Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on buying to let 1 bed apartment in Tallaght

Options
  • 01-01-2016 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering buying a 1 bed apartment to let in Tallaght. I have a family home already but my salary should easily cover both mortgages.

I would be looking to buy for around 110k and to rent for 1100 per month. I would be getting the 35k deposit as a loan from a close friend. Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm considering buying a 1 bed apartment to let in Tallaght. I have a family home already but my salary should easily cover both mortgages.

I would be looking to buy for around 110k and to rent for 1100 per month. I would be getting the 35k deposit as a loan from a close friend. Thoughts?

Do a search on this forum to find the pitfalls of being a landlord and the tax burden. Buy to let is not the easy money people think it will be.

The bank probably wouldn't look kindly on the deposit being a loan.
    I also wouldn't borrow that much from a friend - when do they get their money back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

50% deposit required on BTLs AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Trip to the accountant is called for to figure out the tax treatment of the interest on the loan from your friend. This is pretty critical to whether it is worthwhile.

Your friend also needs to understand that he is lending a substantial sum of money to you with little or no collateral. You would need to be paying him well over 8 percent interest to make this worth his while.

I would not see 1100 a month from a one bed in Tallaght as long term sustainable but I do not know the market in the area that well.

I would not do this if I were you but it depends on your own view of how good an asset it is.

I do think it is a pity that the government has not provided a tax efficient way to invest in actually building of new residential property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

50% deposit required on BTLs AFAIK.

It's well publicised that it's 30%

• Advertisement

It's well publicised that it's 30%

Are you sure? On a one bed?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Are you sure? On a one bed?

50% does seem high to be honest. Although I know that some banks have views on one beds. KBC, for example, wont lend on one beds at all even to owner occupiers (when i checked with them in c. 2013)

50% does seem high to be honest. Although I know that some banks have views on one beds. KBC, for example, wont lend on one beds at all even to owner occupiers (when i checked with them in c. 2013)

The norm for some banks, for example ulster bank will only loan 50%. Granted they do 70% in Dublin, Galway and Limerick. I'd be surprised if the banks will be falling over themselves to offer the OP 70% on a one bed especially that far out but then, who knows, the madness seems to be returning.

TBH a megathread seems a good idea for these (weekly) requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

If you are earning a nice enough wage to cover 2 mortgages you're probably already in the high tax bracket. So all the income on your rental would most likely be at taxed at 41%.
    The banks won't let you use loan money to take out a mortgage. Your friend would have to sign a letter from a solicitor stating that they would not be seeking the money back. Even if you are going to pay the money back in full your friend may not like having an official letter stating that you do no need to pay the money back. But if they did agree to sign the letter and agree repayments behind the banks back as such you would need to pay CAT (33%) on the 'gift' of money from your friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Awful idea on many levels. Why is your friend loaning you the deposit? What security/interest rate/repayment plan are you offering them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

1100 per month seems awfully high for a one bedroom apartment. Especially if it's in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I would be getting the 35k deposit as a loan from a close friend.
    If you can't afford the deposit yourself, why do you think that you can afford the mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Bad idea on so many levels.

1) You can't come up with the deposit yourself. Borrowing it from a friend and then taking out a mortgage for the rest means you are borrowing 100% of the value of the property.
    2) €1,100 a month rent on a property worth €110,000 isn't sustainable.
    3) The current tax treatment of landlords won't allow this to be a profitable exercise. You'll have a loan, a mortgage, management fees, insurance, furnishings, upkeep, tax, PRSI & USC to pay. If you do up a realistic income v expenditure sheet you'll see the pitfalls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

As a tenant there is no way I'd be paying 1100 for a one bed in tallaght. Is that really the going rate?

As a tenant there is no way I'd be paying 1100 for a one bed in tallaght. Is that really the going rate?

No.

It might be what people are asking but I doubt they're getting it given what 2 beds are. There is a possibility that people are being forced to pay 1100 due to it being the first place they can afford, but a begrudging tenant and a clueless landlord do not a happy combination make!

OP what research have you done on this? Have you engaged an accountant to see if it's profitable? Have you approached a bank to see if they'll lend? You'll probably get a view from people as you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,472 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Thanks for the advice.

On the loan from the friend, they are happy to sign that they do not expect it back however I would aim to pay them back within around 5 years(I've done a similar arrangement before with them).

To the people saying I won't get 1100, what should I get do you think? Please show me letting ads for less than 1000 per month. To me it seems there is a shortage of 1 beds altogether.

wyndham wrote: »
    Awful idea on many levels. Why is your friend loaning you the deposit? What security/interest rate/repayment plan are you offering them?

Because they trust me, I have the ability to repay within five years and we've had a similar arrangement before.

the_syco wrote: »
    If you can't afford the deposit yourself, why do you think that you can afford the mortgage?

Because I can afford the repayments. I could save the deposit but it would just take more time.

No.

It might be what people are asking but I doubt they're getting it given what 2 beds are. There is a possibility that people are being forced to pay 1100 due to it being the first place they can afford, but a begrudging tenant and a clueless landlord do not a happy combination make!

