Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Story Rear Extension Costing

Options
  • 01-01-2016 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in design phase with an architect for a Single Story Rear Extension in West Dublin. The rear extension will be in 49m sq. in size (8.5m by 5.3) and an additional 16m sq of works to convert a garage which would involve a new foundation to future proof if we wanted to add 2nd story in future, new external wall, rise the floor level to bring it in line with the rest of the house. The garage roof will need to be raised as a result. Basically rebuild the garage.

The main body of the work revolves around the 49m sq. extension as it will span the entire rear of the house. Steel of 8.5m would be required to support the current structure. A glass wall of 8.5m (bifold, trifold or sliding doors - any recommendations or pricing info on these?) would also be required to cover 8.5m.

We are basing our estimates around 65m sq of new build required. Would anyone know what the current rate is per square metre to get the extension to a decent builders finish? No need to include the kitchen purchase cost, new flooring, tiles, doors etc.. The install of the kitchen (normally around €800-€1000), fitting of new floors, doors and tiles should be included.

Even a cost per metre range would do as we could work with that. We just want to make sure we aren't submitting a planning application for an extension we can't afford.

There are several other renovation jobs required in the current house but I am going to run these from a separate budget as they would be "nice to haves" that can be completed after the extension if our budget doesn't stretch that far.

Any questions shout. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

I was given a ballpark price of 56,750 (50k + VAT) for a 40m2 extension (Build New Extension with sloped roof and Velux windows, floor ceiling glass) which works out at 1418 per sq m

Dublin 9 based

You probably already have it factored into your cashflow but just in case make sure whoever you use if registered for the Home Renovation Incentive Scheme which allows a VAT clawback of up to €4,050 on the 13.5pc VAT rate applied to work costing between €5,000 and €30,000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

RoryW wrote: »
    I was given a ballpark price of 56,750 (50k + VAT) for a 40m2 extension (Build New Extension with sloped roof and Velux windows, floor ceiling glass) which works out at 1418 per sq m

Dublin 9 based

1,500/sq m is not a bad number to run with.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 marask

You probably already have it factored into your cashflow but just in case make sure whoever you use if registered for the Home Renovation Incentive Scheme which allows a VAT clawback of up to €4,050 on the 13.5pc VAT rate applied to work costing between €5,000 and €30,000
    I might be wrong but as far as I know the scheme is finished as of 31st of December '15..

Extended by last budget for another year
    marask wrote: »
    You probably already have it factored into your cashflow but just in case make sure whoever you use if registered for the Home Renovation Incentive Scheme which allows a VAT clawback of up to 4,050 on the 13.5pc VAT rate applied to work costing between 5,000 and 30,000
    I might be wrong but as far as I know the scheme is finished as of 31st of December '15..
    Add your reply here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

OnLooker wrote: »
    I'm currently in design phase with an architect for a Single Story Rear Extension in West Dublin. The rear extension will be in 49m sq. in size (8.5m by 5.3) and an additional 16m sq of works to convert a garage which would involve a new foundation to future proof if we wanted to add 2nd story in future, new external wall, rise the floor level to bring it in line with the rest of the house. The garage roof will need to be raised as a result. Basically rebuild the garage.

The main body of the work revolves around the 49m sq. extension as it will span the entire rear of the house. Steel of 8.5m would be required to support the current structure. A glass wall of 8.5m (bifold, trifold or sliding doors - any recommendations or pricing info on these?) would also be required to cover 8.5m.

We are basing our estimates around 65m sq of new build required. Would anyone know what the current rate is per square metre to get the extension to a decent builders finish? No need to include the kitchen purchase cost, new flooring, tiles, doors etc.. The install of the kitchen (normally around €800-€1000), fitting of new floors, doors and tiles should be included.

Even a cost per metre range would do as we could work with that. We just want to make sure we aren't submitting a planning application for an extension we can't afford.

There are several other renovation jobs required in the current house but I am going to run these from a separate budget as they would be "nice to haves" that can be completed after the extension if our budget doesn't stretch that far.

Any questions shout. Thanks
    The best way to price this Is with drawings, specification and bill of quantities. This type of glazing and steel are non-standard, doing work to plumbing/electrics etc connected to an existing house will add to an extensions cost. I would budget 1.5k - 2k/m2 plus a contingency of 10/20% for the unknown unknowns..

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭OnLooker

Nice one guys. I just wanted to confirm my assumption that we would be looking at around €1500 to possibly €2000 a sq metre. Savings can be made on the garage by using the existing foundation if we feel there is no need to future proof for a 2nd story.

We already have a high level design completed but the drawings need to go to a lower level now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not clear where ur boundary is re existing foundations:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/section/43/enacted/en/html

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Not clear where ur boundary is re existing foundations:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2009/act/27/section/43/enacted/en/html

There is already a structure there for the garage which is adjoined to the current house so there would be no need to lay new foundations or build a new supporting wall.

Just got our first quote in for €133k.

That includes the full design, planning permission, project management, certification etc...

The build is 76m2 as most builders have advised knocking the garage and relaying new foundations etc....

Any opinions?

• Advertisement

Just got our first quote in for €133k.

That includes the full design, planning permission, project management, certification etc...

The build is 76m2 as most builders have advised knocking the garage and relaying new foundations etc....

Any opinions?

Opinion on what in particular?

. Some times it's easier to knock and start again - consider engaging a QS to advise, weighting it up on a cost basis & conatructabilty risk basis

BryanF wrote: »
    Opinion on what in particular?

. Some times it's easier to knock and start again - consider engaging a QS to advise, weighting it up on a cost basis & conatructabilty risk basis

The opinions question was pointed at the €133k for 76.2 square meters.

Did you get three quotes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

hi, we've just finished the design phase for an extension to our bungalow... the new build area is 65m2 on the ground floor with a 22m2 area on top (dormer)... our architect reckons around the 120k mark for that although we havent gone to tender yet... this also includes merging two rooms in the existing house...

When people say 1500/2000 per square foot...is it an estimate for second floor area also?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

jobless wrote: »

When people say 1500/2000 per square foot...is it an estimate for second floor area also?

As a ball park price, yes. €1500 per square meter for the ground and first.

BryanF wrote: »
    Did you get three quotes?

Yeah we are in process of doing this.

kceire wrote: »
    As a ball park price, yes. €1500 per square meter for the ground and first.

Would you include the kitchen etc... in the €1500 per square meter or just to builders finish?

Would you include the kitchen etc... in the €1500 per square meter or just to builders finish?

Builders finish from my experience here in Dublin.
    Recent tender that I sent out came back at 94k. 2 storey side extension and contain existing roof over. Finished and painted but excluded floor finishes and kitchen. 64Sq. M extension in total.

kceire wrote: »
    Builders finish from my experience here in Dublin.
    Recent tender that I sent out came back at 94k. 2 storey side extension and contain existing roof over. Finished and painted but excluded floor finishes and kitchen. 64Sq. M extension in total.

And you had to add architect fees, project management fees, planning permission fees etc...

And you had to add architect fees, project management fees, planning permission fees etc...

The client would have to pay those on top, yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement