Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When did the Irish stop speaking Irish?

Comments

I know if that quote is accurate my estimation of Collins has plummeted.

Collins was, of course, correct. As if an independent Ireland that is as English as Sussex is worth having. In a western Europe where we share largely the same social and political rights, there are two possible reasons for a separate state: first, a new more socially advanced state is being created; second, a cultural distinctiveness is being protected or promoted by the state.

Without Irish in particular and cultural distinctiveness in general we might as well be honest, call it a day for a separate Irish state, put the Union Jack back on government buildings and become British. At least prices will be cheaper, taxes lower and public services higher because of the greater economies of scale a bigger state offers. This charade of aping English culture, hating Irish culture and then claiming to have an "Irish" identity is a dishonesty that does nobody any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    The average 12 year old could barely read a newspaper.

If you really think that's the case I suggest maybe your Irish is not as good as you think it is.

http://www.thisiswhyimbroke.com/images/neckbeard-lighter-640x533.jpg

I'd argue mine is about the top 5% of regular irish speakers.I got second highest in munster in my junior and A1 in my leaving cert. I went to the only all irish school on the north side of cork city. We done our entire leaving certificate in irish.if you could tell me how to improve my irish further I'm all ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

smurgen wrote: »
    I'd argue mine is about the top 5% of regular irish speakers.I got second highest in munster in my junior and A1 in my leaving cert. I went to the only all irish school on the north side of cork city. We done our entire leaving certificate in irish.if you could tell me how to improve my irish further I'm all ears.
    Then quite frankly I cannot understand why you would find German a harder language to learn. The grammar makes much more intuitive sense for an English speaker and the vocab is quite similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Without Irish in particular and cultural distinctiveness in general we might as well be honest, call it a day for a separate Irish state, put the Union Jack back on government buildings and become British.

The 1930s are back the way you came, TBH. Let's examine for a moment the relationship between spoken languages and the number of sovereign states they can be spoken in natively, without people finding it overly odd. And I'm sure to leave plenty out, but just by way of getting us started:

German: Germany, Luxembourg, Austria, Belgium, Italy, Switzerland
    French: France, Belgium, Switzerland, Andorra, Luxembourg
    Dutch: Netherlands, Belgium
    Spanish: Spain, most of South and Central America, much of USA

And of course, our own language of English:

All the bits of the UK, Channel Islands, Isle of Man. Ireland, Oz, NZ, USA, South Africa, loads of other places.

So yup, speaking English basically condemns us to being English, eating scones and reading the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

We done our entire leaving certificate in irish.

How's that working out for you?

mackerski wrote: »
    How's that working out for you?

Very good actually.work in one of the world biggest banks as a senior accountant.thankfully I don't get paid for spelling or grammar.I'm more a number cruncher.

Very good actually.work in one of the world biggest banks as a senior accountant.thankfully I don't get paid for spelling or grammar.I'm more a number cruncher.
    A man after my own heart, pity you spent so much time learning a dying language.

Then quite frankly I cannot understand why you would find German a harder language to learn. The grammar makes much more intuitive sense for an English speaker and the vocab is quite similar.

I found it easier to learn on an intuitive level.same with French. The German for me was too mechanical.I found the amount of rules in German difficult to understand. There's abstract rules in french and Irish with regards to the grammar that are unusual to the extent that they were easier to learn e.g aimsir ghnáthcaithe.

I found it easier to learn on an intuitive level.same with French. The German for me was too mechanical.I found the amount of rules in German difficult to understand. There's abstract rules in french and Irish with regards to the grammar that are unusual to the extent that they were easier to learn e.g aimsir ghnáthcaithe.
    Hm, I guess I prefer the mechanical nature. Having said that I'm currently learning Spanish, I don't have much experience with French but I believe the grammar is similar? I find Spanish grammar much more intuitive than Irish.

If only I could get that blasted thrilled "R" correct.

• Advertisement

A man after my own heart, pity you spent so much time learning a dying language.

One thing I've learned if I've learned anything is that time studying isn't time wasted.like how people give out about people studying arts in college. If we were to study from an early age on specific subjects then I think we leave ourselves open to failure.I think it's vital to have a diverse range of subjects.even if I never used irish to earn money there's probably transferable skills I picked up and used elsewhere.

Hm, I guess I prefer the mechanical nature. Having said that I'm currently learning Spanish, I don't have much experience with French but I believe the grammar is similar? I find Spanish grammar much more intuitive than Irish.

