Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else started shopping for Christmas 2016 yet??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

Dunno how people can tolerate shops in January!

I've my present list done for next xmas, but won't be starting for a while!

I'll probably re-gift some stuff I got in 2015 that I'll never use.
    I can't be buying anymore stuff to clutter my place up until I move!

Plus I made a mistake last year, I bought lots of stuff really early, but some people and I fell out before xmas so I was left with some gifts which I couldn't just give to anyone because they were suited to that person, so some went to charity, others were rearranged to be re-gifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

Loughc wrote: »
    I think you have to return them within 28 days.

that wont really work :( they are for xmas! ah jeez, il send them an email:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

The only place I can think of that offers returns after that long is Schuh. You have 365 days to return unused items to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Tesco clothing have a sale on again, might come in handy for anyone looking to purchase pyjamas slippers, handbags etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Had a bit of extra money because of overtime I did last week,so I went and bought two One4all vouchers in the post office for two of my older nephews.
    That brings it to 9 people ticked off my list.
    Happy days!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭rogercross

Had a bit of extra money because of overtime I did last week,so I went and bought two One4all vouchers in the post office for two of my older nephews.
    Happy days!!

Are you people high? Its only March!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

rogercross wrote: »

High on Christmas Spirit, you bet my friend. Can I point you towards our Forum charter?

Rule Number One!

'The Grinch'

We do not want you in this Forum, as all who post here love Christmas. Anti Christmas threads, posts and comments like "Bah, Humbug" or "OMG, It's October" may be deleted and can earn you a warning.

Just bare that in mind when posting here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Happy days!!

You want to be careful with One 4 all cards - because after 12months

A monthly inactive balance charge of €1.45 (or the credit balance on the Card, if lower) will be charged after the Card has been in issue for 12 months. This charge will start to be applied from the following month and will continue until such times as the balance on the Card is zero and this Agreement is terminated.
    https://www.one4all.ie/terms-conditions

rogercross wrote: »

And when December comes,most of us here will have Xmas 2016 taken care of while others will be full of panic and have nothing done.

Nothin wrong with planning ahead.
    In fact,I'm gonna try and do it this way every year.

bought two dressing gowns last night on the m&s sale online,

worked out at 15 euro each after i entered the discount code!
    nice presents for the mother in law! you know how they are with brands! marks will keep them warmer than pennys ye know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I have planned everyone's present so far - its 281 days to Christmas - and since I just started back at work - I've two days off a week... so 79 days to prepare - oh f*ck! yes - panic has set in! How on earth do people do this when working full time!??! :O

For the people who are closer to me, I've spotted nice vases in IKEA, and going to put them into a box and secure it with newspaper and tissue paper (to hide the newspaper!), so I've 5 of those to get, but I'm worried about trying to get them home, because they're HEAVY, and I've to get the bus home.... another mission to add to the list!

I'm giving candles and frames to people who are acquaintances that I don't see too often, and going to wrap them in cellophane and ribbon.

on another note - I found presents that were given to me in 2015 that I didn't open - and I found €50 in a card - nice little surprise!

ive laxed a bit with presents, havent bought things in ages!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Hi no presents bought yet but then again I buy very few to begin with. I normally just add my name to the presents that my parents send to people but start buying presents normally during Summer so should be starting soon. Ikea is a good shout for presents especially if your looking for household goods as presents.

shakencat wrote: »
    ive laxed a bit with presents, havent bought things in ages!!

Same here. But then we can afford to now, seeing as we have so much done already!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I got another present today when on my lunchbreak. That's 3 done. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Have my list of people to buy for, possible presents & budget done! Woot! Now to get shopping! Going to hit up Ikea next week to get the baby sorted out with a play kitchen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

Shoe Lover wrote: »
    Have my list of people to buy for, possible presents & budget done! Woot! Now to get shopping! Going to hit up Ikea next week to get the baby sorted out with a play kitchen!

Nothin productive to comment but had to say I love your user name :pac: good luck with the shopping !

Sat down last night to look at my lists and have the best part of my presents bought! Delighted with myself. Hopefully this year with the presents ouf of the way I will finally he able to buy my new christmas tree :( every year I leave it too late. Soon as I see those suckers in the shop im grabbing it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

A question for the experienced shoppers in the forum. As a result of the brexit referendum and the current situation with the sterling what is the opinion relating to shoppers who head north to get presents. Are you going now or are you waiting until closer to the time when the exchange rate may or may not be more favourable than it currently is?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My own personal opinion is the sterling will improve as things settle down and the year goes on. My advise get your online and northern shopping done as soon as you can.

• Advertisement

Loughc wrote: »
    My own personal opinion is the sterling will improve as things settle down and the year goes on. My advise get your online and northern shopping done as soon as you can.

Agreed ! Sterling traditionally has always been a strong currency, and it's drop is only a reflection of the panic and uncertainty that any country would be facing in their situation. I expect it will bounce back soon enough so I got most of my online stuff ordered late last week from UK

got another little present today in the sales... ticking by i am!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Shopping is well and truly underway :)
    The Book People had a sale which helped as did Argos :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Officially started gift shopping this week! Technically, though, it was a birthday present as me Ma has hers in the first week of December but since my local Pandora shop was having a summer sale, I though "Feck it, why not?"
    Got her a gorgeous pair of diamante earrings that I'm sure she'll be delighted with. That's one down, 13 to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I am going into the Brown Thomas Christmas shop for a gift for me! We only do gifts for our children so no shopping really for anyone else.

i got a few bits in the reebok and m and s sale the other day! i have maybe 15 people to buy for (some only small bits) i only have 4 left :)

2 of them are the bestie and other half, so they should be ticked closer to the time anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Bought another gift today- a fancy Joop aftershave for me uncle. Boots have some fantastic fragrance bargains on at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I've started my christmas shopping. First bits purchased yesterday. Was walking by a shop and noticed two great bargins. I have them all wrapped and tagged.

I have most of mine done by now. To be honest though I start in January each year and always pick up bits through the year. I'm just waiting for heatons half price toy sale to see if I can pick up any odd little bits and pieces ! :) I love the fact that I'm not feeling under pressure to pick up toys in November / December. I think every year I see my mam and sister freak out and panic shop and I think it would ruin christmas for me if I was stressing over finances !

• Advertisement

Quick heads up for anyone looking for bargain for toys . Check out the salvage shop on fb they are having a stock clearance on toys from smyths over the next few days due to the fire at the store in naas. 50 % off all retail prices ; )

Advertisement