Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contact management company or letting agent?

Options
  • 02-01-2016 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I live in an estate with a management company and a few of our street lamps are off/broken at the moment which means the estate is really dark.

I assume since it's a private estate the council have no involvement, is it the management company or our letting agent that I should get in touch with? I have it in my head that only property owners should be getting in contact with the management company and that they don't deal with tenants but I'm not sure if I've just made this up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

A tenant has no contract with the management company so it is the landlord who should contact them as he is a member of the company.

However, I would suggest that the management company probably does not have the finances to maintain the complex as it would like. On my own estate, they have to get an electrician and a cherry picker to get to the lamps and repair them so the managing agents wait until several lamps need fixing at the same time.

If all the owners paid their management service charges in full and on time, life would be so much easier and the burden for repairs would not fall on those who do pay - and they have to pay more annually, to cover the short fall for those who do not pay.

If your landlord has not paid his management fees then firstly he won't want to talk to the management company/ managing agents and in any case they wouldn't really listen to him.

Again, on my own estate (over 200 properties) the managing agents come every day of the week and know all the tenants and owners. If it is a management company responsibility problem, they have to get the go ahead from the company treasurer for the finance to do the repairs. If it is an issue within a property and therefore a landlord problem, usually the landlord will contact them to do the repairs on their behalf and the landlord pays them.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

I live in an estate with a management company and a few of our street lamps are off/broken at the moment which means the estate is really dark.

I assume since it's a private estate the council have no involvement, is it the management company or our letting agent that I should get in touch with? I have it in my head that only property owners should be getting in contact with the management company and that they don't deal with tenants but I'm not sure if I've just made this up. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

It depends on the set-up. When you say "estate" do you mean houses with a management company to just look after the green spaces? Or is it an apartment development with a management company & management agent?

Your answer to this will give a better idea of how to answer your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭muggles

Take the numbers of the street lamps that are not working and ring Airtricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭thisistough

April 73 wrote: »
    It depends on the set-up. When you say "estate" do you mean houses with a management company to just look after the green spaces? Or is it an apartment development with a management company & management agent?

Your answer to this will give a better idea of how to answer your question.

It's an estate of houses as opposed to apartments, all seperately owned. Our letting agent is just kind of who we would communicate with our landlord through, so I guess its really should I contact the management company or the LL. Sorry for confusion!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

It's an estate of houses as opposed to apartments, all seperately owned. Our letting agent is just kind of who we would communicate with our landlord through, so I guess its really should I contact the management company or the LL. Sorry for confusion!

Have a chat with some of your neighbours, if they are owner occupiers they may know what is going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Ask your LL has the estate been taken in charge?
    If it has then contact the local authority & give them the numbers on the poles which are out & ask for them to be fixed. Some local authorities allow this to be done online. You can do this yourself directly.

If the estate has not been taken in charge then the developer needs to fix the lights. The management company is the best resource to get this done & either you or the LL could contact them & request them to get on to the developer.

Advertisement