Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Years Eve - why were some venues closed?

Options
  • 01-01-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I was surprised to see the Pav, Roundy Bar and Savoy closed last night (new years eve). And the Triskel Centre was open, but there were only three patrons in there (there were two DJ's, doorman and barstaff!).

Oliver Plunket on the other hand seemed to be packed.

So, what gives? Flooding?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭CianDon

The Savoy has been closed this past month at least so that would explain that one, but no idea about the rest. I spent the night in Douglas and everywhere looked to be preety packed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Isn't the Pav closed again? Thought it closed down again just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

was just going to say yep the pav is closed again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Milly33 wrote: »
    was just going to say yep the pav is closed again..

But wasn't the Pav only taken over and reopened again towards the end of last year?

Surely it hasn't run into trouble already?

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/pav-to-re-open/367645/

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/pav/387694/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

The Pav's Facebook page has this: https://m.facebook.com/ThePavCork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭kcb

The Pav closed again a few weeks back.

It sounds like Cork city in general was very quiet this NYE. But that's been the downward trend.

I don't know why the city Corp doesn't organise some event; fireworks, live street music, even some market stalls etc

Or why the bars don't do something out of the ordinary to create a bit of a buzz for the night,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

A lot of people have tired of New Years eve... I know I find it a bit of an effort would prefer going out on the 1st. weather didn't help this year, I know of a number of people who went abroad for it.

The city corp should look into something to attract people into the city that night. plus very few places are opened new years day to attract in people overnight. I remember a few years ago we had people down from Dublin for new years eve and we found it very hard to find somewhere for breakie the morning after. has this changed in recent years?

yeah tis a shame with the Pav i thought they were doing well. There seemed to be a lot of people giving out about the acts on their facebook page but thought they had a decant varation of gigs...

Good idea with Cork to do something for New Years put more things on or even fireworks something should be done...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,394 ✭✭✭ofcork

I think NYE in cork has been going downhill since the farce of 2000 when there was nothing open and people went to house paties and have been going since.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Good idea with Cork to do something for New Years put more things on or even fireworks something should be done...

Don't know if it would be worth it really. The Council have a limited enough budget as it is and a decent worthwhile fireworks show etc is by no means cheap. Not sure it would be a good use of scarce money.

• Advertisement

Council budget haha sorry but I do believe them to be muppets, they have plenty of money they just choose to waste it on stupid roundiebouts and traffic light systems...

even an event with some music kid friendly would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Council budget haha sorry but I do believe them to be muppets, they have plenty of money they just choose to waste it on stupid roundiebouts and traffic light systems...

even an event with some music kid friendly would be great.

If you believe they are muppets why are you calling for NYE events to be organised? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Don't know if it would be worth it really. The Council have a limited enough budget as it is and a decent worthwhile fireworks show etc is by no means cheap. Not sure it would be a good use of scarce money.

+1

Also it drives Dogs and Cats f*cking mental in peoples homes.

And you're look at around 80k minimum for a decent display and you are literally setting that money on fire while there are people on the housing waiting list.

I don't see how you could justify it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

+1

And you're look at around 80k minimum for a decent display and you are literally setting that money on fire while there are people on the housing waiting list.

and take into account the weather around this time of year. Imagine having a fireworks display during storm Frank.

I didnt say the council should arrange it i just agreed with someone who mentioned it... Ah a few fire works wont kill the animals, lighting up a little.. Fine well go back to doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

+1

To be fair, that money has absolutely nothing to do with the housing list, it's a separate budget completely and the houses are available, but largely in unfinished estates they have no intention of filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,310 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

yeah tis a shame with the Pav i thought they were doing well. There seemed to be a lot of people giving out about the acts on their facebook page but thought they had a decant varation of gigs...

They weren't able to run it and it tanked...and weren't paying their staff, suppliers and musicians towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

It's not just a Cork thing, I live in Edinburgh and aside from the massive street party (blocked off and ticket only gig) the city is actually quiet.
    2 years ago I was out in the city for it and was amazed at the amount of space in pubs.

Seems house parties are what people hit, which is understandable enough.

They weren't able to run it and it tanked...and weren't paying their staff, suppliers and musicians towards the end.

really tut tut shame on them for doing something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

In all my adult years (and that's quite a few), I think I've been in town for one New Year’s Eve ever. Most of my friends would be similar.

It's just not a big night in Cork city for most people, as far I can see, and never has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Yeah house parties are where it's at. Usually go to a local one to put on a gig, live music with various bands and musicians playing til whenever in the early morning and a relaxed *ahem* smoking policy. Can't think of a better way to spend New Year's tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Just on New Years Eve, where can you get Chinese lanterns?

Advertisement