Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workings of a marine diesel engine.

• 31-12-2015 9:59pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I thought this was a good way to explain the basic running of a diesel engine :)

bff08d143d_zpsl61qeni5.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 stevemul

Interesting working diagram Fergal but slightly confusing. When the camshaft rotates, opening the exhaust valve, it then appears to push the inlet valve the opposite way to that which would open the valve. Could you explain please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

hth :

OAjwaVp.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

stevemul wrote: »
    Interesting working diagram Fergal but slightly confusing. When the camshaft rotates, opening the exhaust valve, it then appears to push the inlet valve the opposite way to that which would open the valve. Could you explain please?

That's the diagram world :) it's not the same cam pushing both valves there would be two or more in a line, in a more realistic world it would look a bit like this.

engine-with-overhead-camshaft.base1x_zpsnkzfovdk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18 John7610

I have 2 x Yanmar D36 DIESEL OUTBARDS that need repairs.

Is this something you can look at or could you please recommend someone.

This is the model:

https://balticmachinery.com/yanmar-diesel-outboards/yanmar-d36

I can bring outboards anywhere in Ireland.

Thanks,
    John

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry but it's too new to interest me I prefer older engines with no electronic brains :D These should be able to help you out http://www.killenmarine.ie/our-services/

• Advertisement
Advertisement