Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 2016 In Between Grand Slam Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Sickening
    Truly sickening
    Have to deal with this guy for another 5 years it seems
    Roll on grass court season , cos clay is over

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

The moment Zverev choked away that match in Indian Wells I had a feeling it was something of a turning point for Nadal. Djokovic is still the favourite for RG but Nadal would be a close second. Here's to hoping Wawrinka can step up again :cool:

The moment Zverev choked away that match in Indian Wells I had a feeling it was something of a turning point for Nadal. Nadal is the clear favourite for RG but Djokovic would be a distant distant distant second. Here's to hoping Wawrinka can step up again :cool:

FYP

It passed me by over the weekend, but Laura Robson actually won a match! In Stuttgart qualifying against Koukalova. Obviously not a huge win, but considering she recently lost a match to an unranked 16 year old, everything helps!

Stuttgart up next for the WTA, which is always a fun tournament. Kerber would be a safe bet to defend her title, but I really hope Muguruza does something this week, her 2016 has been bleak thus far.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

It passed me by over the weekend, but Laura Robson actually won a match! In Stuttgart qualifying against Koukalova. Obviously not a huge win, but considering she recently lost a match to an unranked 16 year old, everything helps!

Did she lose today though? Getting through 2 matches without re-injuring herslef should be considered a win though. Herself and Delpo should get together and form a support group.

• Advertisement

She lost to Oceane Dodin 62 62. Progressing at a slow and steady rate. Emphasis probably more so on the slow side :) It's actually almost a year since she made her comeback. She's playing Rabat next, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,729 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nadal's match wining shot yesterday is worth a watch. One of the greatest shots ever to win a title. Unreal.

^ Yeah, saw it myself. A terrific shot, especially from so far behind the baseline. Can't believe this was his first Masters win in almost two years.

Honestly though, I think I'll cry if he wins RG again :o

^ Yeah, saw it myself. A terrific shot, especially from so far behind the baseline. Can't believe this was his first Masters win in almost two years.

With despair ?
    or happiness ?

either way its happening ...

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭lostcat

very surprised that Nadal won this, I had him down as a lost cause......

I still don't think he played all that well, to be honest, from what I saw (about half of the match) but he has that unbelievable will to win....

Still, I think Djokovic will beat him in any round of the FO apart from the final....bets are off if he gets there.

• Advertisement

lostcat wrote: »
    very surprised that Nadal won this, I had him down as a lost cause......

I still don't think he played all that well, to be honest, from what I saw (about half of the match) but he has that unbelievable will to win....

Still, I think Djokovic will beat him in any round of the FO apart from the final....bets are off if he gets there.

I didn't see any of his matches, but from what I heard apparently Wawrinka was terrible, and with Andy I believe he's usually beaten before he even steps on the court against Nadal.

Caroline Wozniacki is out of Stuttart, Madrid and Rome with a foot injury. Defending quite a few points too, so she may not even be seeded for RG, even if she decided to play which I doubt she will. Basically she'll probably need to focus on the American hard-court swing if she wants to try and salvage something from 2016.

Stuttgart going to plan thus far, Lisicki out in the first round to a player that's lost her last seven consecutive clay court matches :cool:

After a bit of a post-Melbourne lull, it's fantastic to see Kerber in full flight again. If she can carry this form throughout the clay season I'd put her as a favourite for RG, along with Azarenka and Serena.

Unsurprised to see Nadal victorious in Barcelona, I've a feeling we're on course for another 'amazing career comeback' at RG next month :rolleyes: Inb4 cowboyBuilder.

Laura Robson, meanwhile, will play Rabat this week. She opens against unranked 18-year-old Ghita Benhadi. Surely she'll win this one?

Sure it's depressing , but true
    Nadal has had about 5 comebacks in his career , everyone was signing him off - even the pundits but I knew.
    I expect him to win the 3 remaining major clay court events this season - easily - and at a minimum- he tends to do well in the USA hard court season too in comeback years ..

Interesting to note that in the last few days quite a few Russian athletes have had their bans overturned.

Did Sharapova ever actually get an official ban? I don't remember reading about one.

Interesting to note that in the last few days quite a few Russian athletes have had their bans overturned.

Did Sharapova ever actually get an official ban? I don't remember reading about one.

That's interesting, didn't know this. She hasn't got an official ban, it's still a provisional suspension. For the game to have any kind of credibility they'll need to ban her for at least six months, which is what I think she'll get. A year tops. Apparently a decision could be made before Wimbledon.

I am deligted to see Nadal take a stand and sue that vile woman who made such disgusting remarks concerning his 2012 hiatus from the game. I hope she is made pay for this.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/25/rafael-nadal-sue-french-cabinet-minister-doping-allegations.

walshb wrote: »
    I am deligted to see Nadal take a stand and sue that vile woman who made such disgusting remarks concerning his 2012 hiatus from the game. I hope she is made pay for this.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/apr/25/rafael-nadal-sue-french-cabinet-minister-doping-allegations.

I wonder , how he came back so strong, also the guy is built like a bull , something not right there.

I wonder , how he came back so strong, also the guy is built like a bull , something not right there.

Here we go again. Built like a bull? What are you seeing? He didn't come back so strong. He has/was always been a brilliant player and talent. He had a very good 2013. So what. He has had other very good years as well, just like Nole and Fed and some others.

Here we go again. Built like a bull? What are you seeing? He didn't come back so strong. He has/was always been a brilliant player and talent. He had a very good 2013. So what. He has had other very good years as well, just like Nole and Fed and some others.

Correct.

I'll do my very best to stay away until grasscourt season ...

:rolleyes: isn't that funny ?.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Glad I don't have a racket deal, or else I'd probably be doing this every match.....Dimitrov concedes....

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Its almost predictable at this stage but Federer withdraws from Madrid with a recurrence of the back injury.

Ah this thread has been way too quiet recently. It was great to see the lovely Lucie Safarova going from winless in 2016 to winning a title in Prague. Hopefully it continues, the prospect of her defending finalist points at RG isn't looking quite as bleak now. As for Dimitrov in Istanbul, oh my. He reminds me a little of Caroline Garcia; talented, but ultimately going nowhere.

Good to see Kyrgios playing well on clay too, SF last week and QF this week. Disappointed we still haven't got to see him play Djokovic. Also, he hit this incredible tweener lob against Nishikori today:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZOPhaQRvmQ&feature=youtu.be

Murray's title defense in Madrid going well, but will surely end against Nadal. On the WTA side, after initial anarchy there's a somewhat decent final in the form of Cibulkova-Halep. Cibulkova has in the process bagged herself an all-important seed for RG. Great to see Sorana Cirstea slowly but surely inching her way back to form also, she's back inside the top 100 now.

In the final set in Madrid!

Murray his usual consistent self. Capitulating in the final set!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Emz93

Is anyone gonna stop Djokovic this year? Can see him winning the calender slam easily :(

Bit of an up and down mens final, the bottom line is when Djokovic is 'on', no one is nearly as good.

He had a couple of dips today again, its a bit strange that he still suffers from such nerves, maybe it would be more strange if he didn't I guess...

I'd say he would like murray to get back the number 2 ranking before the FO, as he wont want to play him before the final (murray played his part in last years final loss by forcing their semi to a 2nd day)

I think this tournament also puts nadals recent form in context, he is currently good enough to beat most of what, lets face it, isn't a stellar field, but that's where it ends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Watched the final yesterday and I thought Murray was in for a 2 set hiding after the first set. He did well to come back and force it into a third set but I always felt that Djokovic would win. I think Djokovic is virtually unbeatable in these best of 3 sets matches. It will be interesting to see how they go over the 5 set matches. I think Djokovic can be vulnerable in the longer matches.

How has Federer overtaken Murray for the number 2 spot? He has hardly played since loosing in the Australian Open Semi Final to Djokovic. Ok Murray was knocked out in the 3rd rounds in both Indian Wells and Miami but Federer didn't play either of those.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Floppybits wrote: »
    How has Federer overtaken Murray for the number 2 spot?
    Murray won Madrid last year so lost half those points.

Murray won Madrid last year so lost half those points.

They have exactly the same amount of points now ..

Roger Federer
    7,525 16

Andy Murray
    7,525 18

could be cos Murray played more tournaments..

• Advertisement

Emz93 wrote: »
    Is anyone gonna stop Djokovic this year? Can see him winning the calender slam easily :(

He won't win the FO.

Not being my usual self here about Nadal,but the French Open is in Djokovics head .. I can see someone like Thiem beating him.

Also these 5 set matches are very different - Djokovic was lucky yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

He won't win the FO.

Not being my usual self here about Nadal,but the French Open is in Djokovics head .. I can see someone like Thiem beating him.

5 sets only favours him more.
    No, it took a Godlike performance from Stan to stop him winning it last year, along with the Calendar Slam. Chances of that repeating are slim. He'll win it - there's no safer bet in sport right now.

Mousewar wrote: »
    No, it took a Godlike performance from Stan to stop him winning it last year, along with the Calendar Slam. Chances of that repeating are slim. He'll win it - there's no safer bet in sport right now.

That was some performance allright from Stan.

Painting the lines he was..

He won't win the FO.

I have to agree with Cowboybuilder, Djokovic can be beaten in the 5 setters. As much as he has come on he still has that little flaw in there that comes out every now and again when he is in trouble that can cost him matches. As I said earlier he is virtually unbeatable in the 3 setters.

In saying that I think he will win the French Open.

I have to agree with Cowboybuilder, Djokovic can be beaten in the 5 setters. As much as he has come on he still has that little flaw in there that comes out every now and again when he is in trouble that can cost him matches. As I said earlier he is virtually unbeatable in the 3 setters.

In saying that I think he will win the French Open.

I Hope he does.
    I know people don't like too much domination, but he has never won it , be nice for the record books.

Emz93 wrote: »

Murray had that title to win. He just blew up on certain points. It's a menatl thing with many of these players. They have the game to beat Nole. Murray UE count was quite a bit more than Nole's.

• Advertisement

Murray had that title to win. He just blew up on certain points. It's a menatl thing with many of these players. They have the game to beat Nole. Murray UE count was quite a bit more than Nole's.

Yeah but it's like saying for Player X that the reason he's not beating Djokovic is that it's a stamina thing. Or for Player Y that it's a serve thing. Or for Player Z that it's a forehand thing. The mental side of tennis is a huge part of the game and can't, imo, be separated from the other elements.

Murray, and the other players, are not as strong mentally as Djokovic and unless the other elements of their game compensate for that deficiency (which they currently do not) they will continue to lose to him. Or, of course, if they improve their mental strength but that will be just as difficult as improving their forehand, serve, stamina, etc.

Stan, last year, showed how the other elements (in his case, a fantastic backhand and overall shot making) could bridge the gap but it's hard to maintain.

Murray and Mauresmo have ended their coaching relationship. Murray needs to bring in someone that will get him up to level Lendl had him at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭CassieManson

They have exactly the same amount of points now ..

Yes it's because Federer played fewer tournaments to get the same points.

The situation may be reversed this week as Federer has more points to defend than Murray from Rome 2015

He should bring back Lendl, why he ever parted with him in the 1st place is baffling ..

He should bring back Lendl, why he ever parted with him in the 1st place is baffling ..

It was because Lendl wouldn't commit to working full time. He only showed up for big tournaments and even then it wasn't until they started that he'd fly in.

• Advertisement

It was because Lendl wouldn't commit to working full time. He only showed up for big tournaments and even then it wasn't until they started that he'd fly in.

I think Andy back in 2012 and 2013 was probabaly just a step sharper. Nothing to do with Lendl. Either that or maybe Nole and some others were a step slower. Sometimes coaches get too much credit. They're not the ones on the court.

I think Andy back in 2012 and 2013 was probabaly just a step sharper. Nothing to do with Lendl. Either that or maybe Nole and some others were a step slower. Sometimes coaches get too much credit. They're not the ones on the court.

I kinda of agree. Is it a failure of his coach if Murray can't beat Djokovic? No one else can beat him either.
    And if a new coach did help him beat him, is that an indictment of Becker then? Djokovic is just better than Murray.

I kinda of agree. Is it a failure of his coach if Murray can't beat Djokovic? No one else can beat him either.
    And if a new coach did help him beat him, is that an indictment of Becker then? Djokovic is just better than Murray.

Djokovic is better than murray, yes. Snd you could argue that murrays wimbledon was as much down to del potro as murray.

However, murray was doing far less of the mouthing at the box and the grasping of the hamstring when lendl was there...

That said, his serve seemed better in Madrid, so he has gone about improving the most obvious weak point of his game in the past couple of months, which is decent progress.

On Djokovic, whatever chance anyone has of beating him in best of 3, I think he usually has more time to refocus from a dip in a best of five. can anyone take three sets off him at the moment? very difficult to see it.

lostcat wrote: »
    Djokovic is better than murray, yes. Snd you could argue that murrays wimbledon was as much down to del potro as murray.

However, murray was doing far less of the mouthing at the box and the grasping of the hamstring when lendl was there...

That said, his serve seemed better in Madrid, so he has gone about improving the most obvious weak point of his game in the past couple of months, which is decent progress.

On Djokovic, whatever chance anyone has of beating him in best of 3, I think he usually has more time to refocus from a dip in a best of five. can anyone take three sets off him at the moment? very difficult to see it.

Yes I agree, Djokovic has a long history of poor recovery rates after previous five-set matches.

What has happened to Dimitrov? He has fallen off a cliff in terms of form. Lost last night to zverve 6-1, 6-4.

This was a guy that was suppose to be challenging the top 4 guys for titles.

What has happened to Dimitrov? He has fallen off a cliff in terms of form. Lost last night to zverve 6-1, 6-4.

This was a guy that was suppose to be challenging the top 4 guys for titles.

All style no substance perhaps?

All style no substance perhaps?

Yep. People were bigging him up for no apparent reason. Lots of young guys break into the tour with some decent performances and then never push on to the next levels needed.

Yep. People were bigging him up for no apparent reason. Lots of young guys break into the tour with some decent performances and then never push on to the next levels needed.

Remember this nonsense?
    https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/tramlines/predicted-men-top-10-players-2018-124841569.html

WOW! :D Cringeworthy.

Well actually there's still two years, it could still come true :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭josip

Made 3 years ago.
    Jocko could pick up a career limiting injury in the next 12 months.
    Barring injury, I can't see Murray slipping outside the top 3 in that time.
    Raonic has been in the top 10 for a while and Tomic was ranked in the 40s back in 2013, his trajectory is still good.
    Not too embarassing for a finger in the wind 5 year prediction :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement