Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run Marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Can't see there being too much congestion there for the full, field should be well spread out by then. The new course will make the slog in from dooradoyle easier I think, now just to make thomandgate to Gaelic grounds easier

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

There will be a lot of congestion though as Mile 1.5 of the Half and Mile 19 of the Marathon are at the same point going in opposite direction (level crossing on Rosbrien Road) and its very narrow.

Agree the front end/3 hours runners will be running back into the half marathon start which has always taken the whole road from previous experience. They had cones on one year which only acted as trip hazards so I hope they dont use them to try and split the road. It will work without the use of cones if some common sense is used by both sets of runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Cones won't be suitable

They will need barriers or tape.

I have ran the half a few times and it is still very congested at this stage. It kind of thins out after Scotts pub

Limerick91 wrote: »
    Cones won't be suitable

I have ran the half a few times and it is still very congested at this stage. It kind of thins out after Scotts pub

Barriers are worse. They have used them before at the church. The small legs that stick out are a worse trip hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Cones won't be suitable

Usually at that point it is very bunched and fully spread across the entire road. In previous years the cones were to separate the cars from the runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭inthehole1

is anyone thinking of doing a trial run of the half route maybe next weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ocditsme

inthehole1 wrote:
    is anyone thinking of doing a trial run of the half route maybe next weekend?

Ya next sat morn. Traveling home from drogheda for the weekend. Ran the 1st half a few weeks ago. But tweaked my hamstring and have been resting this past 2 weeks. So hopefully start again this week and do 2nd half next sat.

Any idea on what time your pacing yet Ger or who is doing what times

Time to enter the marathon

Did 22 miles in the wind, rain and hail on Sunday so I should be set for the 26 miles

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Any idea on what time your pacing yet Ger or who is doing what times

I am down for 4 as it stands. As usual it tends to get rejigged the week before so we will see. If and when I am previe to the final list I will stick it up here. Apparently there is a legend from cork pacing the 2 hour half band.:D

• Advertisement

Thinking of nestling in with the 3:15 pacers, had decided on training for 3:20 but had run faster on every run so might aswell go for it, have never ran with a pacing group before

Time to enter the marathon

Did 22 miles in the wind, rain and hail on Sunday so I should be set for the 26 miles

Wasn't the best weather for my final long run either, 16 miles and averaged 7:45 minute miles. Was delighted with that considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Hi there

Anyone entered the Munster Championships in either the half or full marathon?

The entry form on the GLR website doesn't give the option to enter the Munster Championships, just club/college.

If the club is in Munster, is the athlete automatically entered into the Munster Championships?

How many athletes required for a scoring team?

See attached. Basically Declare your club on the entry form and make sure your club registration is up to date.
    There is also an open AAI race for runners outside of Munster.

http://munsterathletics.com/forms/2016/Munster%20Marathon%20Info%202016.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ger664 wrote: »
    See attached. Basically Declare your club on the entry form and make sure your club registration is up to date.
    There is also an open AAI race for runners outside of Munster.

http://munsterathletics.com/forms/2016/Munster%20Marathon%20Info%202016.pdf

Cheers Ger.

I wonder can a Munster Championship athlete win a cash prize as well in the open race?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Am doing the full marathon. Few questions for those who would know. 1 How would this compare with the Dublin route? (That's the only marathon I've done before) 2 Are they giving out gels on the route and what type? 3 What type of sports drinks are they giving out? 4 Is parking fairly okay prior to the marathon? All info greatly appreciated, great to know this stuff before heading out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Am doing the full marathon. Few questions for those who would know. 1 How would this compare with the Dublin route? (That's the only marathon I've done before) 2 Are they giving out gels on the route and what type? 3 What type of sports drinks are they giving out? 4 Is parking fairly okay prior to the marathon? All info greatly appreciated, great to know this stuff before heading out.

1. I've not done the marathon, but I've done a lot of running on the marathon route and I did Dublin last year. There's some tough hills in Castletroy (about mile 6 - 10 I think) and again about mile 19, and by the Gaelic Grounds. I'd imagine it would be tougher than Dublin, which I found only had the one tough hill (Heartbreak Hill) and it wasn't as bad as the hill near Thomond Park when I did the Limerick Half last year

3. Last year, it was Lucozade Sport - oops, that was Dublin. Limerick91 was right. Manky spar stuff. Took one swig and dumped the bottle. It was cold though!

4. You won't get decent parking in the city, as most of the roads will be closed. Where are you staying (or are you driving down on the day)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

chrislad wrote: »
    1. I've not done the marathon, but I've done a lot of running on the marathon route and I did Dublin last year. There's some tough hills in Castletroy (about mile 6 - 10 I think) and again about mile 19, and by the Gaelic Grounds. I'd imagine it would be tougher than Dublin, which I found only had the one tough hill (Heartbreak Hill) and it wasn't as bad as the hill near Thomond Park when I did the Limerick Half last year

3. Last year, it was Lucozade Sport.

4. You won't be decent park in the city, as most of the roads will be closed. Where are you staying (or are you driving down on the day)?

Will be driving in from Ennis, thought some place around the Clarion would be handy for parking.

1)They have taken out one of the worst hills at the crescent shopping center, mile 19. There are 3 hills in the last 6 miles, two are fairly short and the last one at the Gaelic Grounds can be tough. The one at the Gaelic Grounds is mile 23 if I remember

2)No gels given out

3)Sports drink last year was actually Spar's own brand Isotonic drink. Horrible stuff

4)Plenty of car parks in the city. You can book QPark ones online and get a good deal on parking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Will be driving in from Ennis, thought some place around the Clarion would be handy for parking.

You could park in the Crescent? Nice warm up to get to the start line, then a bus back fairly handy. Free too. QPark in town is there too. Not sure what the day rate it, but I can't imagine it being less the 2e an hour. Same goes for Arthurs Quay park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

1)They have taken out one of the There are 3 hills in the last 6 miles, two are fairly short and the last one at the Gaelic Grounds can be tough. The one at the Gaelic Grounds is mile 23 if I remember

They are only little speedbumps but just seem so big because people underestimate the earlier gradients and have spent their energy without realising it on the longer more gradual longer climbs early on. The climb from around 12.5 Miles to 14ish is the most dangerous section and will eat through fuel if you aren't careful and add on the adrenalin rush of coming back into the city and it can be easy to overcook it. The first 2.5 miles are tough as well and a section will have to be done another time on the new route this year from Lidl up to the top past punches cross. 6 through 9 is tough enough because of it's rolling nature with some climbs along there. The last loop of 5 Miles is a breeze if you've paced the earlier part of the race right with only a few short climbs and a lot of nice gradual downhills. You don't lose a ton of time on short little hills so pushing up them is pointless for what's gained and lost in energy, the sneaky time of any marathon is what comes in the first 20 miles when you have a lot of energy and don't feel the hardest parts of the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

YFlyer wrote: »
    Cheers Ger.

I wonder can a Munster Championship athlete win a cash prize as well in the open race?

Yep, Sean Hehir picked up a nice car for his win in Dublin so I can't see this being any different.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

just registered for the half ... 60.50 including 3.50 booking charge...must be most expensive half in the country!...I know I left it a bit late to register....its the booking charge that infuriated me!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

PIORUN wrote: »
    just registered for the half ... 60.50 including 3.50 booking charge...must be most expensive half in the country!...I know I left it a bit late to register....its the booking charge that infuriated me!

Wow they know how to charge, think it was ~€43 to enter the Cork City half.

Btw anyone know if it's still possible to collect your number early on the morning of the race as don't fancy driving back/forth to Limerick just to get a piece of paper?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

opus wrote: »
    Wow they know how to charge, think it was ~€43 to enter the Cork City half.

Btw anyone know if it's still possible to collect your number early on the morning of the race as don't fancy driving back/forth to Limerick just to get a piece of paper?
    you can only collect on the Friday evening and Saturday as far I know..

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

If you're coming from Ennis then park anywhere on the Dock Road/Upper Henry Street side. It's free on Sundays.
    You might even get a spot behind Henry St Garda station if you're in early enough.
    From here you're a 5-6 minute walk to the start line and probably less than this from the finish line.

As regards what the course is like, I have ran DCM a few times and I'd say Dublin is a slightly less hilly course than Limerick.
    While I've never ran the full Marathon in Limerick I have ran nearly all sections of the course at various times.
    There's a few drags in the first half that are worth noting. See profile from strava
    As has been said there's been a change to the half marathon route, which is the 2nd half of the full marathon.
    There's a few of us running it this week so I'll post a link to it then.
    Best of luck !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

As regards what the course is like, I have ran DCM a few times and I'd say Dublin is a slightly less hilly course than Limerick.

One of us is remembering it wrong then. I've done Limerick only once, in 2012, and from what I remember it was significantly flatter than Dublin. There were a few drags but only one short climb (towards Thomond Park) that was worth mentioning. I'm not sure how the course has changed since then but the map looks reasonably similar.

In fact, my race report from back then contains the line "Limerick is a very flat marathon and none of the climbs is either long or steep".

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

agree with TFB. The course was pretty flat when I ran it in 2014, with the road up to the GAA stadium the only real climb. There was a motorway bridge (?) a couple of miles before that was fairly gentle.
    Dublin isn't very hilly, but there's more in it than in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

One of us is remembering it wrong then. I've done Limerick only once, in 2012, and from what I remember it was significantly flatter than Dublin. There were a few drags but only one short climb (towards Thomond Park) that was worth mentioning. I'm not sure how the course has changed since then but the map looks reasonably similar.

In fact, my race report from back then contains the line "Limerick is a very flat marathon and none of the climbs is either long or steep".

I wouldn't be able to fully dispute this one way of the other as I have never ran the route as a continuous run,
    but have ran it in stages on many training runs, if I had to call it then I'd go with Limerick being a more difficult route.
    I guess it come down how you feel when you come to each of the hills/drags and whether they take much out of you at the time.

I ran Kilnaboy 10 mile a few weeks ago and bar one hill I didn't find it hilly. But a friend who ran it too said he found it very hilly and didnt enjoy it at all.

I'm sure Sunny Disposition will tell us one way or another in a few weeks.

Are you pacing it this time Thomas ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Are you pacing it this time Thomas ?

No. Just running it as a training run, hoping that I won't do anything particularly stupid and mess up my subsequent training.

Advertisement