Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange lights over Co. Galway?

Options
  • 31-12-2015 9:34pm

Probably nobody else heard/saw this, but I'm after seeing quite strange lights over my place near Milltown in Co. Galway.

I could hear a rather loud droning noise, that was a consistent hum more or less. Went outside and saw what were quite strange lights, which I don't think was an airplane, because they seemed to be at an angle, as if they were going down to land. It was flashing red and green and orange along the side. Quite vivid lights.

It seems to have moved further over Tuam.

It might have been a helicopter, admittedly, because of the angle it was flying. Was the search and rescue one out, because that's usually the only one we get out this side?

If you listen with headphones, you can hear the droning sound over the sound of running water. The lights didn't come out, but they were the colours I described above. It kinda skips, because I was trying to zoom in on it with my phone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

Yes helicopter flying from city up towards lake at 8:30 same lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Yes it was Rescue 118 the Sligo Coastguard helicopter they brought in a critically ill patient to Galway Hospital last night, great service it is no rest for these guys.

I didn't realize they had such vivid lights. Was thinking it was the rescue helicopter, because those would be the only ones that fly out this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I didn't realize they had such vivid lights. Was thinking it was the rescue helicopter, because those would be the only ones that fly out this way.

They have exceptionally bright strobe lights especially useful in poor weather conditions and for ground crew's or ships to spot them coming in a rescue situation , I live near the hospital in Galway and was heading into work before Christmas in the morning in stormy conditions when suddenly the sky ahead of me light up and the Coastguard helicopter appeared out of the gloom and landed at the hospital

Advertisement