If only I could get that blasted thrilled "R" correct.

Spanish is the only one I'd trade in the Irish language for.mainly because Spanish speaking countries are those I'd love to travel.heard it's one of the easier to learn tho.It all depends on how your brain works I suppose.I was studying a lot of number based subjects at the time and I think my brain was saturated with rules.the irish was almost a welcome break.my god that should depressing!

Spanish is the only one I'd trade in the Irish language for.mainly because Spanish speaking countries are those I'd love to travel.heard it's one of the easier to learn tho.It all depends on how your brain works I suppose.I was studying a lot of number based subjects at the time and I think my brain was saturated with rules.the irish was almost a welcome break.my god that should depressing!
    The interesting thing about Spanish though is how "flexible" the grammar rules are. And by that I mean native speakers seem to just ignore them when it suits!
    One thing I've learned if I've learned anything is that time studying isn't time wasted.like how people give out about people studying arts in college. If we were to study from an early age on specific subjects then I think we leave ourselves open to failure.I think it's vital to have a diverse range of subjects.even if I never used irish to earn money there's probably transferable skills I picked up and used elsewhere.
    I'm not saying subjects with questionable financial benefit shouldn't be taught, but they shouldn't be mandatory.

The interesting thing about Spanish though is how "flexible" the grammar rules are. And by that I mean native speakers seem to just ignore them when it suits!

I'm not saying subjects with questionable financial benefit shouldn't be taught, but they shouldn't be mandatory.

I'd don't think anything should be mandatory either.except maybe physical education and maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

I would love to learn Irish now. It wasn't taught properly in school so I never did get it.

But there is a scarcity of courses for adults in my area. It's hard to find a place that will teach it for everyday use. The only course I know of is to repeat the leaving cert Irish. It didnt work out the first time around so I am defo not going to do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

If I took a drink every time the "dying language" was mentioned on this thread I'd be drunk as a fool.

The idea is to keep it alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

It's definitely more difficult to learn than any of the Romance or Germanic languages, and it doesn't help when we have people claiming to be fluent who's Irish is no better than an average 12 year old's English.

No it isn't. It's as easy to learn any of those languages.

No language is difficult to learn. Anyone can become proficient in any language on the planet within 2 years, provided immersion is a part of that process.

Benny the Irish Polyglot is a great example of someone who embodies this. Within 3 months of landing in a host country, he's already comfortable at speaking the native language.

I spoke to him here about the Irish language, and he fully agreed it's an easy language to learn, and that the biggest obstacle holding it back was lack of immersion in schools.

And this is coming from a guy who is fluent in nearly a dozen languages. I think he's in a better position than you on judging how difficult the Irish language is to acquire.

On a personal note, I couldn't speak the language until setting up a conversational group in my city about 10 years ago. Over the following year or two, I went from being unable to speak it - to holding comfortable conversations in the gaeltacht.

So whatever preconceived notions you have about it being a difficult language, are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

In the 1911 census lots of people were fluent in both English and Irish.

No it isn't. It's as easy to learn any of those languages.

No language is difficult to learn. Anyone can become proficient in any language on the planet within 2 years, provided immersion is a part of that process.

Benny the Irish Polyglot is a great example of someone who embodies this. Within 3 months of landing in a host country, he's already comfortable at speaking the native language.

I spoke to him here about the Irish language, and he fully agreed it's an easy language to learn, and that the biggest obstacle holding it back was lack of immersion in schools.

And this is coming from a guy who is fluent in nearly a dozen languages. I think he's in a better position than you on judging how difficult the Irish language is to acquire.

On a personal note, I couldn't speak the language until setting up a conversational group in my city about 10 years ago. Over the following year or two, I went from being unable to speak it - to holding comfortable conversations in the gaeltacht.

So whatever preconceived notions you have about it being a difficult language, are wrong.
    Did you ask him was Irish comparatively easy or difficult to learn in comparison to Spanish or French? Because that's what we were talking about, not how easy the language is to lean in isolation, which is entirely subjective.
    If I took a drink every time the "dying language" was mentioned on this thread I'd be drunk as a fool.

The idea is to keep it alive.
    The idea has been it keep it alive since the turn of the 20th century. It's still dying and will continue to linger on in a state of comatose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Did you ask him was Irish comparatively easy or difficult to learn in comparison to Spanish or French? Because that's what we were talking about, not how easy the language is to lean in isolation, which is entirely subjective.

