Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnetic Philkips Head screwdriver

Options
  • 31-12-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Are magnetic screwdrivers a no no when building a pc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I have used them grand, they're not strong enough to mess with anything afaik

I'm not responsible for any damage caused :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Keep them away from the mechanical HDD to be uber safe but after watching linus and his array of magnetic bits and bobs when building a PC you'll be grand.

For me what more dangerous, scraping around printed circuits trying to pick up a screw or using a magnetic screwdriver? (Rhetorical :pac:)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

They're fine because most Phillips come with a 0.3N Magnetic Force, which is very small. HDDs are recommended to be supported upto 0.5N of Magnetic force, so you should be cool, but as always, this is not a regulated standard outside enterprise models.
    So as DS said, keep em away from your HDDs for peace of mind, and use them to eliminate PCB scratching as MarkAnthony said.

Advertisement