Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scalp Acne

Options
  • 31-12-2015 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Have this now for a few years coming and going but now getting to stage where it needs dealing with. Have tried medicated and anti fungal shampoos and anti fungal melds. Have been told anti-biotic will only cure it temporarily and that roaccutane is next step but not sure this us what I want.
    Pimples are not sore but itchy particularly when wearing a cap or when pillow gets hot at night
    Would love to hear from anybody in similar situation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

My husband had an itchy scalp but it was not acne and he controls the itching using jojoba oil. I had read wellnesstoday.com/beauty/15-surprising-beauty-uses-for-jojoba-oil sub heading: "anti acne gel" I hope this helps you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

La Roche posay kerium shampoo is what I find works for me. It keeps it under control but I still get breakouts.

Roaccutane stopped it for a while but it came back

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

fits wrote: »
    La Roche posay kerium shampoo is what I find works for me. It keeps it under control but I still get breakouts.

Roaccutane stopped it for a while but it came back

Is it the one for oily skin?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

torregolf wrote: »
    Is it the one for oily skin?

That's the one I use. But there are a few formulations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

torregolf wrote: »
    Have this now for a few years coming and going but now getting to stage where it needs dealing with. Have tried medicated and anti fungal shampoos and anti fungal melds. Have been told anti-biotic will only cure it temporarily and that roaccutane is next step but not sure this us what I want.
    Pimples are not sore but itchy particularly when wearing a cap or when pillow gets hot at night
    Would love to hear from anybody in similar situation

I was prescribed Rozex gel, as i have Rosacea, also have small pimples on scalp, & was told results will not be overnite & will take a while to see.

Also for Sebhorreic Dermatits (a sort of dandruff)
    T-Gel shampoo was mentioned & Silcock's Base as a moisturiser.

Roaccutane was mentioned recently in the RTE medical show with Dr Pixie McKenna, maybe you might get some tips on that also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Miss_Lauren

Roaccutane is basically the strongest medication you can get for acne. It can only be prescribed by a dermatologist and has a huge list of side effects including very dry skin and eyes. You need to be very careful in the sun (even on a cloudy day) while on it, and its hard on the liver too so you need to get bloods checked every month. I've taken a course of it twice for facial acne and it worked both times, but after approx a year I still get occasional break outs.
    They has been a lot written about roaccutane and mental health, but personally I didn't suffer any side effects in relation to my mental health.

I would only take it as an absolute last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

My OH suffers from spotty scalp, quite itchy too. He's been using the Vichy Sebo-Correcteur shampoo and swears by it.

http://www.vichy.co.uk/hair-care/oil-control-dercos/p9760.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

Roaccutane is basically the strongest medication you can get for acne. It can only be prescribed by a dermatologist and has a huge list of side effects including very dry skin and eyes. You need to be very careful in the sun (even on a cloudy day) while on it, and its hard on the liver too so you need to get bloods checked every month. I've taken a course of it twice for facial acne and it worked both times, but after approx a year I still get occasional break outs.
    They has been a lot written about roaccutane and mental health, but personally I didn't suffer any side effects in relation to my mental health.

Thanks for that. I had reservations about going on the Roacc but will suffer it out I think

• Registered Users Posts: 47 blondchick

I don't suffer from this but Dr pixie McKenna featured it on her show "you should really see a dr" on rte a few weeks ago. It might be worth a look on the player. Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I don't know if you can confirm, but a good while ago that my sister-in-law told me once that Roaccutane was banned in the US, as her cousin used it.

Similar to Rozex gel/cream, you have to avoid sunlight & use sparingly.
    Also La Roche Posay Legere is also good as its a moisturiser+SPF15.

• Advertisement
Advertisement