Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No P45 - Please help!!

Options
  • 01-01-2016 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, got abit of a situation.

Im starting a new job as an intern next week, and they requested a p45. I mentioned on my CV that I have worked before....which I have in the dates stated - but all of those previous jobs were paid cash in hand. Im 20, so the previously, they were all mickey mouse jobs like a cleaner, or a handy man....etc

This is my first serious job, in a big company.

What should I do now? Is it possible I can get in trouble for this?

If not, how do I apply for the right documents? This is all really new to me.

Cheers.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

You don't need a P45 as it's a new tax year now.

Contact the Revenue office for your area and they will tell you what you need to do, you probably need to fill in a form 12a

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Im starting a new job as an intern next week, and they requested a p45. I mentioned on my CV that I have worked before....which I have in the dates stated - but all of those previous jobs were paid cash in hand. Im 20, so the previously, they were all mickey mouse jobs like a cleaner, or a handy man....etc

Cheers.

Have a read of the below. Time to educate yourself.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/personal/faqs/starting-work-tax.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Cheers.

if you were paid ( illegally ) under the table in cash, then its the case that you have never been employed, so you are starting your first job

contact your relevant Revenue PAYE division , explain this is your first job , do not volunteer any information about any previous untaxed earnings :pac:

they will, based on your information, send you and your employer a statement of tax credits and tax table information , typically they will simply need your annual income

thats it , takes a few minutes over the phone , Ive found that Revenue does not generally require a form 12A

Note if you do not have a PPS number , you need to apply to The dept of social protection to get this first , Revenue can do nothing without a PPSN

get cracking as you will be penalised with emergency taxation otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks guys - and just to clear things up - I have a PPSN, just never been officially introduced to the taxation system.

Some of the jobs I got paid an agreed amount, some I done for free, simply for experience to have on my CV in the future, and to have a valid reference and knowledge.

Should I call into the work place first and announce this? Or should I call directly to the revenue office?

Thanks in advance,
    J.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

if you have a PPS number (and far as I remember everyone born in Ireland under the age of 25 now has this issued at birth) use this link to find out which Revenue office to contact for your area.

https://www.ros.ie/wiclo/index?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks guys - and just to clear things up - I have a PPSN, just never been officially introduced to the taxation system.

Some of the jobs I got paid an agreed amount, some I done for free, simply for experience to have on my CV in the future, and to have a valid reference and knowledge.

Should I call into the work place first and announce this? Or should I call directly to the revenue office?

Thanks in advance,
    J.

RIng revenue.

No need to tell your new employers that you have been working off the books in the past, it doesn't look great.

Advertisement