Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

subjective more scientific than objective but most important= happness

Options
  • 01-01-2016 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

https://soundcloud.com/realcoaching/louis-delahaije-lottojumbo

some good stuff in this podcast and i think in a way a good refelction when people ask which garmin do i NEED which turbo do i NEED
    at the end it needs to make you happy but dont think just using the gadgets makes you faster they can even mame you slower . ( but of course they can be a very good 2nd opinion and my swim buddy swims a good bit faster when he has a 920 around his wrist )

anyway this podcast should make you think and those 3 guys certainly know what they are talking aobout.

and while we are on subjective feedback the other part in the podcast is we have to keep learning and improving and learning from others
    this something very interesting i got before x mas and is one of most helpful feed back i ever got .
    I dodnt agree with everything in it, but i found it very helpful. despite the fact that the most important phrase that stuck in my mind over x mas , is that every block before this one was ****e
    ( i dont think they were as ****e as he says and i dodnt think this block was as good as he thought , but truth is i was thinking about swim stuff when i was on vacation in september and the guy that gave this feedback was a responder ( naturally some where not ) but of course it did not come in 1 block.

Feedback.

I've been swimming with you since early 2013 missing maybe one block in that time and I have to say this most recent block has been the most useful by far.

You have brought us back to the fundamentals, deconstructed the stroke for us and then built it back up again. Every drill we do has an express purpose and every swim we do has a focus. In previous blocks I'd do a drill but only have a fairly vague idea as to why I was doing it, in that circumstance it is harder to be focused. Also I think before we would just do the drill now you are ensuring we are doing the drill correctly ( coach edit this is not right, yet also very important and obviously the key for many coaches to become better ) and then we transfer the technique to the pure swim sets. Please don't underestimate the power of you telling us time and again why you are telling us to do what we are to do.

The post session feedback has been great too and I appreciate that this takes time and energy too.

Of course for me it has helped that this new focus, from you and as a result from us, has coincided with increased swim volume from me. But when swimming on my own I can apply what we have been doing in the coached sessions. I don't tend to drill I just try and swim as coached. Obviously, and maybe in comparison to others, maintaining my swim fitness has given me the aerobic room to concentrate on the stroke. If I hadnt done this I might have struggled more as I would be dealing with more immediate issues than say my palm position. I play x-a-side football and while I am essentially crap at it I am so much better for still being able to think when the ball lands at my feet - in comparison my unfit friend is too busy dealing with oxygen deprivation at the same moment.

By the way I am doing the extra volume largely as a way of beating traffic, if I was just doing it for training purposes I wouldn't have made as many solo early morning sessions. I say this because I wouldnt want you to think I have somehow become much more dedicated, it just fits in with the rest of my life at the moment :). That said as I creep towards ( sorry i had to delete the age as it would give away the identiy to easily) I see a bigger future for me in swimming rather than running.

I'll try and do that 1k this weekend but its getting tricky with Xmas ( I have a pub crawl tonight!). I found a record of the last one, 18.12ish it says but I think it was in a 25m pool.

So thanks for the last 12 weeks I really appreciate the effort you put into it and it is good to see and hear that you enjoyed it too.

Merry Christmas and enjoy Portugal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

A very interesting podcast Peter. Thanks for posting. Cyclists using HR making more gains than those using Power for example. RPE and keeping it simple seems to work really well for the coaches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

pgibbo wrote: »
    A very interesting podcast Peter. Thanks for posting. Cyclists using HR making more gains than those using Power for example. RPE and keeping it simple seems to work really well for the coaches

yet we still discuss if we should use a turbo with power meter or a smart turbo ;-)
    at the same time I would agree more and more that power meter are very useful for beginners.

Advertisement