Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My dog attacked me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of my dogs bit someone, requiring stitches, some years ago. I took steps to understand why it had happened and to ensure she was never in that position again and she never harmed anyone else until the end of her days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭bilbot79

That dog needs to be taught who's boss. Talk of putting him down is ridiculous, he needs a smack on the nose to understand that humans are very very important.
    As a family you need to talk about it and your dad is very culpable here too. I bet he secretly enjoys the dogs protectiveness but he'll really have to cop on and discipline him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I was incorrect in an earlier post regarding pack mentality and it was interesting to study the Mods information regarding this.It was an eye-opener but well received.

This is such a breath of fresh air to read. :o The amount of people I have come across who verbally stomp their feet and cover their eyes and ears at the suggestion that there's no such thing as "pack behaviour" with dogs in the home despite a heap of information thrown their way can be so mentally draining for me... you have given me hope again. Lol.

And well done with working with your Collie to bring his confidence up and make his world feel like a safer place. As a person with an extremely sensitive sheepdog, I know it is such a rewarding feeling when you see them learning new coping skills and even begin to enjoy the things/situations that they once feared.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hang on a second DBB, I value your opinion, and I would never say you are wrong. However I have grown up around dogs, and I am a dog owner.,In my own opinion, It is not acceptable to own a dog that is a threat to people. A dog that has attacked multiple times needs to be put to sleep in my opinion. I think it is beyond foolish to allow this dog to interact with people/family and hope all improves.

You're welcome to challenge whether I'm right or wrong, it's a discussion forum ;)
    You're changing the goalposts now, in all fairness. Your post that I originally quoted said you'd have had the dog put to sleep after the first bite, but now you're saying you'd do the deed after multiple attacks... They are two very different things. If a dog bites repeatedly, despite appropriate interventions having been made, then of course difficult decisions have to be made (though after multiple incidents, the decision might be less difficult), and I have not shied away from saying that euthanasia is sometimes the only option, as people often seem to think that all dogs are fixable, when they're not.
    However, I know many dogs who have bitten once but never bit again, or who have bitten a couple of times in trying circumstances but have done no harm. Should these dogs die? I don't think they should.
    Let me throw some real-time examples at you that I've encountered to illusyrate.
    My own dog got knocked down, her leg got caught up in the chassis of the car, and smashed. When I released her, she bit me. Going by the one-bite rule, she should now be dead.
    Another dog who isn't all that comfortable about being cuddled. He's a terrier, it's common for them. His new fosterer picked him up, stuck her face into his having never met him before, and kissed him on the nose. He bit her lip. Nobody has ever attempted this move with him since. He has never bitten again. By the one-bite rule, he should be dead.
    A dog who bites the vet when he's getting vaccinated. He's gentle with all people in all other circumstances. The vet simply muzzles him now. Should this dog die?
    A dog who's owner mistakenly stands on his tail, hurting him. Dog bites owner's leg having never bitten before. Should this dog die?
    A dog that gets into a fight with another dog. Owner intervenes and gets a redirected bite from their dog... The dog has never bitten before and as with all redirected bites, it was not actually aimed at the owner. Should this dog die?

I could go on and on, but the above are circumstances in which many, many bites happen. All understandable, all manageable, none of the dogs a danger to people, yet they should all die? We'll have to agree to differ on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

First port of call imo would be a trip to your vet. Get a full MOT done. Including bloods, dental issues etc.
    Chat about what food your collie is on ( my jrt has to be on low protein food or she's a devil dog)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

DBB wrote:
    @ nuckeythompson. For the record, tlc is not a technique that I'd suggest as a behaviour modification program. Using such a phrase somewhat devalues the work and commitment a good modification program entails.

I accept that. Do you accept any other parts of my post

If the dog attacks livestock its acceptable to shoot it if it can't be contained. But ok with humans?

