Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Athy Tile and Brick Company

Options
  • 01-01-2016 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

When renovating a fireplace in my house, I found several bricks with the inscription "The Athy Tile and Brick Company". Could anyone tell me when this company closed, I would love to date the bricks, just out of curiosity. I did look on Google, but not much info.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I looked it up on cro.ie

Type Unknown
    Number 6141
    Name ATHY BRICK AND TILE COMPANY, LIMITED TO PRO
    Address ********NO ADDRESS DETAILS*******
    ********NO ADDRESS DETAILS*******
    ********NO ADDRESS DETAILS*******
    ********NO ADDRESS DETAILS*******,
    Registered Not Available
    Status Dissolved-20 years

Effective Date 01/01/0001
    Last AR Date Not Available
    Next AR Date Not Available
    Last Accounts to Date Not Available

http://www.penmorfa.com/bricks/foreign.htm
    http://athyeyeonthepast.blogspot.ie/2000/04/housing-schemes-in-athy-in-1930s.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I'd say if you contact the folks at the Athy heritage centre they might be able to help you. Probably closed till Monday with the holidays.

http://www.athyheritagecentre-museum.ie/
    Enquiries: contact Margaret Walsh at: 059 8633075
    athyheritage@eircom.net

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Many thanks, Moonbeam and ken, I was wondering how long that old fireplace had been there! Perhaps a local museum or heritage centre would like one as an example of local industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Snaffles2014

madmaggie wrote: »
    Many thanks, Moonbeam and ken, I was wondering how long that old fireplace had been there! Perhaps a local museum or heritage centre would like one as an example of local industry.

I think for posterity that is a great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's demolition going on in my workplace at the moment and I noticed 'Athy Brick and Tile Co.' on the inside of the fallen bricks. The building in question would date from around 1895-1905.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Wow, that is interesting, wishbone:) I have found out that the fireplace in my house was put in during the early 1920's, but the house is way older than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It's mentioned twice in this article.
    From the relative comfort created by the economic whirlwind dubbed by some linguistic genius as the Celtic Tiger it is reassuring to look back at the time not so long ago when the people of Athy lived in the shadow of unemployment. In the early years of the new Irish State local industry in South Kildare consisted of Minch Norton’s barley intake plants in William Street and Stanhope Street, Hannons Mills, which were soon thereafter to close, and the oldest local industry, brick making. The latter was however going through a tough period. Several of the smaller brick yards around the area, of which there had been upwards of twelve or so, had closed leaving only the Athy Tile and Brick Company at Barrowford and Hosies brick yard in Coursetown. John Conlan a Farmers Party TD for Kildare said in the Dail in January 1924 “in the Athy District of my constituency several brick yards were in operation up to a comparatively short time ago and indeed I believe one of them is still in operation. These works turn out the very best class of brick. In fact some of the old squares in Dublin were built of Athy brick and that will go to show their durability”. Mr Conlan was pressing to have provision made in a Bill going through the Dail for contractors to be compelled to use Irish material and so give local industry a chance of reviving.
    Even as the drainage scheme was finishing the local brick industry was also coming to an end. The last brickyard was the Athy Tile and Brick Company in Barrowford which despite the best efforts of its director Peter P. Doyle could no longer compete with the on site manufacture of concrete blocks. The last local authority houses to be built in Athy using Athy brick were the twenty-five houses at Geraldine Road.

Advertisement