Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? 2016 Edition

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

PS3:
    Bioshock 2 and Minerva's Den

Is Bioshock 2 worth getting? Played Bioshock and Infinite and enjoyed both but heard 2 was not very good.

I had read the reviews before getting stuck into it and even with the high scores, there seemed to be a lot of disappointment from the reviewers with the game but I really enjoyed it. The minor gripes I'd have is that while you're meant to be a Big Daddy in it, it never really feels like you are and there was potential to do something different with the underwater parts that was never exploited. Apart from that, I really enjoyed it. The story definitely wasn't as strong or as interesting as the first but I thought the game play was stronger in the second. I didn't think that Minerva's Den was as good as the reviews suggested but the story was interesting in it if a little predictable. All in all though, it was worth the play through. I'd get it if I were you and if you're buying it on the PS3, I'd suggest waiting until you see the complete edition on sale because I don't think you can buy Minerva's Den seperately anymore.

• I had read the reviews before getting stuck into it and even with the high scores, there seemed to be a lot of disappointment from the reviewers with the game but I really enjoyed it. The minor gripes I'd have is that while you're meant to be a Big Daddy in it, it never really feels like you are and there was potential to do something different with the underwater parts that was never exploited. Apart from that, I really enjoyed it. The story definitely wasn't as strong or as interesting as the first but I thought the game play was stronger in the second. I didn't think that Minerva's Den was as good as the reviews suggested but the story was interesting in it if a little predictable. All in all though, it was worth the play through. I'd get it if I were you and if you're buying it on the PS3, I'd suggest waiting until you see the complete edition on sale because I don't think you can buy Minerva's Den seperately anymore.

Bioshock: Ultimate Rapture Edition is a Steal
    Has everything thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

PS4
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Trials Fusion
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune [NDC]
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Firewatch

Adding: Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Finished the main story after a play-time of 4 days and 11 hours (107 hours!!) and at Level 61. I think I still have loads to do. As a mini-celebration I bought the Season Pass (before they bump the price up to 40 euro in March). Can't wait for the DLC. I won't bother spoiling anything, but I will say the game ends rather suddenly - you're left thinking, ".........oh, that was the end? Oh right...grand so......"

I d'know, I shouldn't have expected any better when I take previous Bethesda Fallout games into consideration. Overall the story was... fine. But I'm happy you can continue the game after you finish. I feel with the new content on the way (as well as the mods for consoles), Fallout 4 has only started.

So I have plenty to look forward to, and I won't be shelving this as abruptly as I do most of my games that I finish (if and whenever I do).

Brilliant game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 190 ✭✭spookmaster

Dying Light (PS4) - I really loved this game, it's full of memorable moments and playing it Co-op with my brother made it even more enjoyable. I'm excited about returning to it to play the remaining side quests.

Until Dawn (PS4) - terrific and genuinely scary in places, the choice based mechanics work brilliantly, it's one of the most engrossing games I've played in a while. Sony would give Telltale a run for their money if they continue releasing 'butterfly effect' games as good as this one. Absolutely brilliant game.[/quote]

Adding:

Life is Strange (Steam) - one of the most thought-provoking and unforgettable games I've ever played, the game deals with issues such as mental health, abandonment, friendship, disabilities, regret, the passage of time, it's incredibly deep but not in a pretentious way. Play it. NOW.

Dying Light (PS4) - I really loved this game, it's full of memorable moments and playing it Co-op with my brother made it even more enjoyable. I'm excited about returning to it to play the remaining side quests.

Until Dawn (PS4) - terrific and genuinely scary in places, the choice based mechanics work brilliantly, it's one of the most engrossing games I've played in a while. Sony would give Telltale a run for their money if they continue releasing 'butterfly effect' games as good as this one. Absolutely brilliant game.

Life is Strange (Steam) - one of the most thought-provoking and unforgettable games I've ever played, the game deals with issues such as mental health, abandonment, friendship, disabilities, regret, the passage of time, it's incredibly deep but not in a pretentious way. Play it. NOW.

Adding:

Metal Slug (Steam) - Fun, action-packed side-scrolling run and gun game, short but sweet, a real button bashing treat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Child of Light
    The Silent Age
    Scribblenauts Unlimited
    Undertale
    Enslaved:Odyssey to the West
    Dream

Finally finished MGSV: Phantom Pain. I really loved this game and had a lot of fun playing it though the fact its basically unfinished in Chapter 2 is a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Assassin's Creed Syndicate [PS4] - Despite what people say the AC franchise continues to be one of the very best series of games available. Unity last year was a misstep but Syndicate is easily on a with AC Rogue and better than AC IV. Anyone on the fence should try it out.

Fallout 4 [PS4] - It certainly didn't have the same impact on my like FO3 had but having said that I still enjoyed it. I think I put 50+ hours into it and still have plenty left to do. I will probably return to it later this year.

LEGO Batman 3 [PS4] - It has taken a while but I just finished this today. It is the first game I've played co-op with my son and while it was frustrating at times we got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ryse
    Valiant hearts
    Rise of the tomb raider loved the first one but for some reason wasn't warming to this, ended up finishing with 86% completion which I feel speaks well of how little trouble it is to try and do all the side activities. Combat felt a lot less intense than the first game. And it sets up the franchise to continue the narrative which is always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

so far this year

Street fighter x Tekken (Xbox 360) not great, feels more like SF than Tekken.
    F.E.A.R. Extraction point (Xbox 360) Good game, though you kind of do know what to expect by now.
    F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (Xbox 360) More action packed and less scary than previous games, it's a nice change of pace.
    Shadowrun Returns (PC) great game. nice writing and very imaginative. The combat does get a bit tedious towards the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

+1 for Bioshock 2 and the DLC. Great game overall. Pretty much more of the same form the 1st one, don't see why it's always judged so harshly. I definately liked it more than Infinite

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Dying Light now to start the following.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,607 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

New Super Luigi U

I haven't been game mad so far this year compared to last year when I completed nearly all my games.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SparklesBlood

Just completed phantom hour glass, next up link between worlds, just in a zelda mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,757 ✭✭✭✭Encrypted Pigeon

Played Oxenfree over the weekend, was looking for a good story based game to help fill the void left after playing Life is Strange. Its a short game, took me about seven hours but I took my time to explore. Being a short game didn't bother me, I'm more of a quality over quantity person, and this had plenty of it. The art and visuals used are fantastic as well as the choice based dialog between characters. The only (minor) issue i had with game is travelling/walking can be bit slow, especially if you are trying to get from one side of the map to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - brilliant game. I hope when it comes to PS4 it also comes with an announcement of a sequel. Balls in your court now Uncharted 4 to top this.
    Saint Row 4 Re-Elected (Xbox One) - It was silly, repetitive at times but overall fun.
    Ether One (PS4) - An interesting game about dementia. Very happy it exists but it got tedious near the end.

Adding:

Saints Row: Gat Outta Hell (Xbox One) - Short so doesn't out stay its welcome. Some elements of it I really enjoyed. Found it better than the main game, possibly because of its length.

Dragon Age: Inquisition (Xbox One) - Didn't like it. Very lore heavy, the companions weren't very interesting and the quest became extremely repetitive. The game has a lot of padding.

rizzla wrote: »
    Dragon Age: Inquisition (Xbox One) - Didn't like it. Very lore heavy, the companions weren't very interesting and the quest became extremely repetitive. The game has a lot of padding.

The very reason why I always struggle to play more than 2 quests before I turn the game off for another few months. Way too deep for me to follow and I don't have the time anymore to be going off playing the previous two. One day, though, one day..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Rise of the Tomb Raider - completed it with 91% completion.

Might look into the Survival DLC later, but for now I'm going through the rest of my library.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

PS4
    Grand Theft Auto III
    Trials Fusion
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune [NDC]
    Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    Firewatch

Adding: Fallout 4 (Xbox One)

Finished the main story after a play-time of 4 days and 11 hours (107 hours!!) and at Level 61. I think I still have loads to do. As a mini-celebration I bought the Season Pass (before they bump the price up to 40 euro in March). Can't wait for the DLC. I won't bother spoiling anything, but I will say the game ends rather suddenly - you're left thinking, ".........oh, that was the end? Oh right...grand so......"

I d'know, I shouldn't have expected any better when I take previous Bethesda Fallout games into consideration. Overall the story was... fine. But I'm happy you can continue the game after you finish. I feel with the new content on the way (as well as the mods for consoles), Fallout 4 has only started.

So I have plenty to look forward to, and I won't be shelving this as abruptly as I do most of my games that I finish (if and whenever I do).

Brilliant game.

How are the ports of the Grand theft auto games. Thinking of getting San Andreas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

How are the ports of the Grand theft auto games. Thinking of getting San Andreas

I don't know about the console version, but the Steam version of S.A. got a lot of flak for changing the soundtrack on the radio. something about the music license expiring but there were arguments that that would only matter if using the music in new games, not re-releasing previously existing ones. I imaging the console version is the same. it's only a minor thing though really.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,936 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I don't know about the console version, but the Steam version of S.A. got a lot of flak for changing the soundtrack on the radio. something about the music license expiring but there were arguments that that would only matter if using the music in new games, not re-releasing previously existing ones. I imaging the console version is the same. it's only a minor thing though really.

Music I can survive

• Advertisement

They're pretty identical to what they are on PS2. I haven't noticed any degradations while playing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I should start by saying that I'm the type of player who owns a ridiculous amount of games and finishes few. I'm trying to change that.

Fallout 4 was the first game I completed this year, after pouring a serious amount of time in it. As a Fallout fan, I do think it was a great game. For me Fallout has always had a gripping and intriguing story. There's usually quite a few characters who stand out, through their interesting story or their quirky nature. I've played their games to death, always eager to explore new locations and to see what they have on offer.
    This is where my biggest issue with F4 was; after pouring days into the game, I've come away with few memorable moments. The story was weak and predictable. I had very little attachment to any companions, to the extent that I didn't feel like my decisions had any serious consequences. Yes, I enjoyed playing it. But I think my love of the series is the only reason I stuck it out so long.

After Fallout 4 (and getting a new broadband provider), I went back to Destiny on PS4. I played up to the Taken King before Christmas, so I went back to complete the add on content. My only gripe with Destiny was that it was far too easy. Boss fights were the only spots I'd found difficulty with.
    Thankfully The Taken King content is a bit more challenging. I raced to the level cap pretty easily and I'm now playing through the end-game content. The game has a great mix of team-based play and some great PvP through the Crucible. I think it's an excellent game thanks to the developers constantly refining the mechanics and also because of the great community.

Lastly, I've registered around 30 hours with Dragon Age Inquisition which I'm also loving. It's a mammoth of a game and I'm yet to even catch a glimpse of the end.

So far so good for 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just finished Game Of Thrones season 1 and it got dissed a bit but I really liked it, nice little story :D

Finished Wolfenstein the Old Blood today, 1000gs. Challenges were more fun than the main game though the whole thing was pure poo vs the new order budget price or not,
    zombie nazis and a giant mummy boss
    ruined it for me when you think of the quality that was New Order :(

Until Dawn (PS4) - terrific and genuinely scary in places, the choice based mechanics work brilliantly, it's one of the most engrossing games I've played in a while. Sony would give Telltale a run for their money if they continue releasing 'butterfly effect' games as good as this one. Absolutely brilliant game.

Metal Slug (Steam) - Fun, action-packed side-scrolling run and gun game, short but sweet, a real button bashing treat.

Adding:

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (Steam) - the classic 1996 point and click adventure game gets two hours of extra content and new animation in this director's cut. Fantastic game, immersive storyline and loveable characters make this a great piece of gaming history.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

[Xbox One]

Thief:

Good game, lots to do and can replay and free roam around the city once completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Rise of the Tomb Raider (Xbox One) - brilliant game. I hope when it comes to PS4 it also comes with an announcement of a sequel. Balls in your court now Uncharted 4 to top this.
    Saint Row 4 Re-Elected (Xbox One) - It was silly, repetitive at times but overall fun.
    Ether One (PS4) - An interesting game about dementia. Very happy it exists but it got tedious near the end.
    Saints Row: Gat Outta Hell (Xbox One) - Short so doesn't out stay its welcome. Some elements of it I really enjoyed. Found it better than the main game, possibly because of its length.

Adding:

Alien Isolation (Xbox One) - I hated it to begin with. As it progressed though I got more interested in the story and mechanics but then it felt like the developers were afraid to release a short game so came up with more and more contrived reasons as to why you had to stay in space longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Assassin's Creed Syndicate [PS4]
    Fallout 4 [PS4]
    LEGO Batman 3 [PS4]

-- Adding --

Ori and the Blind Forest [Steam] - I really enjoyed this game. Its looks stunning and is very well designed. I also liked how Ori controlled as I didn't expect it to be so precise with the artstyle it has. It was tough too but always felt fair.

My only complaint is that I felt it was a little overlong.

Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut (Steam) - the classic 1996 point and click adventure game gets two hours of extra content and new animation in this director's cut. Fantastic game, immersive storyline and loveable characters make this a great piece of gaming history.

Adding:

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC) - Classic LucasArts point and click adventure game, great story, terrific humour and brilliant use of the characters from the franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Going to try and get a few games cleared this year, I'm using the My Game Collection app to help keep focused.

So far:

Batman: Arhkam Knight (PS4) - really liked this, have done absolutely everything apart from getting all the riddle trophies which I thought would be too repetitive, only have about 40 trophies. Would definitely recommend and unlike some people I didn't mind the car bits at all, thought it helped to mix things up a little.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (NDC) (PS4) - found it quite repetitive in parts. Too many killing areas and not enough exploration etc. But this was the first game in the series, playing the sequel now.

Hoping to add Saints Row 4 and maybe Uncharted 2 to this list in the next few weeks if I get the time.

Advertisement