I accept that. Do you accept any other parts of my post

Yep, sorry, I picked you up wrong in the rest of your post... That's what I get for speed-reading :o

I do agree that anyone posting here with a dog that has bitten should take the advice with great caution... Online diagnosis is dangerous even if everyone posting is qualified up to their oxters.
    You may well have a point that vets don't advise anything other than euthanasia because they're worried about future liability, but my experience has been that many (not all) vets use terrible, outdated information to justify euthanasia, and simply aren't aware that behavioural therapy is available from people properly trained to give it. On that note, a properly qualified and certified behaviourist will have/should have professional indemnity cover, although it is often the case that in cases where the dog bites again following behaviour modification, it's because the owner didn't follow the program properly, rather than the behaviourist having given dodgy advice. Not always, but often.
    One major factor the behaviourist has to consider is the owner's ability, commitment, and environment suitable to even try modifying the behaviour. Sometimes, it's not safe to even try because, for example, there are small kids in the home who stand a chance of being injured if there's a recurrence.

If the dog attacks livestock its acceptable to shoot it if it can't be contained. But ok with humans?

Again, it's all about context. By "attack", I assume you're talking about a more serious, damaging event, rather than, say, some of the scenarios I've listed above... One-off bites or bites that happen in very avoidable situations?
    Though not provided for specifically in law, if a dog is attacking a human to the point that they're causing serious or fatal injuries, I doubt anyone would take issue with the dog being dispatched there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

OP, I would make sure my insurance was up to date and covered attacks by dog. If a child interacts with your dad, and gets bitten on the face, are you covered for the compensation case that will follow?
    Especially as you have admitted on a public forum how it has bitten four other people.

bilbot79 wrote: »
    That dog needs to be taught who's boss. Talk of putting him down is ridiculous, he needs a smack on the nose to understand that humans are very very important.
    As a family you need to talk about it and your dad is very culpable here too. I bet he secretly enjoys the dogs protectiveness but he'll really have to cop on and discipline him.

Yes, that's exactly what should happen. Blaming the father is a nice touch too.
    Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭pinkbear

To be honest, I am shocked that you are considering keeping a dog that has acted like this. I don't think that's responsible at all. And I am more shocked at how many people think that it's worth trying to get to the root of the problem. I really think you need to get him put down as soon as possible.

pinkbear wrote: »
    To be honest, I am shocked that you are considering keeping a dog that has acted like this. I don't think that's responsible at all. And I am more shocked at how many people think that it's worth trying to get to the root of the problem. I really think you need to get him put down as soon as possible.

He's an animal, not a toy.
    For all we know he could be in pain with something undiagnosed that triggered it?

bluewolf wrote: »
    He's an animal, not a toy.
    For all we know he could be in pain with something undiagnosed that triggered it?

I'm quite aware he's not "a toy", as toys tend not to attack people, and toy companies would be sued if they did.

I'm sure he has a nice heart, and there might be an underlying reason that might be sorted, but I would not take the chance of keeping him for one more day if he's that volatile.

If I was bitten by a dog with a history, I would certainly sue. That dog could maim someone for life. I think it is highly irresponsible to keep it.

Nekarsulm wrote:
    OP, I would make sure my insurance was up to date and covered attacks by dog. If a child interacts with your dad, and gets bitten on the face, are you covered for the compensation case that will follow? Especially as you have admitted on a public forum how it has bitten four other people.

Where on earth would you get such cover?

• Advertisement

pinkbear wrote:

Would an alternative environment be a better option at this stage. Some lad in the country with no kids who might be more experienced with dogs ?

Would an alternative environment be a better option at this stage. Some lad in the country with no kids who might be more experienced with dogs ?

Sure, there might be a 99% chance that the dog could be saved. But if there's a 1% chance (or any chance) that he attacks again, then he should be put down. He has bit 3 people, some of them worse, with increasing severity. I would get him put down immediately.

I know I don't know this dog, or love him, or understand him. But objectively, I think it is the only responsible option. At the end of the day, you have to rate people more highly than animals (regardless of how much you love the animal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

It's always the easiest way out isn't it, just have it destroyed before trying to help the animal. Lazy action that would be in my opinion.

Well OP I hope you give it a try with a professional and also get all your folks involved to help with the problem because I know I would do my best to remedy the issue, because no matter the outcome, I would feel better in the knowledge and conscience that I done my best and at least tried.

