Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Virgin media Home Phone and SIP service together

Options
  • 01-01-2016 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi,

I am using Goldfish Telecom for a Sip-based service that I'm very happy with. However, there are times when it is cheaper to have calls to specific destinations go out through the Virgin Media Home Phone service, which is packaged with my broadband service, but which I'm not currently using. I have a Cisco SPA112 connected to my broadband router, to manage my SIP telephony processes.

Is there any way I can set up rules for dialing certain numbers out through Virgin, or is this even possible?

Regards and thanks.

Stuart

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Open to correction here but AFAIK only the VM CPE can terminate their SIP lines, so you'd need a VOIP device that supports analogue in and have it connected over ethernet and POTS simultaneously, then set dialing rules yourself.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

ED E wrote: »
    Open to correction here but AFAIK only the VM CPE can terminate their SIP lines, so you'd need a VOIP device that supports analogue in and have it connected over ethernet and POTS simultaneously, then set dialing rules yourself.

That's correct .You'd need a device with an FXO and an FXS port for this to work.

Some Gigaset IP phones have ports for analogue lines, in which case this would Work and you should be able to have carrier least cost selection set up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stuartlawler

Thanks for the info. So I need something with analog ports to connect back to the phone jack on the Virgin Media router? That's what I'm missing at the moment.

Stuart

Advertisement