Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incremental Tenant Purchase Scheme

Options
  • 01-01-2016 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

I was just reading through the new scheme the government announced in November, regarding exsisting council tenants purchasing their home.

I was suprised to read that the new scheme is only for new council build homes. My understanding is that if you are living in a council property for 5 years or even 10 years+, in order to take advantage of the new scheme you would have to be prepared to move. It seems strange considering some tenants would have invested considerable sums to date in maintaining and improving the property.

Maybe I have missed something?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Maybe it is strange but they can set whatever terms they want. Considering it is a scheme that gives people a home at a substantial discount thus reducing the social housing stock, i would be in favour of it having as limited a scope as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭kerosene

Maybe it is strange but they can set whatever terms they want. Considering it is a scheme that gives people a home at a substantial discount thus reducing the social housing stock, i would be in favour of it having as limited a scope as possible.

Prehaps that is the intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

The incremental purchase scheme is separate and was set up a few years ago. It gave social welfare tenants the opportunity to purchase a home at a discount but not the one they are living in and it had to be a new build. There was pretty much zero take up of this scheme as the councils had nothing on their books.

The tenant purchase scheme is different and it is coming into effect today and is based on the same discount scheme as the incremental purchase scheme. Tenants can purchase their homes for a discount between 40% and 60% with some limits on properties that can be purchased eg some purpose built homes for elderly or disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mattlennon2011

Hi,
    Just wondering if any of the banks are loaning money for scheme,I don't qualify for council mortgage because I owned a property before crash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you are a tenant ,the council does the repairs and maintenance,
    why would you be spending money on repairs to a property you do not own,
    you are allowed to paint internal walls and thats about it.
    The council only sell house,s , if you rent a flat or apartment there,s zero chance the council will sell it to you.i,m not sure how you cna improve a council property,
    apart from wall paper and paint,
    the council propertys are all built to a high standard.
    At least the ones built since 2008.
    This was covered on the joe duffy show, years ago.
    someone spent a lot of money on a new kitchen,
    when they moved out ,the kitchen was taken down and thrown into a skip.
    they were paying rent to the council .
    if theres an item that needs repair you are supposed to inform the council

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

kerosene wrote: »
    It seems strange considering some tenants would have invested considerable sums to date in maintaining and improving the property.
    I find it strange that some tenants would have invested considerable sums to date in maintaining and improving a property that they do not own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some tenants spend money on carpets, wallpaper , painting etc that is their own choice,
    at least until 2009,
    dublin city,s council policy was any tenant could buy the house, they rented ,
    if they paid the rent up to date.
    If they had they income to buy the house at the price set by the council .
    It should not be necessary for a tenant to maintain a council property,
    the council has a maintenance dept .

Advertisement