Best of luck.

The last thing a lad in the country needs is another collie dog who is untrained and inclined to bite people. It's natural instinct to round up sheep/cattle etc is currently suppressed by being house bound, let it out into farmland and you'll asking for a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭bilbot79

DBB wrote: »
    Yes, that's exactly what should happen. Blaming the father is a nice touch too.
    Sigh.

Why? What's wrong?

• Advertisement

It's always the easiest way out isn't it, just have it destroyed before trying to help the animal. Lazy action that would be in my opinion.

Well OP I hope you give it a try with a professional and also get all your folks involved to help with the problem because I know I would do my best to remedy the issue, because no matter the outcome, I would feel better in the knowledge and conscience that I done my best and at least tried.

Best of luck.

"easiest way out". No! It's the safest way out. It's the way of ensuring someone doesn't have a really nasty or dangerous experience with this dog, that someone doesn't end up in hospital getting multiple stitches. I am not advising this as a "lazy action" as you suggest.... why would I care whether some stranger takes a lazy option or puts in the effort into something? I just don't like to think there is a potentially dangerous animal out there.

Nekarsulm wrote:
    The last thing a lad in the country needs is another collie dog who is untrained and inclined to bite people. It's natural instinct to round up sheep/cattle etc is currently suppressed by being house bound, let it out into farmland and you'll asking for a disaster.

I know plenty of wicked yolks down home that are contained in large gardens, but no children. My aunt had a 3 legged one that was as wicked as my aunt. The difference is the owners were aware of the dangers and it was contained when 4 legged too. Mind you I was more scared of the 2 legged one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Why would they need to live in the country? Do you think country people live on their own on remote mountaintops and never have any visitors or something?

Why would anyone suggest moving a troubled animal to the countryside?
    This is the reality.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93004305

bilbot79 wrote: »
    Why? What's wrong?

To be perfectly honest, it'd be more correct to ask what's right!
    The pains one goes to to explain why qualified behaviourists do not "need to show the dog who's boss", and how harmful, risky, and ineffective it is to use physical punishment when dealing with aggression, backing it all up with articles written by qualified experts who themselves base their articles on what the scientific literature has taught us, only for you to weigh in with comments such as "you have to show the dog who's boss", and "slap him on the nose"... I just wonder did you read the thread at all.
    Blaming the owner is not conducive to them accepting your advice. Which in this case probably isn't such a bad thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Best of luck.

You bring up and excellent point, will my folks help me on this?

Countless times I have told my father to stop bringing him to bed with him and start what I would call putting some manners on him or what I really should be saying is some distance between them.

But everything is back to normal in the house.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Why would anyone suggest moving a troubled animal to the countryside?
    This is the reality.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=93004305

Just for the record, there is no relationship whatsoever between a dog that protects his resources, and a dog that chases livestock. I'm sure there are some dogs that do both, but one does not beget the other.

The problem with rehoming a dog that bites is the prior knowledge that the dog is a risk in certain situations... If the dog bites again in a new home, the old owner (or rescue) may be liable because they had prior knowledge, even if they disclose it.
    I'm not sure how binding a written agreement would be if the new owner agrees to accept all responsibility for a dog known to have bitten, I'm not sure it has ever been tested. Maybe someone with legal expertise can fill us in?

TallGlass wrote: »
    You bring up and excellent point, will my folks help me on this?

Countless times I have told my father to stop bringing him to bed with him and start what I would call putting some manners on him or what I really should be saying is some distance between them.

But everything is back to normal in the house.

Re-read your own words from last night:
    "Personally I hate to say, but I think he has to go albeit I don't want him put down, he is getting worse with him and my was close to been pulled off, so I fear next time someone will get seriously hurt, I was fairly lucky I can him when aggressive up to a point, maybe next time he will get the better and I won't be so lucky. He was still going for me when I brought him out the back."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

OP, it's a horrible position to be in, and there's so much conflicting advice here. Far too much talk of pack hierarchy and showing the dog who's boss.

What you need to do is put yourself in the dogs position. He's resource guarding your father, then you do this:
    Tonight I was holding him and removing him from the room
    You're basically forcing him away from the person he values most, and is probably stressed and anxious because he knows he's being taken out forcefully - ie you're holding him. He's afraid, so he bites, because it's what he knows to do when he's afraid.

Some time later this happens:
    Tonight for the first time he did, he went out the back and told him off, previous to this I told him that he needs to give out to him to which he usual ignores.
    Giving out to the dog is having no effect. In fact it's most likely cementing his fear. He actually doesn't know that he's done something wrong, he's reacted the way he has reacted in the past and it works so he'll keep doing it.
    I brought him into the house and trained him up.
    Be honest. Throughout all his training was he given out to and punished at all? ie housebreaking - was his nose shoved in wee, if he dug, chewed, robbed food, was he smacked/shouted at? Is he "given out to" regularly? If the answer is yes to any of the above, the problem is that he sees the people that are giving out to him as volatile and unpredictable and because he's a dog he doesn't know right from wrong. But.. he knows that sometimes the people that he should trust the most are frightening and maybe a bit aggressive with him so he reacts if he thinks something might be happening, or somebody want's to touch your Dad. You say your Dad doesn't give out to the dog. Perhaps that's why he's guarding him, he sees him as the person that he can trust the most.

I would take all of DBBs advice on board, I'd go to the vet and get a health check and I would also contact Emmaline and get a consultation booked ASAP. She'll come to your house, observe the dog in his own environment and see where the root of the problem lies. It is entirely possible that the dog can be rehabilitated but it would mean everybody in the house is on board with behaviour modification. It's not just about changing the dogs behaviour but you as his family will have to work on your behaviour with the dog as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I stopped reading after you mentioned how many times the dog had bitten people on the face. Put the dog down and never ever get another sheep dog and keep them locked up, they are working dogs and need a huge amount of exercise and mental stimulation

• Advertisement

Why would they need to live in the country? Do you think country people live on their own on remote mountaintops and never have any visitors or something?

Could have used a better example, my point I was trying to get across was a different environment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Hang on a second DBB, I value your opinion, and I would never say you are wrong. However I have grown up around dogs, and I am a dog owner.,In my own opinion, It is not acceptable to own a dog that is a threat to people. A dog that has attacked multiple times needs to be put to sleep in my opinion. I think it is beyond foolish to allow this dog to interact with people/family and hope all improves.

I love this lol

I grew up with televisions in the house and I own a few know. Anyone need any advice on fixing a TV??? I'm an expert after all.

OP get the advice of someone qualified and take it from there. Don't listen to all this "think of the children" crap.
    You know the dog better than anyone here, be honest with a professional and listen to them.

Just for the record, there is no relationship whatsoever between a dog that protects his resources, and a dog that chases livestock. I'm sure there are some dogs that do both, but one does not beget the other.?

I accept this, but why would anyone take the chance?

This is an example of a breed of dog being kept in an environment the polar opposite to that which the breed was developed for.
    At four years of age it's hard to see much chance of change in the dogs behaviour, especially if it's environment remains unchanged.
    The OP must have a very understanding girlfriend, or not much regard for her. If my dog bit me twice and my girlfriend once, I'm 100% certain the animal would be underground.

I accept this, but why would anyone take the chance?

Sooo.. You don't accept my point then?!
    I'm not arguing for this particular dog, as I don't know enough about him, but in general, if a problem dog needs to be rehomed, and the problem is not related to predatory behaviour/livestock chasing, then why would it be any different to rehoming any dog to a rural home?
    This is an example of a breed of dog being kept in an environment the polar opposite to that which the breed was developed for.
    At four years of age it's hard to see much chance of change in the dogs behaviour, especially if it's environment remains unchanged.

From what the op has said, I see no evidence that the breed of the dog bears much relation to his problem.
    It is fair enough to say that the longer a dog has been rehearsing a problem behaviour, the more difficult it is to deal with. However, it's far from impossible. It goes without saying that elements of his environment must change.
    The OP must have a very understanding girlfriend, or not much regard for her. If my dog bit me twice and my girlfriend once, I'm 100% certain the animal would be underground.

That's fair enough, that's how you'd deal with it. But other owners, as has been evidenced in this thread, don't want to take the final step without at least investigating what's going on... At least they might then understand how not to make mistakes with future dogs.
    I do think it's interesting that the bites all appear to be facial... This always begs the question... Why was the human's face so close to the dog's teeth in the first place? Op, can you elaborate more about this? I know you've said he's up on chairs/furniture when it happens... Does this mean it happens when someone sits next to him? Or are people hugging him? Or does the dog move towards people in what would appear to be a deliberate targeting of the facial area? The contexts and situations in which aggression happens are important to tease out before deciding on how to go about treating the problem, if indeed it's going to be treated at all.

Like yourself, I don't know this dog either, but lets be realistic, this isn't a dog I'd be happy seeing rehomed anywhere, rural or urban.
    The pounds are bursting with dogs who have never bitten anyone on the face, and which deserve a chance at being a loved pet/companion. I have got two dogs from the pound over the years, the last a red setter who was with us ten years. They were both great dogs. However I have also been in the situation where I got a phonecall from a neighbour where my dog was attacking lambs, and had them backed into a corner with the ewe in front of them defending them bravely .
    My dog, a labrador about a year old, was so intent on getting the lambs that he was oblivious to me. I shot him on the spot.
    How could I send him to the pound for re homing?
    The warden will not rehome any dog that bites people or chases sheep. They are always destroyed. Unless I lied to the Warden about the dog. But then the dog would likely repeat the crime, and the Warden would know I lied to him. And would you like to know you were responsible for a sheep kill or worse , a child scarred for life?

That's fair enough, that's how you'd deal with it. But other owners, as has been evidenced in this thread, don't want to take the final step without at least investigating what's going on... At least they might then understand how not to make mistakes with future dogs.
    I do think it's interesting that the bites all appear to be facial... This always begs the question... Why was the human's face so close to the dog's teeth in the first place? Op, can you elaborate more about this? I know you've said he's up on chairs/furniture when it happens... Does this mean it happens when someone sits next to him? Or are people hugging him? Or does the dog move towards people in what would appear to be a deliberate targeting of the facial area? The contexts and situations in which aggression happens are important to tease out before deciding on how to go about treating the problem, if indeed it's going to be treated at all.

I mentioned previously I was holding him in my arms and while removing him from the room he seen hugging and then bit me to free himself from my grip (what I would think). Previously when he attacked it was if I put my hand out to move him from somewhere I had asked him to move from, it's hard to explain in a way. He has never followed someone while attacking them, its more reactive attacking than proactive attacking if its a better way to describe it.

I mentioned previously I was holding him in my arms and while removing him from the room he seen hugging and then bit me to free himself from my grip (what I would think). Previously when he attacked it was if I put my hand out to move him from somewhere I had asked him to move from, it's hard to explain in a way. He has never followed someone while attacking them, its more reactive attacking than proactive attacking if its a better way to describe it.

Ah, so you've been bitten on the hand? I thought they were facial bites.
    The bite last night was almost certainly as a result of frustration and trying to free himself in what he can only perceive as a confrontational situation. But the bites as you reach out to get a hold of him are a very common scenario where a lot of owners get bitten... He has learned that your hand coming towards him can be bad news, as it means he's about to be grabbed? Uncomfortably, possibly? And removed from the room, which he doesn't want happening. This is not a criticism of you op, just an observation and explanation of how the dog might be viewing things. In any case, I think your initial read of why the dog becomes aggressive might now have changed somewhat now that you're armed with more info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

So when you removed him from the room you picked him up and carried him with his face close to yours? Even though you are aware he's bitten people before?

Like yourself, I don't know this dog either, but lets be realistic, this isn't a dog I'd be happy seeing rehomed anywhere, rural or urban.
    In my first post, I urged the op not to rehome the dog at this time.
    The pounds are bursting with dogs who have never bitten anyone on the face, and which deserve a chance at being a loved pet/companion.

