tearing cover asunder to get a cock or a woodcock into the air.

Advertisement