The idea has been it keep it alive since the turn of the 20th century. It's still dying and will continue to linger on in a state of comatose.

If they removed its ridiculous level of funding and alike I would say 10 years max and it would be gone effectively. Its on life support at the moment.

If they removed it ridiculous level of funding and alike I would say 10 years max and it would be gone effectively. Its on life support at the moment.
    It's effectively brain dead, a brain dead language being kept alive on life support. The problem is, we're paying the electricity bill.

• Advertisement

Yes I did. He agreed that it was no more difficult than any other European language to learn. The Irish language is not a difficult language to acquire, if you do it properly.

I was exactly where you are now. I wasn't particularly strong at Irish in school, and thought it was impossible to learn as a teen. But a few years out of school, having setup a conversational group here - I learned that it's actually a pretty easy language to pick up. All I did was brought a little notebook with me for the first few months, jotting down any phrases I kept hearing repeated and added them to my vocabulary.

Not once did I worry about tenses, or grammar. Within a few months, I became comfortable with myself when speaking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Yes I did. He agreed that it was no more difficult than any other European language to learn. The Irish language is not a difficult language to acquire, if you do it properly.

I was exactly where you are now. I wasn't particularly strong at Irish in school, and thought it was impossible to learn as a teen. But a few years out of school, having setup a conversational group here - I learned that it's actually a pretty easy language to pick up. All I did was brought a little notebook with me for the first few months, jotting down any phrases I kept hearing repeated and added them to my vocabulary.

Not once did I worry about tenses, or grammar. Within a few months, I became comfortable with myself when speaking it.

That's exactly the route I am currently taking, I was terrible at Irish in school, But since I left I realised how important to our identity as a nation.I have completed the Irish course on duolingo and my Irish is better than it was at school

Currently looking at joining the local ciorcal comhrá.

That doesn't tell you anything. European languages vary in difficultly a great deal.

Can I ask why you spent so much time learning a useless language? You could have learned German, or French or Spanish. Why Irish? also I'm sceptical about how good your speech was if you weren't "worried about grammar".

It's in a more powerful position now than it was 25 years ago. We have a lot more Irish language media now - Our own TV channel, with Irish language programs also aired on BBC. Multiple radio stations operating in Irish, or with Irish language programming.. Irish language websites, and so forth..

You have people like Ed Sheeran recording his songs in Irish, and Irish language musical festivals like Ravelóid keeping the language relevant for teenagers.

You may not like the language, or like that it receives funding. I'm not here to argue who's opinion is valid or invalid. But the language most certainly isn't dead. It's a minority language, in a similar position to many minority languages around the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

That doesn't tell you anything. European languages vary in difficultly a great deal.

Can I ask why you spent so much time learning a useless language? You could have learned German, or French or Spanish. Why Irish? also I'm sceptical about how good your speech was if you weren't "worried about grammar".

Grammar comes with time. Your mother/father didn't go around teaching you grammar rules, you picked them up through listening to her/him and other people speak.

Caoimhgh1n wrote: »
    Grammar comes with time. Your mother/father didn't go around teaching you grammar rules, you picked them up through listening to her/him and other people speak.

Children learn languages different to adults.

It's in a more powerful position now than it was 25 years ago. We have a lot more Irish language media now - Our own TV channel, with Irish language programs also aired on BBC. Multiple radio stations operating in Irish, or with Irish language programming.. Irish language websites, and so forth..

You have people like Ed Sheeran recording his songs in Irish, and Irish language musical festivals like Ravelóid keeping the language relevant for teenagers.

You may not like the language, or like that it receives funding. I'm not here to argue who's opinion is valid or invalid. But the language most certainly isn't dead. It's a minority language, in a similar position to many minority languages around the world.

You realize you're agreeing with me?

It tells you that the language is not difficult to learn. I think you're splitting hairs at this point.
    Can I ask why you spent so much time learning a useless language? You could have learned German, or French or Spanish. Why Irish?

Do you expect to have an productive conversation when you use emotive words like "useless language"? I don't actually think you're interested in listening what I have to say. Your intent is to just project your views that the language is useless, and that it's a futile goal to learn it. Anyone sharing anecdotes countering your views, won't actually register with you.

