Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M&S Pure Freshly Squeezed Orange Juice with Bits 300ml

Options
  • 01-01-2016 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

They just jacked the price up from €2.00 to €2.80 but you don't find out until checkout. Cheeky and a bit steep too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Price of oranges actually genuinely increases out of season as they need to be shipped from much further afield.

Concentrated OJ is bought and sold as a commodity, it's there all year around at the same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Palbear wrote: »
    you don't find out until checkout
    This could be one for consumer issues so, if there are no prices or incorrect prices displayed which is what you are inferring.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They just jacked the price up from €2.00 to €2.80 but you don't find out until checkout. Cheeky and a bit steep too.

Is there no price displayed? Shelf edge labels are printed in reams on a daily basis for any new price changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Palbear

Is there no price displayed? Shelf edge labels are printed in reams on a daily basis for any new price changes.

Yes. In Liffey Valley the €2.00 price was displayed.
    In Mary Street, no display at all.

Both stores charged €2.80

Perhaps it is a consumer issue. Or maybe M&S are just a bit slow getting round to it. And commodity price rises are understandable.

My point really is that 40% is a bit steep for an overnight price rise.

For what its worth, the shelf or sticker price doesn't carry any weight.
    In law its called an "invitation to treat" or simply the suggested price.

Retailers generally honour it but don't have to.
    Real estate agents hardly ever do as is their right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Larry the Logster

Maybe they added more bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I find the Lidl pure squeezed OJ good quality, and its often on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

For what its worth, the shelf or sticker price doesn't carry any weight.
    It does "carry weight" in the sense they cannot do whatever they want without repercussions. Shops can and have been fined in the past for continual mispricing.

It also gives you a good argument for a refund, I have never once heard of a case where somebody paid for an item and later found it was priced differently than advertised and then the shop refused a refund. The media would have a field day if M&S refused you a refund, but seems you were happy to pay it as you apparently paid that in 2 shops. If it had been 100ml short or made from concentrated juice I would agree its a ripoff, but no scamming took place here.

If it goes up to 3euro next week will you still refer to the 2.80euro price as having being an "overnight price rise"? I always hear this "overnight" description, and wonder why people use it, I presume since it sounds sensationalist, in pubs I have seen prices increase during the daytime.

rubadub wrote: »
    It does "carry weight" in the sense they cannot do whatever they want without repercussions. Shops can and have been fined in the past for continual mispricing.

That is called fraud. It is a criminal offence and different to the civil aspect of the Law of Contract to which I am referring, specifically 'invitation to treat'.

It also gives you a good argument for a refund, I have never once heard of a case where somebody paid for an item and later found it was priced differently than advertised and then the shop refused a refund. The media would have a field day if M&S refused you a refund, but seems you were happy to pay it as you apparently paid that in 2 shops. .

Liffey Valley gave me a refund as I paid for the item then questioned it.
    And one would reasonably expect them to do. But in law, they are not obliged to. The law says that once I paid the money and received a receipt, we legally had a contract. Not before that point.
    I declined to proceed with the transaction in Mary Street so no harm done.

If it had been 100ml short or made from concentrated juice I would agree its a ripoff, but no scamming took place here..

Nowhere did I claim that scamming took place.
    If it goes up to 3euro next week will you still refer to the 2.80euro price as having being an "overnight price rise"? I always hear this "overnight" description, and wonder why people use it, I presume since it sounds sensationalist, in pubs I have seen prices increase during the daytime.

It was an overnight price rise but timing is not so important. I just pointed it out in context. The substantive point is that a 40% increase lead me to conclude that the price of orange juice in M&S was worthy of bringing to the attention of this board.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The bottles in the supermarkets that claim to be 'freshly squeezed' orange juice don't remotely taste like the real thing. Most of them have been doctored with sugar (to reduce the bitterness) and preservative for extended shelf life. Buy a citrus juicer and squeeze your own juice for about 50c a glass.....

CJ3000-Carousel-yd.png

http://www.braunhousehold.com/en-gb/products/breakfast/citrus-juicers

• Advertisement
Advertisement