Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rabbit losing hair on its back

• 01-01-2016 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

We've got ourselves a dwarf rabbit 10 days ago.
    It's been in the same cage with a Guinea pig ever since and I haven't noticed any fighting.
    I just noticed that the rabbit started losing hair on its back.
    I quickly separated them in case it has something to do with the Guinea pig or its food / salt. The rabbit was eating the Guinea pig's food and also licking its salt a lot.

Can someone tell from these pictures if this could purely mechanical hair loss (leaning against the corner of the cage or something) or it's something else?
    Maybe caused by licking the salt?
    The skin looks clean and healthy to my untrained eyes.
    I'm hoping it'll grow back now that the rabbit has its own cage and will eat rabbit food / no salt.

Can you please check the attached pictures and tell me your thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Rabbits and guinea pigs are not suitable companions for each other. They have different diets and cannot really communicate with each other. A kick from a rabbit can easily injure a guinea pig or break bones. It only takes one kick.

To answer your question though, some guinea pigs will barber their cage mates. It could be that or it could be ringworm, mange, some other mite or fungal infection. If it were mine I'd pay a visit to the vet just to be on the safe side. Where did you get the rabbit? Did it come from a reputable source?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Rabbits and guinea pigs are not suitable companions for each other. They have different diets and cannot really communicate with each other. A kick from a rabbit can easily injure a guinea pig or break bones. It only takes one kick.

To answer your question though, some guinea pigs will barber their cage mates. It could be that or it could be ringworm, mange, some other mite or fungal infection. If it were mine I'd pay a visit to the vet just to be on the safe side. Where did you get the rabbit? Did it come from a reputable source?

Thank you for your reply.
    It's from a pet store.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

xboxdad wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply.
    It's from a pet store.

Yes, in that case it'a quite possible the rabbit caught something before you got it. I would always quarantine any smallies for about four weeks when you get them. I think a trip to the vet is in order. Keep a close eye on the pig as well and keep them separate.

Advertisement