I spent time learning the language, because I felt it would be an interesting journey to take. I felt disappointed that I had spent so many years in school learning it, without being able to speak it. I wanted to correct that.

I was rewarded in full, with all of the friends I have made and places I have visited over the years. I found and lost love through the language. Met interesting characters from all around the world.

For me - it was worth all the time I invested, and then some.
    also I'm sceptical about how good your speech was if you weren't "worried about grammar".[

Grammar isn't a relevant part of language acquisition. Building confidence and vocabulary is. That's the biggest problem with have with the curriculum. A child is not going to feel comfortable speaking a language, if they are constantly corrected on any grammatical mistakes they make.

They need to, and should be encouraged to make mistakes. It will increase their confidence, and allow for natural acquisition of the language over time. The grammar aspect of the language will come later, naturally.

As for how good my ability at speaking was - I was the chairperson for Conradh na Gaeilge in my city for years. I'd hazard a guess it was just fine.

You realize you're agreeing with me?

Actually, I'm not. Your claim was that the language was on it's deathbed, and was going to continue in that downward direction.

I countered that claim by demonstrating that the Irish language is in a much better position today, than it was previously. That because we have wider access to Irish language media, the language generally has a positive future.

That's not to say there's not obstacles ahead, or some issues need addressing. But the idea that the language is dead is ill-founded in my opinion.

It tells you that the language is not difficult to learn. I think you're splitting hairs at this point.
    Some European languages are very hard to learn. My point is that while Irish may not be as hard as Finnish or Russian it's certainly harder than German or Spanish. In my experience.
    Do you expect to have an productive conversation when you use emotive words like "useless language"? I don't actually think you're interested in listening what I have to say. Your intent is to just project your views that the language is useless, and that it's a futile goal to learn it. Anyone sharing anecdotes countering your views, won't actually register with you.
    I don't view calling Irish a useless language as emotive. A language is a tool of communication, if every one who speaks Irish also speaks English but not vice versa then the language literally has no use and is by definition "useless" that's not emotive or agenda pushing.
    I spent time learning the language, because I felt it would be an interesting journey to take. I felt disappointed that I had spent so many years in school learning it, without being able to speak it. I wanted to correct that.

I was rewarded in full, with all of the friends I have made and places I have visited over the years. I found and lost love through the language. Met interesting characters from all around the world.

For me - it was worth all the time I invested, and then some.
    But why Irish? You could have experienced all of that through any other language? Why study Irish?
    Grammar isn't a relevant part of language acquisition. Building confidence and vocabulary is. That's the biggest problem with have with the curriculum. A child is not going to feel comfortable speaking a language, if they are constantly corrected on any grammatical mistakes they make.

They need to, and should be encouraged to make mistakes. It will increase their confidence, and allow for natural acquisition of the language over time. The grammar aspect of the language will come later, naturally.

As for how good my ability at speaking was - I was the chairperson for Conradh na Gaeilge in my city for years. I'd hazard a guess it was just fine.
    Being corrected on one's grammar while speaking does not bode well for building confidence. How can a person ever speak confidently if they are unsure whether they're stringing their sentences together correctly.

• Advertisement

Don't you get grants or tax cuts and alike for Irish language content ? I would hardly say it's being done for language promotion only. There is a whole industry around getting money for Irish language content.

I never hear any "Teenagers around here speaking Irish".

Actually, I'm not. Your claim was that the language was on it's deathbed, and was going to continue in that downward direction.

I countered that claim by demonstrating that the Irish language is in a much better position today, than it was previously. That because we have wider access to Irish language media, the language generally has a positive future.

That's not to say there's not obstacles ahead, or some issues need addressing. But the idea that the language is dead is ill-founded in my opinion.
    Irish is on it's deathbed, it won't die in the foreseeable future. But it will continue to dwindle. I'd read this before you think about a resurgence of Irish.

http://www.gaelport.com/default.aspx?treeid=37&NewsItemID=3726

Some European languages are very hard to learn. My point is that while Irish may not be as hard as Finnish or Russian it's certainly harder than German or Spanish. In my experience.

But what is your experience? If your experience is in the context of a classroom, where very little immersion occurs - then your experience is limited. My experience encompasses a natural environment, where I'm immersed with Irish language speakers. In that context, I found the language easy to acquire.
    I don't view calling Irish a useless language as emotive. A language is a tool of communication, if every one who speaks Irish also speaks English but not vice versa then the language literally has no use and is by definition "useless" that's not emotive or agenda pushing.

The question didn't require for you to re-affirm your view on whether or not you find the language useless. It most certainly was an emotive question, evident by the tone in which you asked it.

The reality of linguistics is, the majority of the world's population is bilingual or multilingual. The majority of those languages are spoken in the scenario where another wider spoken language could be used.

When I speak to someone in Irish, it is with the knowledge that we both speak Irish and can both express ourselves to each other with the language. We could use English. We could use German, or French or Spanish if we were also fluent in them. But we choose Irish. It is a matter of choice, and preference.

I find use in the language. And because you don't, you find difficulty in the idea of another person finding use in it.
    But why Irish? You could have experienced all of that through any other language? Why study Irish?

I chose Irish because I wanted to be able to speak the indigenous language of the island I live on. I chose Irish, because I invested a lot of time in school on it without anything to show for it, and I wanted to correct that. I chose Irish because I live in Ireland. I don't live in Spain or Germany or France. If such a scenario arose where I wanted to move to those countries, I would learn their respective languages.

Right now, German, French and Spanish has very little use to me. I have more use for the Irish language.
    Being corrected on one's grammar while speaking does not bode well for building confidence. How can a person ever speak confidently if they are unsure whether they're stringing their sentences together correctly.

I think you're arguing from personal incredulity here. I think you should listen to what the polyglots are saying. And the one thing they agree on, is that in order to build confidence in speaking a language - you need to make mistakes, and not become overly conscious about every single word you speak.

Your grammar improves naturally over time. But in the early stages of language development, the most important thing should be to get grounded on the basics and become comfortable with using them. Being consistently corrected will make you more hesitant to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

I chose Irish because I wanted to be able to speak the indigenous language of the island I live on. I chose Irish, because I invested a lot of time in school on it without anything to show for it, and I wanted to correct that. I chose Irish because I live in Ireland. I don't live in Spain or Germany or France. If such a scenario arose where I wanted to move to those countries, I would learn their respective languages.

At this point in our history the indigenous or mother tongue of this country is English. Irish could be described as a historical language or even now a regional language.

BoatMad wrote: »
    At this point in our history the indigenous or mother tongue of this country is English. Irish could be described as a historical language or even now a regional language.

I would go with an historical tongue that was replaced for a more common available trading language. Like what always happens in Human population. People tend to shift to the most common available way of communication. I have no idea why people try to stick massive emotive context onto stuff that has happened time and time again throughout history.

But what is your experience? If your experience is in the context of a classroom, where very little immersion occurs - then your experience is limited. My experience encompasses a natural environment, where I'm immersed with Irish language speakers. In that context, I found the language easy to acquire.
    We weren't arguing about whether the language was easy to acquire. In isolation, that term means nothing, but whether it is easy to learn in comparison to Spanish or French.

If we accept that the closer a language is to English the easier it will be for an English speaker to learn. And we accept that Irish is more different to English than French is. Then I don't see why you would argue Irish is easier than French.

The question didn't require for you to re-affirm your view on whether or not you find the language useless. It most certainly was an emotive question, evident by the tone in which you asked it.

The reality of linguistics is, the majority of the world's population is bilingual or multilingual. The majority of those languages are spoken in the scenario where another wider spoken language could be used.

When I speak to someone in Irish, it is with the knowledge that we both speak Irish and can both express ourselves to each other with the language. We could use English. We could use German, or French or Spanish if we were also fluent in them. But we choose Irish. It is a matter of choice, and preference.

I find use in the language. And because you don't, you find difficulty in the idea of another person finding use in it.
    But that's the definition of uselessness. I suppose each to their own, you're not hurting anyone but I'll never understand it.
    Irish isn't the indigenous language of the island. I invested a lot of time in Irish too, that's why I want to make the subject optional, so if I ever have children in the Republic of Ireland they won't have to waste time for nothing to show for it either. Living in Ireland doesn't necessitate the speaking of Irish. I've lived here all my life, never once heard Irish outside the class room.
    Right now, German, French and Spanish has very little use to me. I have more use for the Irish language.
    you'd have far more use for those language if you spoke them.
    I think you're arguing from personal incredulity here. I think you should listen to what the polyglots are saying. And the one thing they agree on, is that in order to build confidence in speaking a language - you need to make mistakes, and not become overly conscious about every single word you speak.

Your grammar improves naturally over time. But in the early stages of language development, the most important thing should be to get grounded on the basics and become comfortable with using them. Being consistently corrected will make you more hesitant to speak.
    Fair enough but I'd rather learn before I make the mistakes. I can imagine if a person neglects their grammar they will be constantly corrected and that will make them hesitant to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

I know if that quote is accurate my estimation of Collins has plummeted.

Most Fine Gaelers have a incorrect view of what the man stood for. You should read The Path to Freedom

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Irish stopped being the main language of Ireland in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The fact that the Gaeltacht is shrinking at an alarming rate shows just how much in trouble the Irish language finds itself in.

90 years of forcing it down children's throats in school have utterly failed. Time for a new approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Orangebrigade

The language will be dead in probably 10 years. A lot of languages do just die, deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

The language will be dead in probably 10 years. A lot of languages do just die, deal with it.

30 years ago, Gaelscoileanna weren't a thing and TG4 wasn't a thing, and yet the language survived to today. Now, there are more supports in place, and it is easier to find ways to listen to, speak and read Irish if you are so inclined.
    The language may not thrive, but it will most definitely survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭megafan

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Irish stopped being the main language of Ireland in the 18th and 19th centuries.

The fact that the Gaeltacht is shrinking at an alarming rate shows just how much in trouble the Irish language finds itself in.

90 years of forcing it down children's in school have utterly failed. Time for a new approach.

Remember hearing a reporter on RTE (can't trace link apologies) stating that if the same criteria was used now (compered to original determination) in deciding where gaeltacht areas where we would have none now???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

As compared to made up "languages" that receive government & EU funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The language will be dead in probably 10 years.

If you could have your way it would, but you won't.
    A lot of languages do just die, deal with it.

The Irish language is resurgent in the north and there's a growing interest in learning it even amongst people who aren't nationalists. Even decades of it being forced upon bored students (enough to fossilize any number of subjects permanently) failed to kill it off so people like Tom Elliot have no chance. Deal with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭digger58

Why not make Irish optional in schools after junior cert? Then those that want to learn it will have the resources to do so and the messers will not distract them. Our children have to compete in a multi lingual Europe and we are doing very little in schools to help them, I would not favour letting those who do not wish to learn Irish off on an easy route either, they would need to opt for another language. We have put so much emphasis on Irish we have ignored languages we need to compete in the world. We give extra points to those who do their exams through Irish, why? surely this is blatant discrimination, we pay public servants extra who use Irish in their job! again terrible discrimination.

If you could have your way it would, but you won't.

The Irish language is resurgent in the north and there's a growing interest in learning it even amongst people who aren't nationalists. Even decades of it being forced upon bored students (enough to fossilize any number of subjects permanently) failed to kill it off so people like Tom Elliot have no chance. Deal with it.
    I don't care if deluded people in Northern Ireland learn a language that is not relevant anymore.

The truth hurts, the majority of people speak English here and that isn't going to change. It is like some are hanging on for dear life. Turn the life support machine off.

• Advertisement

As compared to made up "languages" that receive government & EU funding?
    I don't care for Ulster Scots. Typical Nationalists response just because a Unionist tells the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

megafan wrote: »
    Remember hearing a reporter on RTE (can't trace link apologies) stating that if the same criteria was used now (compered to original determination) in deciding where gaeltacht areas where we would have none now???

I dunno though....I've cousins who are from the Gaeltacht....they can switch between Irish and English in the same sentence....they would be n my own age and younger...,they are fluent

My own grandmother when she was old and her mind nearly gone and couldn't hardly talk atal....we were at a funeral for her brother and she was in a wheelchair and a friend she had growing up was up talking to her and the two of them in fluent Irish....at the time she couldn't baerly speak English..,,,though you couldn't ask her what they talked on as she couldn't remember....could just here em talking :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

I don't care if deluded people in Northern Ireland learn a language that is not relevant anymore.

The truth hurts, the majority of people speak English here and that isn't going to change. It is like some are hanging on for dear life. Turn the life support machine off.

It doesn't need a life support machine.

I can not see the language dying any time soon.

Why the **** are you on this site?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I don't care...
    I don't care...

Sure you do. That's why you're 'marching' through this thread trying to provoke a reaction. Ah sure t'would remind ye of the good old days before the parades commission, wouldn't it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement