Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you book flexible return flights to australia

• 01-01-2016 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hi folks heading to perth on a working holiday visa,planning on going around april/may im unsure of when i will be returning to ireland.is it possible to buy open ended return flights or do i have to pick a fixed date and maybe get it changed when im out there? thanks for help

also is there any airlines,flight paths i should go for or any to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Darraghgt4 wrote: »
    hi folks heading to perth on a working holiday visa,planning on going around april/may im unsure of when i will be returning to ireland.is it possible to buy open ended return flights or do i have to pick a fixed date and maybe get it changed when im out there? thanks for help

also is there any airlines,flight paths i should go for or any to avoid?

Could be wrong but fairly sure that "open returns" are a thing of the past.
    Last few times I tried was told I had to pick a return date or they couldn't issue tickets.
    Will cost a bit to change, usually a fixed fee plus difference in fare if any. Could be few hundred dollars.
    No real difference in flights or airlines any more, if you're doing it regularly there are some little quirks between airlines that people like but better off just getting it over with in fastest possible time unless you want to stop en-route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

To book a return you have to generally select a return date and that is usually up to 365 from the initial departure date.

To change your return ticket its usually about $100 per passenger per ticket plus any change in ticket price and possibly a $50-$100 admin fee (I had to do this last week several times).

You can sometimes upgrade your ticket to a more flexible fare when booking online that doesn't charge for name changes, destination changes, flight time/date changes but these tickets do cost significantly more. This makes paying the $100 change fee a cheaper option. You need to check with the airlines and the ticket rules on the costs.

To avoid all that hassle you can go into an actual travel agent who will do the booking for you, tell you all the information and then if/when you want to change they do all the leg work. Again, thats going to cost you more money than booking online.

Advertisement