Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Spirogyra wrote: »
    I ran 14.5mi!es today the first 11 miles were under 10minutes, however my lower back 'kicked' and the final 3 were a limp. I've done 2 fulls in limerick. Don't think I could give a good account of myself in 7 weeks time though. I may aim for the Galway Bay full or Dublin later though ☺

I've done the Galway bay half for the last two yrs, it's a very flat course only a small hill at the very end of each lap out near the caravan park, thinking of doing the full this year too all going well. Only thing that can go against you is if the weather is windy. Gets a very strong wind coming over the bay the best of times, been lucky the lasts few yrs though. Full will be four loops of the course though.

Ran the majority of the second half of the limerick marathon route today. Turned up past the crescent instead of going out by the ind est. haven't ran it in a while and it has a few more hills than I remember. Averaged 8:06 min miles over a 16 mile run so happy with that. First half of route is definitely a lot faster and easier than second.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Got a mail to say 10% discount for GLR using the code: paddy17
    Offer due to expire midnight March 18th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Got a mail to say 10% discount for GLR using the code: paddy17
    Offer due to expire midnight March 18th

Am thinking of availing, their prices I think are pretty outrageous, e58 to run around the streets of Limerick for the 'half' , only thing being,would be a very boring weekend if I don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

What they a promo code for the Easter weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,007 ✭✭✭opus

What they a promo code for the Easter weekend?

EASTER10 should give 10% off, good 'til Monday according to the email I got.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

€4/5 euro booking fee, Cowboys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

4.5 miles run,unfortunately this year only for the half,too many injuries. That I appear OK afterwards though is positive ☺ I can imagine it will feel strange doing the half when I've already twice done the full ?I kinda feel that the full is where I belong, but injuries just took their toll...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Loads of promo codes but no discount for booking early. Very annoying.

I'm sure I got an early booking price when I booked, could have been end of Dec or Jan I think.

Just checked €65 for full and had 10% Xmas discount before Dec 31st.. Plus the rip off booking fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

I think the route for the half and full is slightly changed this year.

The hill at the Crescent shopping centre could be gone. If the road marking are to believed it is out and back at Old Crescent RFC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Limerick91 wrote: »
    I think the route for the half and full is slightly changed this year.

The hill at the Crescent shopping centre could be gone. If the road marking are to believed it is out and back at Old Crescent RFC

I emailed and got the following reply from them

Yes route has slightly changed out by rosbrien it is not going into the industrial estate this year. We hope to have the maps up by the end of the week.

Kind Regards,

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

So I'm not going mad!! Spotted a road marking kinda late this morning on my way to work in the Greenfields Road. I could have sworn it said mile 19 and it was marked as if we were travelling back towards town. Think I also saw a 6 mile marker for the half on the same road. If that is accurate the changes are much more than just dropping the industrial estate section! Previously they would have been the 14mile/ 1 mile markers. I'll check again on Wednesday. It was Monday today and the brain wasn't fully with it!

Just saw previous post... Those markings would fit in with the out and back route suggested if correct.

Wonder where is the turning point then. Maybe it goes around the raheen roundabout and back up the church hill

JohnDozer wrote: »
    So I'm not going mad!! Spotted a road marking kinda late this morning on my way to work in the Greenfields Road. I could have sworn it said mile 19 and it was marked as if we were travelling back towards town. Think I also saw a 6 mile marker for the half on the same road. If that is accurate the changes are much more than just dropping the industrial estate section! Previously they would have been the 14mile/ 1 mile markers. I'll check again on Wednesday. It was Monday today and the brain wasn't fully with it!

Just saw previous post... Those markings would fit in with the out and back route suggested if correct.

They have 'H' and 'M' to distinguish the 2 race distance - GLR Office said they hope to have new routes on their website by end of this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Limerick91

The new route is on the Great Limerick Run website. At least it takes out the few hundred meters in the industrial estate and the horrible hill at the Crescent Shopping Centre

Limerick91 wrote: »
    The new route is on the Great Limerick Run website. At least it takes out the few hundred meters in the industrial estate and the horrible hill at the Crescent Shopping Centre

http://www.greatlimerickrun.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Marathon-Map.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

Would anyone have a route elevation for the half.....seems to be a big change from last year's race, I'm not from limerick so was wondering if it's flatter or hillier? Thanks

cgooner wrote: »
    Would anyone have a route elevation for the half.....seems to be a big change from last year's race, I'm not from limerick so was wondering if it's flatter or hillier? Thanks

I'll run the new section tomorrow and give the elevation

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

That would be great thanks but don't put yourself out unless you were planning on coming checking out the course. Big change compared to last year!

• Advertisement

cgooner wrote: »
    That would be great thanks but don't put yourself out unless you were planning on coming checking out the course. Big change compared to last year!

I'll do it at 9am and get the elevations from strava

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I'll sneak this in before donutheadhomer finishes! This is the one from the old course in 2014.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/492863416

Hope to run. Training has fallen off a bit in the last 6 weeks but I'm going to try and get it together in time for a half decent performance hopefully...

From what I remember, this route change will create a bit of gridlock on mile 2 of the half. The orad is not overly wide and the field hasn't thinned out yet, so with runners going both ways there will be less room to manoeuvre. Might just settle for the sensible conservative start.

I'll do it at 9am and get the elevations from strava

Untitled.png

a847s4y6z

This is from the Mile 15 Marker back to that point

OEA7E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭diego_b

That looks pretty flat to me donutheadhomer (mmm donuts), thanks a million for the info!

diego_b wrote: »
    That looks pretty flat to me donutheadhomer (mmm donuts), thanks a million for the info!

climb up to roundabout and longish drag in the housing estate but flat or downhill other than that.

There will be a lot of congestion though as Mile 1.5 of the Half and Mile 19 of the Marathon are at the same point going in opposite direction (level crossing on Rosbrien Road) and its very narrow.

There will be a lot of congestion though as Mile 1.5 of the Half and Mile 19 of the Marathon are at the same point going in opposite direction (level crossing on Rosbrien Road) and its very narrow.

Good to know, not familiar with that part of the city.

• Advertisement

I remember that section last year actually as we ran out that way...that definitely will be cosy and it's a fast section too. I think there was cones in the middle of the road last year actually and they were lethal. More traffic there is all that is needing and going the opposite way too!

Advertisement