Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ha'penny Bridge 200 Years old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I proposed marriage to my first girlfriend on that bridge.

She laffed at me and told me I wasn't old enough.

She was eleven, and I was nine...

Many years later she married a Hungarian barman, and, as far as I know, lived unhappily ever after.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I witnessed the great Phil Lynott making a pop video on that bridge (early 80s)!

Can't remember the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

LordSutch wrote: »
    I witnessed the great Phil Lynott making a pop video on that bridge (early 80s)!

Can't remember the track.
    Old Town most probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I think we are about nine months early in congratulating the bridge!

If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was mid or second half of September.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

tabbey wrote: »

If my memory serves me correctly, I think it was mid or second half of September.

Yikes your two hundred years old.:eek: You must have seen a lot. Come tell us what was Dublin like during the 1916 rising and did you get to meet Bram Stoker.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

tabbey wrote: »

Mr Wiki says it opened in May 1816.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭BoltzmannBrain

A year of celebrations! Happy 200th Birthday Ha'Penny & Tabbey!:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Mr Wiki says it opened in May 1816.

May would appear to be correct. http://www.bridgesofdublin.ie/bridges/hapenny-bridge

• Registered Users Posts: 16,296 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hapenny-bridge-to-celebrate-200th-birthday-735977.html

Hopefully, the Corpo will keep removing those stupid love locks off the bridge.

Idiotic 'tradition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/hapenny-bridge-to-celebrate-200th-birthday-735977.html

Hopefully, the Corpo will keep removing those stupid love locks off the bridge.

Idiotic 'tradition'.

I quite agree with you.

The engineers at the seminar yesterday said they remove them with wire cutters, not from a tradition point of view, but because they damage the paintwork, leading to rust.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

two articles from Freeman's Journal on the Ha'penny bridge - the first from 28th September 1815 on the arrival of the major structural components of the bridge from Shropshire, and the second from 20th May 1816 on the opening of the bridge

386524.jpg
    386526.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm amused that even 200 years ago, Irish people complained when the State didn't use Irish-produced components.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

A reminder that the Ha'penny bridge wasn't always so well-liked. Photo below is from The New Dublin - A Study in Civics by C.S. Ashbee and G.H. Chettle which was one of the entries in the Dublin town planning competition of 1914.

391036.jpg

Full doc can be viewed here http://digital.ucd.ie/view/ucdlib:33062

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dog cakes eh? Times must have been lean :)

It can be easy to forget that nostalgia wasn't nearly such a big thing in the past. Modernism and futurism were much more the thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Wibbs wrote: »
    Dog cakes eh? Times must have been lean :)

It can be easy to forget that nostalgia wasn't nearly such a big thing in the past. Modernism and futurism were much more the thing.

Yes their idea of the future was America with their skyscrapers, automobiles & industrialization. Completely unlike mostly rural Ireland with the exception of Dublin. How the world has changed and indeed America's contemporary nostalgia is a longing for 50's and 60's which was also very unlike what early 20th century Ireland was like. 100 years ago given all the changes in lifestyle and taste seems almost unimaginable in the present day. I almost feel more connected to a more distant past than 100 years ago. Ireland is the late 18th century period saw the building of Georgian Dublin, Limerick & Derry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Palladian architecture was a mix of nostalgia for the classical world with some modernism, but the overwhelming ingredient was nostalgia alright. Some get het up over subsequent faux Georgian architecture, but it was kinda faux itself when new and in the case of some renditions like in Ireland it had a lot of front to it, a thin facade of the new style, often enough over existing dwellings(where a "Dutch Billy" house would get a makeover).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement