Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child care jobs

Options
  • 31-12-2015 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi I'm going back to Australia this time with my other half. She works in childcare here and is looking to know if anyone here has got a similar job In Australia? Are her qualifications from
    Northern Ireland the equivalent to Australian? Anything she should know about? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

My partner is Australian and did her Certificate III in Child Services qualifications in TAFE over here many years ago.
    She has been working as a nanny for years both here in Australia and in London for 5 years. Generally they will look more for experience and references than a qualification.

It depends what qualifications your partner has, if its child care, education etc that it might need some sort of transfer of recognition.

The first thing she will need to do is attain a "Working With Children Check" which can involve getting a police check from every country you've ever lived in. You can get ahead by obtaining any police checks before coming over here and avoid waiting on them to post it etc. Just google WWC for the state or Territory you are planning to reside in.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭ben10afc

Thanks for your help, anyone know what the wages are like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

For Nanny work in Sydney, doing 40 hours a week with a good family, you'll be looking at about $50K a year.

There are some jobs that offer significantly less, look for more hours or live in nanny's etc and want to pay cash in hand... but the market in Sydney is pretty good. My partner has never struggled for work. All the families she has worked for have just looked for good references, have been good to work for and legitimate, all above board, holiday pay etc...

Some sites to look at are:

https://www.facebook.com/My-Little-Friend-Nanny-Agency-Sydney-309513061007/

http://www.lullabynannyshare.com.au/

and then there is gumtree as well.

There are temp agencies as well for babysitting work on weekends if you want to get some extra work/cash too.

Advertisement