Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drowes fishing

Options
  • 01-01-2016 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭

Any ideas as to how it.fishes? Im planning in hitting it a bit.this year (considering.id get 4days on the river for the same price I got on baliosdare last year) but never fished it.before

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

thehamo wrote: »
    Any ideas as to how it.fishes? Im planning in hitting it a bit.this year (considering.id get 4days on the river for the same price I got on baliosdare last year) but never fished it.before

I've fished ballisodare and Drowes, I wouldn't go to the Drowes any time soon as the run of springers isn't any good till it hits April or so, especially all the rain the salmon will just run up it, I've fished ballisodare I think it's a great river, especially the falls, I fished the Drowes last year but the river was fairly low and I saw a few grilse, if I were you I'd wait till the grilse come in, and fish the sea pools, It's a lovely fly water, a popular fly is the green but cascade, also it'll be packed for the first few weeks, also talk to the fishery manger(I forget his name) but he's a sound lad, he'll tell you the best stretches to go, just a question would you be fly fishing?
    All the best..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I've fished ballisodare and Drowes, I wouldn't go to the Drowes any time soon as the run of springers isn't any good till it hits April or so, especially all the rain the salmon will just run up it, I've fished ballisodare I think it's a great river, especially the falls, I fished the Drowes last year but the river was fairly low and I saw a few grilse, if I were you I'd wait till the grilse come in, and fish the sea pools, It's a lovely fly water, a popular fly is the green but cascade, also it'll be packed for the first few weeks, also talk to the fishery manger(I forget his name) but he's a sound lad, he'll tell you the best stretches to go, just a question would you be fly fishing?
    All the best..

I would be primarily on the fly yes. I thought Balisodare was a superb river but at 100 quid a pop I think id rather my chances else where this year!

thehamo wrote: »
    I would be primarily on the fly yes. I thought Balisodare was a superb river but at 100 quid a pop I think id rather my chances else where this year!

Good, it's a great river like any river if you know where to go, and when to hit it at the right time, just keep looking on the ifi website, also around .45 or .50 on waterlevel.ie is perfect for the fly, June is a good year for the Drowes..
    When do you plan on going?

Good, it's a great river like any river if you know where to go, and when to hit it at the right time, just keep looking on the ifi website, also around .45 or .50 on waterlevel.ie is perfect for the fly, June is a good year for the Drowes..
    When do you plan on going?

Plan on hitting a few days though the earliest I was thinking was mid feb. Ive a good few days off at the end of March so thinking of getting a couple of days in then

I'd wait and see if the season will be good or not it took them in mid February last year to get their first, it started out slow for the Drowes and the got better try and hit it on good conditions if you went in June and meant around late March atlesst your kind of get to know the Drowes a bit better, Lenoxs bridge is a another good spot, also he has holiday homes up there the minimum to book is two days and there right beside the river too, if the river is a wee bit high when you go throw on some sink tips(if it's fairly high) and cascade tube flys...

Good luck

• Advertisement

I'd wait and see if the season will be good or not it took them in mid February last year to get their first, it started out slow for the Drowes and the got better try and hit it on good conditions if you went in June and meant around late March atlesst your kind of get to know the Drowes a bit better, Lenoxs bridge is a another good spot, also he has holiday homes up there the minimum to book is two days and there right beside the river too, if the river is a wee bit high when you go throw on some sink tips(if it's fairly high) and cascade tube flys...

Good luck

Thanks a mil for the advice, much appreciated

Advertisement