Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift Voucher Expiry Dates

Options
  • 01-01-2016 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I know the government was talking about scrapping expiry dates on vouchers, but is this Law yet or just proposed?

I have a 100 voucher for a restaurant and I just realised it expired in November (after 1 year).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Not law or never wil be imo as it would be unworkable
    You would have customers arriving years later attempting to realise vouchers they discovered while moving house
    I hate vouchers, I just don't get it.
    OP all you can do is ring the restaurant and ask them if they will honour it . There's s good chance they will as a gesture of goodwill.
    Restaurants rely on word of mouth recommendations and one unhappy punter can do a lot of damage
    Similarly a punter who feels they've had a good experience is invaluable
    Better still call in and ask
    Either way make sure you speak to the head bottle washer and if you get the thumbs up make a booking there and then and make sure that a note is added to the booking re the out of date voucher
    Will avoid an embarrassing stand off on the night
    Unfortunately if they stick to the T&Cs then there's nothing you can do about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Dapos wrote: »
    Hi,

I know the government was talking about scrapping expiry dates on vouchers, but is this Law yet or just proposed?

I have a 100 voucher for a restaurant and I just realised it expired in November (after 1 year).

Joe Duffy has done numerous shows on this! Some honour vouchers after years. Some such as Are Lingus have numerous t&c that can prevent you using them. I would never buy vouchers... get prize bonds instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

My policy is to give cash, which I refer to as "the universal gift voucher".

Advertisement