Tell me about it. I run a rescue and turn dogs away every week when it turns out they have bitten someone in situations that a person could reasonably assume not to get bitten. Like you say, there are perfectly well behaved dogs that "deserve" the space more. There isn't a chance that I'd rehome a dog that has shown any aggression, to a home where there are children.
    How could I send him to the pound for re homing?
    This has been discussed in other threads before... We'll have to agree to disagree to some extent on it, I don't see much problem with rehoming a livestock chaser to an urban home with copped-on owners, but I don't particularly want to pull this thread away from the topic at hand by discussing it any further here.
    And would you like to know you were responsible for a sheep kill or worse , a child scarred for life?

In all fairness, I have posted nothing to suggest I would, nor that I would take any undue risks, the above comment is just hyperbole when directed at me. Pretty much all my posts are aimed at restoring some balance and evidence where other posters have come out with stuff that needs to be challenged or clarified, and I have several times broached the possibility of euthanasia, but only after the whole situation has been critically analysed by someone who knows what they're at, and who has observed the dog, family and environment in real life.

• Advertisement

Ah, so you've been bitten on the hand? I thought they were facial bites.
    Getting back to this now that I've read the op again... Your mam, your girlfriend, and you have all been bitten on the lip in the past? So, what is the lead-up to these facial bites? How does it arise that faces come into range of the dog's teeth?
    I'm also wondering how these incidents were dealt with?
    There's more going on here than the dog simply protecting your dad.

So when you removed him from the room you picked him up and carried him with his face close to yours? Even though you are aware he's bitten people before?

Yes. His face was close but not pressed against mine, he was at chest height, still he could swing and grab my nose. If you came to tell me it was wrong to do this, yes it was wrong but I trusted him at this point, never again will I hold any dog in my arms. Mistake on my part, usually I call him out of the room and he comes.

Too be honest, it's honestly not shut and cut, he is fine then there are triggers, but this was just too big to let it go. I have been nipped by dogs before, this was an more an attack.

I want to help him and work with him, last option is what we all know.

Getting back to this now that I've read the op again... Your mam, your girlfriend, and you have all been bitten on the lip in the past? So, what is the lead-up to these facial bites? How does it arise that faces come into range of the dog's teeth?
    I'm also wondering how these incidents were dealt with?
    There's more going on here than the dog simply protecting your dad.

Well the common thing in all these situations has been my father, apart from the time I tried to get him out of my room, and he became aggressive for what I could say me telling him what to do.

I'm still not clear op... Sorry!
    Your mam and girlfriend were both bitten on the lip.
    In what way were they interacting with your dad whilst their faces were within range of the dog's teeth? You have said the dog was on the furniture when bites happened... So is it that the dog and your dad were on the furniture when your mam or girlfriend sat next to him... Something like that?

apart from the time I tried to get him out of my room, and he became aggressive for what I could say me telling him what to do.

It's unlikely it's because you were telling him what to do, as such. It's more likely that he has learned that the tone you use, or the way you're approaching him, is a precursor or predictor of a confrontation, or a situation that he's not comfortable with. I hope you can see the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

Whatever decision you make, decide and act quickly. As you say a horrible situation, beat of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

I feel sorry for this dog and also your father, it's like you want to put this dog down no matter what and just came to boards. To justify your actions so you can have peace of mind.

Well the common thing in all these situations has been my father, apart from the time I tried to get him out of my room, and he became aggressive for what I could say me telling him what to do.

So he came into your room probably trying to make contact with you and simply saying hello, he becomes aggressive with you for telling him what to do? Dogs don't speak English so it was your actions that he became aggressive for. You aren't telling the full story.

I would love to know how you trained this guy.

Be honest op you hate this dog and he can feel that emotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 808 ✭✭✭Angry bird

If the OP hated the dog then it would have been put down after the first attack, no?

Angry bird wrote: »
    If the OP hated the dog then it would have been put down after the first attack, no?

Do you think the op loves this dog? Op shouldn't have a dog and I hope never brings one into their home again.

Dogs don't just attack. Show a dog love and he gives it back tenfold.

Does the dog get walked at all op?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement