Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

• 02-01-2016 2:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Old thread located here and mod notified asking for its closure.

Opening fixtures:
    Friday, March 04, 2016
    7:45 p.m. Cork City v Bohemians Turners Cross
    7:45 p.m. St. Patrick's Ath v xxGalway United FC Richmond Park
    8 p.m. Finn Harps v Derry City Finn Park
    8 p.m. Wexford Youths v Longford Town Ferrycarrig Park

Saturday, March 05, 2016
    7:30 p.m. Bray Wanderers v Dundalk Carlisle Grounds
    7:45 p.m. Sligo Rovers v Shamrock Rovers The Showgrounds

9 weeks lads

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

We have a decent squad this year would like to see Tracey actually fit before I judge him as another Mikey Keane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

We've only signed 6 so far and we're back training on the 18th. Probably going to have a lot of trialists over.

We could finish 12th or we could win the league. Who the feck knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Paul 'Spot' Murphy signing for Wexford Youths. Hugely talented player but will need to show the fitness and discipline needed for this level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Saw this on foot.ie and reckoned a few of yez would be interested in making suggestions:
    http://foot.ie/threads/207631-Cult-heroes

Has anyone here read Just Follow The Floodlights? If so, how was it?

Is that the same Paul Muprhy, formerly of Wanderers, Pats and Altrincham? Think he might have already played for Youths, if it's the same one. He's been knocking around for years now.

Saw this on foot.ie and reckoned a few of yez would be interested in making suggestions:

Is that the same Paul Muprhy, formerly of Wanderers, Pats and Altrincham? Think he might have already played for Youths, if it's the same one. He's been knocking around for years now.

I've read the book, well worth a read. Gives an insight in to the history of LOI clubs, past & present

This is a different Paul Murphy to the one who last played for us during our 2008 league cup run. This lad is a former ROI schoolboy international and spent some time at Ipswich

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Read most of Just Follow The Floodnights, decent enough read.

I don't have a Foot.ie account, but you might post a reply mentioning that Sean Fitzpatrick actually wrote a Shels Cult Heroes book "Shelbourne Cult Heroes: From Bulawayo to Ballybough" which was the first one, then there was an extended edition just called "Shelbourne Cult Heroes". Both are great reads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Youths women posted a 17 (seventeen) - 1 win over Castlebar Celtic earlier tonight. The difference between the top and bottom of that league is staggering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

The difference between the top and bottom of that league is staggering.

It doesn't account for the sheer amount of goals, but Castlebar arrived in Wexford with 10 eligible players.

Sign of a club with huge problems. They've struggled along since they entered, but maybe it's time for them to take a step back now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

It doesn't account for the sheer amount of goals, but Castlebar arrived in Wexford with 10 eligible players.

Sign of a club with huge problems. They've struggled along since they entered, but maybe it's time for them to take a step back now.

Castlebar have never finished bottom and almost always finished mid table. I think they finished 4th twice. They were a tough challenge more often than not so it's sad to see them get absolutely steamrolled. They've lost Sarah Rowe to one of the Dublin clubs and Emma Hansberry to the Youths. I'll be surprised if Castlebar enter next year. That's good news for Galway as we might get a few of those players.

Perhaps a Sligo based team would be better? They can aim for the I.T. and they could see what players Donegal clubs might have to offer too.

The goal difference column in this league is truly ridiculous. A good defender in women's football can be hard to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Doesn't seem that long ago that they were in a Cup final either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

BOHtox, the President's Cup is on the weekend beforehand if you want to edit that into the original post.

Saturday 27 February
    2pm Cork City v Dundalk, Turners Cross

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Ryan Manning to Sligo according to some lad on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/RobBrennan82/status/684410276133879809

Edit: Not happening.

INB4 lads giving out about Tommy not blowing his budget in a tug of war with Sligo.

I'm really interested to see how he has developed, having been training properly full-time for a while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Would be a decent pick-up for any LOI side imo.Bags of experience.
    https://twitter.com/ericwhite80/status/684868984609587200

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Would be a decent pick-up for any LOI side imo.Bags of experience.
    https://twitter.com/ericwhite80/status/684868984609587200
    Going to Harps, according to rumour. I'm saying rumour because I have no inside knowledge, but it would make since given their emphasis on player development and the fact he'd know the Donegal area well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Going to Harps, according to rumour. I'm saying rumour because I have no inside knowledge, but it would make since given their emphasis on player development and the fact he'd know the Donegal area well.

Although i said nothing about a move to Harps in my op i believe that's where he's heading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭overshoot

Iv heard it mentioned alright altho again nothing concrete. We do have a vacancy at no2 as James Gallagher couldn't commit.
    Sean Houston apparently signed for us too, although it was back when McNulty re-signed so surprised it hasn't been announced yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Called Dykes becoming our assistant last week. Couldn't really think of anyone else within our catchment area except for Joe and Declan Boyle, who I didnt think would leave their respective posts with the Harps underage setup.

So we've lost Dykes and Ciaran Kelly recently, opening up more vacancies on the management team.
    We have 7 players, no friendlies arranged and we are 10 days away from the start of pre-season training. Starting to worry about our situation now.

What's Ruairi Keating like? He supposedly signing for GUFC according to our forum.

I see Tommy Dunne is travelling to the FIFPro tournament in Norway. He's the first ever LOI manager to make the trip apparently. It'll be interesting to see what he comes back with. FIFPro are footing the bill for his travel and any trial arranged with players at the tournament so I'm surprised managers haven't gone before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

What's Ruairi Keating like? He supposedly signing for GUFC according to our forum.

I see Tommy Dunne is travelling to the FIFPro tournament in Norway. He's the first ever LOI manager to make the trip apparently. It'll be interesting to see what he comes back with. FIFPro are footing the bill for his travel and any trial arranged with players at the tournament so I'm surprised managers haven't gone before.

Very surprising no LOI manager has ever gone to this, particularly when it's paid for. Hard to imagine he won't spot a few decent Scandinavian players or at least pick up a few leads and make a few contacts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Interesting.

The best person to ask is probably a Finn Harps fan. He's been there on loan twice and it seems Keating hasn't received much playing time at Sligo bar sub appearances. I believe Harps fans rate him highly. I do remember him scoring against us in Terryland.

Oat23 wrote: »
    So we've lost Dykes and Ciaran Kelly recently, opening up more vacancies on the management team.
    We have 7 players, no friendlies arranged and we are 10 days away from the start of pre-season training. Starting to worry about our situation now.

Doesn't bother me in the slightest. We were never going to be in for the top end players, so would rather we are where we are now than looking at 20 bags of **** like we were last season.
    It looks like Robertson will be doing a good bit of business from England. It's not ideal but the alternative is signing reserve players from other clubs and the usual merry go round men.
    There were people calling for Dykes' head mid season and questioning Kellys role at the club. Now they're gone people are lamenting them. We'd a rotten season last year and a full clear out was needed. Personally, I don't think dykes or Kelly were to blame for what happened but big changes were needed at the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Keatings a very good first division striker - I reckon we may have held onto our lead at the top if we kept him as the goals sort of dried up for a few weeks after he left. Sickened to hear hes going to GUFC - had minute hopes of Harps signing him. I think if he gets the right amount of gametime he will be a top LOI striker. He's quick, strong, good in the air and a great finisher. Only thing may hold him back is he seems to have a wee bit of a mental issue regarding injuries

More of less agree with the above, may not make it into double figures at premier level this year but with a bit more experience he will. In saying that im not sure he will be a Jason Byrne but still more than capable of being a top LOI striker. 12 goals a year is rare enough atm and he has a great workrate, would have taken him back this year.

i take it this is a loan though? I thought he was one of the few players Sligo had signed. Alan Keane released too so I would imagine Galway as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

overshoot wrote: »
    Alan Keane released too so I would imagine Galway as well?

Not required

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Not required
    Agreed. It would be strange for us to sign Keane when we have Colm Horgan, who is a far better player.

Keane is past it. Let Sligo keep him.

overshoot wrote: »
    i take it this is a loan though? I thought he was one of the few players Sligo had signed. Alan Keane released too so I would imagine Galway as well?

I don't think Keating has signed for Sligo? I can't see us signing Keane.

I don't think Keating has signed for Sligo? I can't see us signing Keane.
    had a quick google and cant find anything. must be confusing him with Donelan who was also on loan with us and has signed. Just had in my head he wasnt an option. He is a Mayo lad so Galway is a handy option for him.

• Advertisement

Jimmy Keohane joins Sligo. Lovely player, who I would expect to stand out this year

Jimmy Keohane joins Sligo. Lovely player, who I would expect to stand out this year

Hopefully he's good! Woking (Conference) fans seem happy enough he's gone from there though.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Hopefully he's good! Woking (Conference) fans seem happy enough he's gone from there though.

Never really got in to a rhythm of regular football when he joined Exeter from Wexford Youths. Not long at Woking. I'd rate him from our time with us as a young man.

Never really got in to a rhythm of regular football when he joined Exeter from Wexford Youths. Not long at Woking. I'd rate him from our time with us as a young man.

He never grabbed his chance. He tends to have good performances and drift out of other games. He's with us now and hopefully he can grab his chance by the nuts

Anyone else find it strange how Darragh Markey getting a trial with Celtic came about on twitter today, hope the chap does well exceptional talent.

Believe a deal was offered from another club and pats being cnuts about the pittance offered. He on a 2 year deal with one left.

From my point of view Pats have invested heavily in stealing young talent from junior sides and giving them u17/u19 1st team football and college scholarships. Mahon started and imo its the way forward for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭kksaints

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Anyone else find it strange how Darragh Markey getting a trial with Celtic came about on twitter today, hope the chap does well exceptional talent.

Believe a deal was offered from another club and pats being cnuts about the pittance offered. He on a 2 year deal with one left.

From my point of view Pats have invested heavily in stealing young talent from junior sides and giving them u17/u19 1st team football and college scholarships. Mahon started and imo its the way forward for us.

Have never seen him play but isnt he very small? Would you not worry about the physical side of the game for him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

kksaints wrote: »
    Have never seen him play but isnt he very small? Would you not worry about the physical side of the game for him?

You ever see Wes Hoolahan in real life?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Markey is a cracking player from what iv seen. Technically very good not a typical irish player but he is very small. Think with full time coaching in Scotland and developing physically he could do very well. Why he wasnt part of Ireland's U19 side im not sure

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Richie Towell played the full 90 in Brightons 1-0 F.A. Cup defeat at Hull City today. Hopefully he can help turn around their recent decline in fortunes.

He is very small but technically very good only 1 start for us, but seen him for the 19s and had high hopes for him this season.

4 ex saints started today in FA Cup (Forrester, Stevens, Quinn,Carroll) Towell started for Brighton, they havent won in 7 games now.

Anyone actually see the Brighton game? How did he do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Anyone actually see the Brighton game? How did he do?
    It wasn't broadcast anywhere so unless someone was there I doubt it. From the highlights he looked like he was on the periphery for the most part. The BBC commentary seemed to say he did some nice things and he was played wide right for a lot of it which isn't his best position obviously.

Markey scored in Celtic youth match.

Liam Martin going back to sligo. had been hoping we could have got him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Stephen Dooley signs for Cork City after playing with Derry last year. Know nothing about him and its a pretty uninspiring signing again from JC, any Derry fans want to fill us in on what he's like?

CHealy wrote: »
    Stephen Dooley signs for Cork City after playing with Derry last year. Know nothing about him and its a pretty uninspiring signing again from JC, any Derry fans want to fill us in on what he's like?
    Not a Derry fan but have seen Dooley play a few times. Good signing, Direct and pacey winger who can play both sides and is a goal threat.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Dooley is a big loss for us. Wadacrack has summed him up well there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Dooley is a good player and the type of player they need after losing Dennehy and Gaynor. I wouldn't be surprised if he did really well at Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Cheers lads. Top quality #bantz from Caulfield if Dooley is the big signing from the UK he was on about.

Wexford Youth have signed Paul Murphy from North End United. Used to play with Ipswich.

9th player signed up for 2016 today, Kieran Sadlier.

Is he related to Richie?

https://twitter.com/sligorovers/status/686503511484424192

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement