Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Year's Day - town busy?

Options
  • 01-01-2016 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

I've visitors staying and cabin fever is starting to kick in :)
    Is town busy? Many pubs open? What about shops - would any be late night, or is everything closed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭spurshero

Most shops wound be closed by now or else 6 I would imagine . All pubs are open ... Don't see why any would be closed

Most shops are shut, many pubs, restaurants & the cinemas are open. Currently in Maccy D's waiting for a movie in IMC to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

spurshero wrote: »
    Most shops wound be closed by now or else 6 I would imagine . All pubs are open ... Don't see why any would be closed

It might be a thing of the past, but some smaller pubs used to close because no one was around.

Friday is late night shopping, so I assume you're saying shops are closing early?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭muskyj

inisboffin wrote: »
    It might be a thing of the past, but some smaller pubs used to close because no one was around.

Friday is late night shopping, so I assume you're saying shops are closing early?

today is a bank holiday - january 1st - different rules apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

inisboffin wrote: »

The majority of shops dont open New Years Day, late night shopping or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eyewitness report: I went for a walk about 3/4 of an hour ago, only a few shops were left open. No surprise though, lots don't open late on Friday any more anyways. More stay late on Thursdays, but even then many close at 7

Most pubs / restaurants are open. Exceptions I noticed were Riordans (not a place you'd send visitors anways :) ) and McDonaghs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Eyewitness report: I went for a walk about 3/4 of an hour ago, only a few shops were left open. No surprise though, lots don't open late on Friday any more anyways. More stay late on Thursdays, but even then many close at 7

Most pubs / restaurants are open. Exceptions I noticed were Riordans (not a place you'd send visitors anways :) ) and McDonaghs.

Don't think the owners and employees of Riordans would appreciate your backhanded dig. I've seen mod warnings for less IMHO it's a lovely place to eat in and the staff are second to none

Thanks all. I do know it's New Year's Day it's got 'different rules' and what exactly those are is what I was trying to figure out.

A friend said "all the shops are open" (and I wouldn't have agreed) so that's why I asked. The visitors went for a walk and a quick drink.

Sounds like it was more like a quiet Sunday in terms of activity.

No surprise though, lots don't open late on Friday any more anyways. More stay late on Thursdays, but even then many close at 7

That's an odd one. A friend who works in town said there's no rhyme or reason to it. Some shops have their 'late night' on Thurs (similar to Dublin) but others do it on Friday (not Thurs). I haven't really done a proper count of which is which.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭xtradel

Don't think the owners and employees of Riordans would appreciate your backhanded dig. I've seen mod warnings for less IMHO it's a lovely place to eat in and the staff are second to none

Yawn.... wanna quote some of these mod warnings you always ramble on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Riordans is a lovely place, but if you've visitors over and want to impress them, it's not the place. The food it does, it does REALLY well, mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Riordans is a lovely place, but if you've visitors over and want to impress them, it's not the place. The food it does, it does REALLY well, mind.

Indeed. I eat there occasionally.

The staff are sound, and the service is fast.

The food is exactly what it says on the menu, and it's always mouth-burningly hot - no danger of a cold dinner there! But it's also heavily salted, and unapologetic about having 2/3 different varieties of potatoes in the one dinner. Veggies are boiled to within an inch of their death. Fine if you want a fast, cheap plate and aren't too worried about healthy. Or even for a tourist who wants to eat Oirrish.

But it's never been listed when anyone asks for restaurant recommendations. And I'd never, ever send a visitor there.

Advertisement