Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shotgun Prices

Options
  • 01-01-2016 7:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Hi I'm just wondering if the more seasoned experts here could tell me what would be the normal'ish price for a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun? Side by side or over and under is fine. Just curious as second hand prices seem to different on every site, is €400 too little a budget for a second hand 12 gauge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Mourinho wrote: »
    Hi I'm just wondering if the more seasoned experts here could tell me what would be the normal'ish price for a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun? Side by side or over and under is fine. Just curious as second hand prices seem to different on every site, is €400 too little a budget for a second hand 12 gauge?

Seriously, its going to be as much as you want to spend and what you want to do with it too.

A Baikal to Perazzi (think Lada to Ferrari in motoring terms) is going to give a normal price for both but at different extremes

Might be worth thinking of what you want the gun for, clays, game, etc. Then setting a budget.

For 400, you should pick up a shotgun in either o/u, s by s or semi. They will all do a job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As said above it's too broad sweeping a question.

A new Baikal can be bought for around €550. A new Beretta DT11 EELL will cost over €6,000. As such second prices on these can vary from €300 to €5,000. If you are looking at a particular gun then stick up the brand and model and i'm sure someone will help you out. If you're not sure then as said above give us an idea of what you're interested in and you'll get no end off opinions and price ranges to help you out.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

One of the lads is selling a semi auto single barrel camo version here

It's definitely within budget.

Good guy to deal with, i'm currently buying a rifle from him, pending license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Mourinho

Thanks lads.

Well I'm on a farm and it will be for everything from vermin to the odd wild dog that might attack a sheep or young calf, so I suppose your classic all rounder farmers shotgun. Second hand would do tbh I'm not going to use it much.

I don't know much about pricing and damage cause I've only had shooting experience with the grandfathers old double barrel years ago and then the uncles firearms.

I simply googling and only saw second hand shotguns under €400 but they were .410 I believe which is weaker than the 12 gauge, which is the more commonly used I believe?

Maybe I was looking at the wrong places.

Also for example what's the usual price to a box or cartridges of 12 gauge?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Mourinho wrote: »
    Thanks lads.

Well I'm on a farm and it will be for everything from vermin to the odd wild dog that might attack a sheep or young calf,
    Lad i understand where you are coming from and without derailing the thread be careful about what you post. There are laws for dogs and what to do if you have a troublesome one. There are no wild dogs in Ireland, there are ones that allowed to run loose.
    so I suppose your classic all rounder farmers shotgun. Second hand would do tbh I'm not going to use it much.
    Seems a decent Baikal, Yildiz or Lanber would suit your needs. In 12g. Second hand you would be looking between €300 - €500 or so.
    I simply googling and only saw second hand shotguns under €400 but they were .410 I believe which is weaker than the 12 gauge, which is the more commonly used I believe?
    They go (largest to smallest)
    • 12 gauge
    • 20 bore
    So a 12 g would probably be your best bet.
    Also for example what's the usual price to a box or cartridges of 12 gauge?
    Depending on type from €5.50 up to €14 per box of 25. On average €9 and that would get you an appropriate cartridge to do most types of shooting.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

It's not a fair reflection to compare a Baikal to a Lada.

Lara's were unreliable. Maybe Baikals are not so elegant, but they will last at least a lifetime of hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭useurowname

yubabill1 wrote: »

Lara's were unreliable. Maybe Baikals are not so elegant, but they will last at least a lifetime of hunting.

Definitely not an accurate comparison, reliability wise I'd put a Baikal o/u well ahead of a fair bit of the stuff coming out of Turkey now or indeed some of the cheaper Italian stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

yubabill1 wrote: »

I don't disagree with you on the durability of the Baikal but I was merely trying to illustrate, in terms that the OP could see, the different ends of the shotgun markets.

Also, the two makes were just off the top of my head and chosen to show opposite ends of the market, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

+1 for Baikal's. I would go with an o/u, like the model IZH-27.

However, I would not pass up a good deal on a sxs.

Advertisement