Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MY STEAM ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HACKED!!! NEED HELP NOW!!!

• 01-01-2016 5:34am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭

Ok just got an email saying that i've asked to gain access to my steam account from another PC.

I never tried to do this!!

I then get another email saying i've changed my password.

My Steam account password has now been changed.

I then got an email from steam in Russian!! They must have acces too my Email also!!!

What do i do???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

Ok just got an email saying that i've asked to gain access to my steam account from another PC.

I then get another email saying i've changed my password.

My Steam account password has now been changed.

I then got an email from steam in Russian!! They must have acces too my Email also!!!

What do i do???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

https://help.steampowered.com/#HelpWithAccountStolen

If you reckon they have access to your email, check your emails recovery address. If that's been changed to something else then you definitely have a problem. If it looks as normal, just change your email password.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 140 ✭✭Rolllo

Go to support.steampowered.com, there are a couple of options to recover your account, you should have your sign-up and payment details handy, as well as any CD keys you might have from games bought offline. It happened to me once ages ago, it was a fairly straight forward process, I think I submitted a CD key as proof of ownership. Just follow the instructions on the support site. Obviously you'll need to change all your log-on details once you get back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Change your email password if you think they have access.

Ok i changed my main email password and i've moved my Paypal accounts to a different email.

How the **** did they gain access??
    How long does it take for steam to get back to you?

• Advertisement

Success!
    I got my account back.

I would love to know how he got access! I don't think my email was breached but to be on the safe side i changed all my info that was attached to that address and activated Steam Guard.

The dude did remove all my friends on Steam so i'll need to spend the next 20Mins adding them.

Thanks lads for the quick reply and have a happy new year! :)

All sorted now.
    Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

What happened?

Was it related to the issues they were having over Christmas?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What happened?

Was it related to the issues they were having over Christmas?
    The issues over Christmas would not give anyone access to change passwords; it would show at most personal information (name, e-mail address) and was related to caching issue (not hacking).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Nody wrote: »
    The issues over Christmas would not give anyone access to change passwords; it would show at most personal information (name, e-mail address) and was related to caching issue (not hacking).

Name, address in itself is enough information to get passwords in some cases. A lot of people reuse passwords, so if they get it for one site, they get it for many sites. That's part of the reason I use LastPass. My Steam password is some massive 60 character string of upper, lowercase and symbols, that I have no chance of remembering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This is why its worth having Steam Guard enabled. It can be a pain in the arse having to authenticate everytime you log into a new device but worth it for that added security.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Set up mobile authentication while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

also, never log into steam on someone else's machine, especially a public one in college or a cafe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

You sure it was an authentic steam response and not a scam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Agreed. Always be cautious of any emails that claim passwords etc have been changed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phishing

They may contain links to bogus websites purely set up to harvest your information.

I didn't change my info straight away since I was wondering the same thing. But the second I tried opening Steam I got logged out and everything was changed.

Is it possible to gain access without getting into your email account? Because I got the email code they send you when you want to sign in from a different computer.

They were very quick.. In the space of 3mins they had got access to my account, changed the password and email associated with Steam and tried to add Steam guard.

Thankfully I had a bunch of old CD codes that I could use as proof along with a few other details.

I've switched emails completely and moved removed my old email from every site I could think of. Still paranoid as **** though...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Is this related to all the trouble that Steam had over the Christmas ? My grandson (12) was downloading the Star wars games and we had terrible trouble with the PC constantly freezing .

I cleaned it up afterwards as best I could but neither of us really knows what we are doing , it is a Dell Inspiron 1545 from around 2010/11 - is that too old for these kind of applications ?

Any help much appreciated

marienbad wrote: »
    Is this related to all the trouble that Steam had over the Christmas ? My grandson (12) was downloading the Star wars games and we had terrible trouble with the PC constantly freezing .

I cleaned it up afterwards as best I could but neither of us really knows what we are doing , it is a Dell Inspiron 1545 from around 2010/11 - is that too old for these kind of applications ?

Any help much appreciated

No i'm 99% sure it was just a balls up on my end. They probably got access to my email and followed from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

2 step verification on both email and steam i would recommend for all if reading this thread.

passwords will never be good on its own. require to enter code from mobile device, while a pain defo adds that layer of security for comfort.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    I didn't change my info straight away since I was wondering the same thing. But the second I tried opening Steam I got logged out and everything was changed.

Is it possible to gain access without getting into your email account? Because I got the email code they send you when you want to sign in from a different computer.

They were very quick.. In the space of 3mins they had got access to my account, changed the password and email associated with Steam and tried to add Steam guard.

Thankfully I had a bunch of old CD codes that I could use as proof along with a few other details.

I've switched emails completely and moved removed my old email from every site I could think of. Still paranoid as **** though...

Sounds Legit alright. Id be the same. Had my steam account since half life 2 in 2004, November if memory serves me right. (hated the forced connection at first) But ive well over 200 games and if I lost my account, if be freaking out as if someone had burned my house down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement