Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charged for modem even though I followed Eir instructions

Options
  • 01-01-2016 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

Hi & Happy New Year to Eir!

I need a little bit of help!

I recently moved house to a different county. I had e-fibre at my old address and arranged an e-fibre installation at my new address. This installation was finalised around October 30th. My old address was then vacant. When I was moving, the Eir representative instructed me to take my old e-fibre modem with me. During the installation at the new address, I asked the engineer if he needed the modem and he said no, that the modem he was installing was a new version (dual-band). I asked if he needed to take the old modem with him and he said no. At no point during this account set up process was I asked to return the modem, in fact, I was asked to bring it to my new address, which I did!

I received an email notification of my final bill on my old account of -3.73 on the 17 Nov. I didn't receive a paper bill to my new address. My MyEir account then showed as closed and I couldn't access pdfs of bills. I received another email relating to  a further bill for the closed account for 56.26 on the 16th Dec. I assumed this was an error as the account was closed.

I returned to my old address yesterday and collected some post. There was a modem delivery returns note from Nightline and the paper versions of the two bills described above. I noted that the 56.26 was for the modem. I called an Eir representative today to enquire as to (1) why I had been charged when I had followed the instructions of the rep to bring the modem to my new address and (2) why a courier was sent to an address I don't live at anymore. The first rep I talked to said that I had to talk to the e-fibre team. Nobody answered when my call was forwarded. I called back at 12:32 and spoke to a male rep. He could not answer my query as to why I had been billed for not returning the modem despite me following Eir's instructions. He stated that I would have had 14 days to query the bill and I should have called sooner. It has only been 8 working days since the 16th of December and I'm not sure how I could have disputed the bill since I couldn't see what I was billed for as I had no access to MyEir. He then added that now I had paid for the modem, it was not possible to return the modem and have the charge returned to me.

I explained that I couldn't (a) access a paper bill and (b) had received the bill when the account was closed and therefore couldn't access it on MyEir and (c) I couldn't possibly return a modem to a courier who arrived at an address I no longer live at. I had no way of knowing that a courier was even arriving there. Had I have known, I could have arranged something.

The representative's response was that I should have set up a forwarding address for the courier, and Eir correspondance to arrive at. I found this response to be unsatisfactory considering that I did set up a new Eir account at a new address where all my new account Eir bills have reached me! Can someone look into this more thoroughly? I would just like a little more clarity on what procedure I should have followed vs what I was asked to do.
    Thanks. 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Musefan wrote: »

I recently moved house to a different county. I had e-fibre at my old address and arranged an e-fibre installation at my new address. This installation was finalised around October 30th. My old address was then vacant. When I was moving, the Eir representative instructed me to take my old e-fibre modem with me. During the installation at the new address, I asked the engineer if he needed the modem and he said no, that the modem he was installing was a new version (dual-band). I asked if he needed to take the old modem with him and he said no. At no point during this account set up process was I asked to return the modem, in fact, I was asked to bring it to my new address, which I did!

I received an email notification of my final bill on my old account of -3.73 on the 17 Nov. I didn't receive a paper bill to my new address. My MyEir account then showed as closed and I couldn't access pdfs of bills. I received another email relating to  a further bill for the closed account for 56.26 on the 16th Dec. I assumed this was an error as the account was closed.

I returned to my old address yesterday and collected some post. There was a modem delivery returns note from Nightline and the paper versions of the two bills described above. I noted that the 56.26 was for the modem. I called an Eir representative today to enquire as to (1) why I had been charged when I had followed the instructions of the rep to bring the modem to my new address and (2) why a courier was sent to an address I don't live at anymore. The first rep I talked to said that I had to talk to the e-fibre team. Nobody answered when my call was forwarded. I called back at 12:32 and spoke to a male rep. He could not answer my query as to why I had been billed for not returning the modem despite me following Eir's instructions. He stated that I would have had 14 days to query the bill and I should have called sooner. It has only been 8 working days since the 16th of December and I'm not sure how I could have disputed the bill since I couldn't see what I was billed for as I had no access to MyEir. He then added that now I had paid for the modem, it was not possible to return the modem and have the charge returned to me.

I explained that I couldn't (a) access a paper bill and (b) had received the bill when the account was closed and therefore couldn't access it on MyEir and (c) I couldn't possibly return a modem to a courier who arrived at an address I no longer live at. I had no way of knowing that a courier was even arriving there. Had I have known, I could have arranged something.

The representative's response was that I should have set up a forwarding address for the courier, and Eir correspondance to arrive at. I found this response to be unsatisfactory considering that I did set up a new Eir account at a new address where all my new account Eir bills have reached me! Can someone look into this more thoroughly? I would just like a little more clarity on what procedure I should have followed vs what I was asked to do.
    Thanks. 
    Hi Musefan

What you have described above shows that you made every attempt for this charge not to occur and I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused by all this.

Please feel free to PM me your the eir account number associated with this charge and I will look in to this further for you

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

eir: Alan wrote: »

Thanks. 
    Hi Musefan

What you have described above shows that you made every attempt for this charge not to occur and I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused by all this.

Please feel free to PM me your the eir account number associated with this charge and I will look in to this further for you

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan!

I've done that now!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

eir: Alan wrote: »

Thanks. 
    Hi Musefan

Thanks
    Al
    Thanks Alan!

I've done that now!

:)
    Cheers usefan

I'll get back to you very shortly :)

Al

Advertisement