Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap butchers in Limerick

• 01-01-2016 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey all,

Was just wondering did anyone know of a cheap butchers in Limerick town.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭celligraphy

Best and cheapest I think is Mahons butchers across from st Mary's credit union and church

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Jack Spratts is also a good one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

This is probably not what you want to hear but I certainly wouldn't use price as a way to choose my butcher, cheap meat is often so for a reason, some butchers are not so selective of the cattle breed they use etc. Almost all butchers will offer a selection of very cheap cuts and most of the good ones in town will offer discounts for a selection of meats or will offer trays of steak/lamb etc at reduced prices.
    My butcher of choice in town is Pat O'Connor's on William street and they are extremely competitive in terms of price.

Can I ask if it is anything in particular you are looking for in terms of meat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭sioda

Seamus Butler for me good value and quality

• Registered Users Posts: 5 hipper

Mostly I buy beef steaks, pork chops and chicken breasts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 hipper

Thanks, and maybe someone knows where to get good fish?

hipper wrote: »
    Mostly I buy beef steaks, pork chops and chicken breasts

For steak I would go with Pat(Noel) O'Connor who I previously mentioned, his beef isn't normally cheap but it is really good and he always has trays of Sirloin at vastly reduced prices, he will also supply your other things at a good price, I find supermarket pork and chicken to be just as good as butcher product and often a good deal fresher, butchers can't be beat for beef or lamb but they only buy in the pork and chicken so it makes no difference.

Try the market on Saturday, Rene Cusacks would be the best of the fishmongers in town but they ain't cheap and they are not averse to selling fish a couple of days late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

I would imagine that Sea Breeze seafood at the top of William street must be in the mix? Not a fish person myself, but can't think of many others in town that specifically/only deals in seafood?

Theres a place called Sadliers in town (my usual jump out of car/taxi street) just around the corner from the chicken hut. Again, not sure of quality / price.

Do Rene Cuscacks on the dock road sell to the public? Are they even still operating?

And of course the market.

All I can think of, sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hooked wrote:
    Do Rene Cuscacks on the dock road sell to the public? Are they even still operating?

Yes they are open to the public and still operating. I like Rene cusacks for Mussels and they do a good deal for 4 salmon fillets for €12. My fish shop of choice though is Sadliers in town. The staff are so friendly and their fish is really fresh. We really are blessed with the quality of fishmongers in town.

For meat, you can't beat the Pork shop on Little Catherine Street. Though they are not great for deals. I go to Greaneys butchers in Ardagh to bulk buy all my meat. All meat is produced locally in West Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭monalitto

Ahearnes, 47 Roches Street. I find them very good - quality is good & they always have a list of deals on display. Also love O'Connell's Little Catherine St. lovely friendly staff in there - not cheap for some things, but worth it for their black & white puddings YUM! :D

Advertisement