OP what research have you done on this? Have you engaged an accountant to see if it's profitable? Have you approached a bank to see if they'll lend? You'll probably get a view from people as you do that.

I've spoken to a number of landlords, the friend loaning being one of them. Not spoken to a bank yet or an accountant but have worked out some figures myself.

I will speak to ulster bank, not sure if the mortgage calculator on their website accounts for tax relief on mortgages for BTL, anybody know?

• Advertisement

If you are earning a nice enough wage to cover 2 mortgages you're probably already in the high tax bracket. So all the income on your rental would most likely be at taxed at 41%.
    The banks won't let you use loan money to take out a mortgage. Your friend would have to sign a letter from a solicitor stating that they would not be seeking the money back. Even if you are going to pay the money back in full your friend may not like having an official letter stating that you do no need to pay the money back. But if they did agree to sign the letter and agree repayments behind the banks back as such you would need to pay CAT (33%) on the 'gift' of money from your friend

Thanks for that.

Without getting too specific, there shouldn't be an issue with CAT.

Thanks for the advice.

On the loan from the friend, they are happy to sign that they do not expect it back however I would aim to pay them back within around 5 years(I've done a similar arrangement before with them).

To the people saying I won't get 1100, what should I get do you think? Please show me letting ads for less than 1000 per month. To me it seems there is a shortage of 1 beds altogether.

I've an apartment smack bang in the CC. I get €1050 a month. I could have probably got more but you need to pick you tenants. There are a lot of myths about accommodation in Dublin. Lots of people at viewings does not equal lots of quality reliable tenants.

You may, if the apartment is a very nice one in a desirable part of tallaght get €1100 a month. The issue is this is a long term project, what has the market done there over the past 10-20 years? You need to look at that and see if it's sustainable over the mortgage term. What is your exit strategy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Thanks for that.

Without getting too specific, there shouldn't be an issue with CAT.

Without getting too specific, if this is based on an assumption that the fellas in Revenue won't hear about what's going on, you are on dodgy ground.

RainyDay wrote: »
    Without getting too specific, if this is based on an assumption that the fellas in Revenue won't hear about what's going on, you are on dodgy ground.

If a loan has no or a small rate of interest compared to a loan from a bank etc then the lack of interest is considered a gift for CAT purposes. However you have both a tax free threashold and more importantly in this instance you can receive a gift of 3k per year tax free from every individual. Without exact figure I can't make a calculation but I'd be very surprised if a loan of 35k would be over 3k per year in interest from a bank and therefore the gift of no interest can be covered by this 3k per year tax free gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

If a loan has no or a small rate of interest compared to a loan from a bank etc then the lack of interest is considered a gift for CAT purposes. However you have both a tax free threashold and more importantly in this instance you can receive a gift of 3k per year tax free from every individual. Without exact figure I can't make a calculation but I'd be very surprised if a loan of 35k would be over 3k per year in interest from a bank and therefore the gift of no interest can be covered by this 3k per year tax free gift.

The amount of interest concerned is actually the amount that the lender is foregoing.....in this case, €35,000 at say, 1%= €350.

Ush1 is correct....unlikely to be a CAT issue (based on the available information).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Except that in order to satisfy the bank the "lender" would likely have to sign a document stating they do not expect repayment. So as far as Revenue is concerned, this is an outright gift of €35k, not an interest free loan. So the OP will be taxed on the full €35k, less the tax free threshold, which is ridiculously low for loans from friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Just what I was going to say arbiter. He needs to say it's a gift to the bank so revenue will see it as a gift also. Completely a hypothetical calculation based on him receiving 35k from his friend, using his 3k annual gift allowance and having full use of his threshold C allowance he would be liable for 5,585 CAT and if you have no threshold C allowance remaining it would be 10,560 in my calculation. However OP I have made assumptions on the circumstance you have given above you would need to discuss your own personal circumstances in full detail with your accountant. The above is just to give you an idea of what you would be liable to pay to revenue on what would as far as I am aware would be classed as a gift in the eyes of revenue, because you and your friend will be signing papers which states that it is a gift!

And just to be 100% clear the above is not a CAT calculation you can use for your return it is an outline of what you would be liable for. Again you would need to sit down with your own accountant in order to complete a proper calculation

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OP, you've got to think long term. In 10 years time, to you still think you can command €1100 for a one bed apartment?

I'm not saying don't buy, just go in with both eyes open.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

The 'deposit from a friend' thing sounds like a potential disaster for me. Why mix friendships and money? If the investment goes bad, do you value your friendship, and will it withstand? Are you confident about the source of the funds, or is there a possibility that you are actually getting involved in criminal money laundering without your knowledge. And that's apart from CAT issues noted above.

It is hard to comment on whether this is a sensible investment for you without knowing your overall financial position. I see that you still have a mortgage in place on your home. Would you not be better off to clear this mortgage first before you go risking spare cash on investments?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

If you had a similar arrangement in the past with your friend was that also to buy a property? How did that work out?
    Perhaps you have more experience at this than the first post might indicate?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement