Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East of Ireland Lusk Half Marathon 27th Feb

• 01-01-2016 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Anyone doing this ?
    I booked my place this evening.
    They offer a full marathon or 10k option too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 rollout

I hadn't heard of EoI before but signed up for the half after your post.

Nice motivation for new year.

Doing bohermeen in March and Belfast full also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Did their half in Howth last week - was my first time running one of their events. They seem like a really good bunch; welcoming and encouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Not raced with them either. I believe the run is just two 10k loops for the half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

The Eoi guys are prob one of the best additions to marathon/long distance running in the last couple of years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

UM1 wrote: »
    The Eoi guys are prob one of the best additions to marathon/long distance running in the last couple of years..

Agreed. You will not find a nicer bunch of runners.

• Advertisement

Agreed. You will not find a nicer bunch of runners.

Good. I am looking forward to it now.

They have a race in Kildare this month but I can't get to it.
    Looking forward to kicking off the year with a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Its a fairly small field racing in this it seems? What sort of runners are doing this. Tempted to sign up and build on my 2 halfs from last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Does anyone know if they have a bag drop facility at it? I emailed the organisers a few days ago but haven't heard back.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

It says on their Web page that it's no first time marathon runners. Is this for the full marathon only or is it for all their races does anyone know .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

I'm going to do the one in KIldare. Would they usually have a few water stops? Or even one since it is loops?

I'm going to do the one in KIldare. Would they usually have a few water stops? Or even one since it is loops?
    One main one at start/ finish

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Pink11

This looks great but there isn't much info on the event itself online?

I'm probably looking at the wrong thing. Can someone link me?

Is this chip timed?

Prob better asking questions of their fb page..they dont hang in these parts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

For quick responses to queries and more info on each event, you would be best joining the East of Ireland Marathons Facebook group. They're pretty responsive through that and happy to answer any questions you might have. I've done a number of their events, including Lusk and would highly recommend.

Edit: I see UM got there before me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭frash

Are these events chipped?
    What's the turnout like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭ArtieFufkin

frash wrote: »
    Are these events chipped?
    What's the turnout like?
    No, they're not chipped. Turn out is usually small depending on the time of year and there are runners of all abilities from hobblers up to sub-3 hr.
    They're great value for money and timed well for those aiming to do well in bigger races.

Charge up the Garmin the night before so ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

signed up for staplestown end of this month. will be my first EOI marathon. looking forward to it. 25 euro cant go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Many doing Lusk next week? I'm doing the full as a training run. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭eve

Ososlo wrote: »
    Many doing Lusk next week? I'm doing the full as a training run. Looking forward to it.

About 250 over the 3 distances. I think I heard 85 entrants for the full.

I may be there on the day to take photographs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I'm doing the Lusk Half, looking forward to it. I'll let you know how I get on, but I think the field of runners is small so it's quite easy for the gun time to be king, as it would be for placings when it comes to club athletes anyway. (No need for chip time in a small race really, e.g. if everyone is crossing the line in a few secs. The only advantage for the chip is the speed of compiling race results and in sorting out the detail of finishing times without needing several eagle-eyes at the finish line with clipboards).

My only concern is that I'll end up running on my own in the middle of nowhere, (ok Drumanagh - almost nowhere), and someone will say "ah you should've turned left/right/centre back there 4 mile ago ... shure EVERYONE knows that! ..."

Looking forward to it.

Enjoyed today. Fast but hilly course.
    I was hoping for 1:45 but managed to knock out a 1:40.
    Got talking to a bloke from Cavan which helped me too.

Enjoyed the race too. Nice atmosphere and course.

Took a wrong turn 2 miles from the finish and it was 1/2 mile before i realised and turned back.:eek::eek: I think it was about 1:48.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭glacial_pace71

I enjoyed it. The course had a long, uphill drag of about 1 1/2 miles, which was tougher than you'd otherwise expect - the narrow winding roads make it difficult to judge the elevation ahead. On the bright side? The course included two 6 mile loops, so it was easier second time around to judge when you'd be turning into a long uphill climb and when you'd be doing a series of undulating miles.

Avert your eyes from the 1:48 finish time and have a look at the elevation etc: it's quite a nice course really:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1066483989

Friendly bunch of people too. The marathon runners had to do 4 loops though, so they mightn't be as enthused about it. Still though quite enjoyable.

It reminds me of a Kepak BHAA race of a few years ago, that would start finish on a busy-ish main road but would wind its way around narrow country lanes.

From the positive experience I'd definitely run another East of Ireland event.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

I did the full marathon on Saturday. I hadn't done an EoI event before. I found the organisation friendly and the marshalling very good and supportive. I really enjoyed the day.

Signed up for the half in Howth at the end of the month.
    Looking forward to another great day out.

Anyone running the half or full on Saturday ?
    Those hills will hurt...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Back in lusk on 8th October. 10k , half, 20 miler, Marathon. Literally a few places left. If anyone has any questions ill answer them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement