Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heated mini-shed for small pets

Options
  • 01-01-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭

I need to build a mini shed for a small terrace where I can keep a guinea pig + dwarf rabbit even in cold/windy weather.
    I'll still put a guinea/rabbit hutch inside that mini shed, but I don't want to keep a plastic cover on it (to avoid water condensation and to allow for heating).

The shed should have these features:

- Simple and safe thermostat controlled heater (maybe on the floor and then the hutch could be on a shelf inside the mini shed)
    - Well insulated so that keeping it at ~18'C in the winter is affordable (can't let wind in and must keep the heat in)
    - Have enough air circulation so that water condensation can't build up
    - Relatively large window so that there's plenty of light coming in

It'd be nice to start out of something half-ready at least, but I'm not sure where to start. Maybe stuff from IKEA/B&Q if there's something made of thick wood and fits on a small terrace/balcony.
    I'm not sure what sort of insulation to use to make it truly suitable for winter use and what sort of heating unit to look for that's safe to use inside a relatively small wooden box.
    I'd appreciate any advices.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Look for "Heat Pads" for piglets. They are used in commercial piggeries. Essentially a heater element encased in a slab of plastic three feet long and ten inches wide. About an inch deep.
    About the same energy consumption as a 40 watt bulb. They are designed to be concreted flush into a floor and are waterproof and piggy chew proof.
    Try "Jetwash ltd" in Leitrim. They have a website.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Look for "Heat Pads" for piglets. They are used in commercial piggeries. Essentially a heater element encased in a slab of plastic three feet long and ten inches wide. About an inch deep.
    About the same energy consumption as a 40 watt bulb. They are designed to be concreted flush into a floor and are waterproof and piggy chew proof.
    Try "Jetwash ltd" in Leitrim. They have a website.

Thank you! I'm looking into it. It turns out there's also less industrial versions on Amazon. Interesting option.

Advertisement