Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

Have to say I thought the Drogheda sending off was harsh at the time and having watched and rewatched the incident a dozen times I haven't changed my mind. There was talk of Byrne being over the top of the ball, of two feet going into the tackle and of marks on McEleney's knee but the replay shows that Byrne went in low with the tackle. Definitely a yellow, and he was stupid enough to give Tomney a decision to make, but the decision was harsh on Drogheda - especially in light of O'Donnell's challenge just a couple of mins earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

doncarlos wrote: »
    Dundalk will lose games also so I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Cork need to lose six more games before the end of the year than Dundalk and there isn't anyone good enough in the league this year including Dundalk to beat them

Of course you're right, but Iv been at this long enough to never underestimate the potential for Cork City to break my heart.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Have to say I thought the Drogheda sending off was harsh at the time and having watched and rewatched the incident a dozen times I haven't changed my mind. There was talk of Byrne being over the top of the ball, of two feet going into the tackle and of marks on McEleney's knee but the replay shows that Byrne went in low with the tackle. Definitely a yellow, and he was stupid enough to give Tomney a decision to make, but the decision was harsh on Drogheda - especially in light of O'Donnell's challenge just a couple of mins earlier.

I thought it was a bit harsh too. A yellow might have been fairer. Certainly wouldn't have been 6 if he had remained on. I hope Drogs survive the drop, Pete will get the best out of them from now to the end of the season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

joeysoap wrote: »
    Which one? I still have it recorded so will have another look. It wasn't the 1st , or 2nd, def not the 3rd, wasn't the 4th either and the 5th and 6 th were clear unchallenged run at goals but I will have another look anyway. :)

Drogheda had 3 clean sheets including Derry at home and Bohs away yet their defence was really poor last week (sending off notwithstanding)

If Kilduff scores one against you it's bad, if he scores two.......

Az Alkmaar, Maccabi Tel Aviv :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,685 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

CHealy wrote: »
    Of course you're right, but Iv been at this long enough to never underestimate the potential for Cork City to break my heart.

We never win anything easy that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Cape Clear wrote: »

We never win anything easy that's for sure.
    Let's re-cap;
    1991-Lose the league on the last day of the season to Dundalk against Dundalk
    1993-Win the league after 2 rounds (1 round couldn't separate us) of play-off's against Shels and Bohs as goal difference didn't count
    1998-Win the FAI cup after a replay against Shels
    2005-Win the league, jump ahead of Derry after beating them on the last day of the season
    2011-Win the First Division, leapfrogging Shels after a 94th minute winner against.......Shels......
    2014-Lose the league, as Dundalk jump ahead of us by beating us on the last day
    2016-Win the cup against Dundalk after a 31st min winner in ET

The above is why we're not fully believing that it's happening.

Let's re-cap;
    1991-Lose the league on the last day of the season to Dundalk against Dundalk
    1993-Win the league after 2 rounds (1 round couldn't separate us) of play-off's against Shels and Bohs as goal difference didn't count
    1998-Win the FAI cup after a replay against Shels
    2005-Win the league, jump ahead of Derry after beating them on the last day of the season
    2011-Win the First Division, leapfrogging Shels after a 94th minute winner against.......Shels......
    2014-Lose the league, as Dundalk jump ahead of us by beating us on the last day
    2016-Win the cup against Dundalk after a 31st min winner in ET

The above is why we're not fully believing that it's happening.

You could also add in winning the Setanta cup 2-1 after going a goal down Vs Glentoran and losing 4 FAI cup finals in 1989,92,05 &15 AET

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Cape Clear wrote:
    You could also add in winning the Setanta cup 2-1 after going a goal down Vs Glentoran and losing 4 FAI cup finals in 1989,92,05 &15 AET

Also losing the Setanta Cup semi final against Shams due to a last minute free stupidly given away by Daryl Kavanagh.

Can't remember the year off hand!!

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Don't want to derail this topic, so I made a separate one about another LOI illustration project I'm working on, this time stadiums! I'll share one, everything else is over HERE!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057755438

il_570xN.1206551324_ldsb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

So looks Hoban and Sadlier off to Dalk! 2 great players!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

MrMac84 wrote: »
    So looks Hoban and Sadlier off to Dalk! 2 great players!
    Hopefully getting decent money for Sadlier if he's going. Can't afford to lose him but if we could use the money to get in two we may have no choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Patww79 wrote: »

Doubt Southamption are gonna pay a million quid for a player whose probably outta contract in four months time. He'll move for cheap compensation or they'll buy him in July for whatever his compensation would be and loan him back till end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hopefully getting decent money for Sadlier if he's going. Can't afford to lose him but if we could use the money to get in two we may have no choice.

I'd be happy with the deal rumoured in the paper: Cash + Mountney & O'Connor on loan. Dundalk probably overpaying just to secure the deal from Cork if that's the case.

2 players that will improve the team and hopefully some money to sign 1 more as well. It's better than having Sadlier and nobody else. He'll just be marked out of games and we're screwed then.

Signing O'Connor would be big. Gives us another option up front and weakens Harps at the same time.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Dundalk probably overpaying just to secure the deal from Cork if that's the case.

This is a great idea, wont end in tears at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Where did you see that about Hoban and Sadlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭damemcd

Get the beers in for the lad who got Clarky to sign de new contract...........irrespective of what club theyre poached from LOI clubs need to start getting realistic money for players going away..

damemcd wrote: »
    Get the beers in for the lad who got Clarky to sign de new contract...........irrespective of what club theyre poached from LOI clubs need to start getting realistic money for players going away..

Until you find out they have release clauses like Maguire :(. Seriously good business by Rovers if they do get 500k + though, should be a template for all future young talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,178 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Be a bad move for Clarke. He'll be joining Targett and McQueen, two young Left Backs already with PL experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

pjohnson wrote: »
    Be a bad move for Clarke. He'll be joining Targett and McQueen, two young Left Backs already with PL experience.
    That competition for places should improve his game. If it doesn't , then Southampton have bought a dud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

pjohnson wrote: »

He's a winger who can play fullback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Bohs fixture against Dundalk brought forward from Friday 7th to Wednesday 5th July, George Poynton remaining at Bohs for the remainder of the season being part of the deal.

Away game to Cork also postponed, Fixture Madness has begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

major bill wrote: »
    Bohs fixture against Dundalk brought forward from Friday 7th to Wednesday 5th July, George Poynton remaining at Bohs for the remainder of the season being part of the deal.

Cork city v pats on 7th is now moved to Sunday 9th afternoon as well

Bribery and corruption anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

How is this legit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

gimmick wrote: »
    How is this legit?

Must be two seperate deals technically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Daphne Polite Bedding

Shields going down the Bradley Route, it doesn't work lads, cheers for the extra motivation http://www.the42.ie/kenny-shiels-derry-city-cork-city-3459146-Jun2017/ #ccfc84

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Top of the league because we fight for second balls :P

I don't know why managers say such idiotic stuff really. Matches between us and Derry are always very close without stirring stuff like that.

• Advertisement

Your manager has said some stupid stuff over the past few years as well lads..

To be honest I don't remember him ever saying about another manager anything like that they weren't coached to play etc. All managers say mad things at times but stuff like that is just stupid, nobody gains from it.

Anyway, great win up there tonight playing for 25 min with 10 men after going 1 behind and missing a few players. Gearoid with another screamer.

Corholio wrote: »
    To be honest I don't remember him ever saying about another manager anything like that they weren't coached to play etc. All managers say mad things at times but stuff like that is just stupid, nobody gains from it.

Caulfield once accused all the Dublin sides of camping in their own half when they played in Cork despite Shams being the only Dub team to play at the Cross up to the point he made that comment.

Most managers seem to be a bit simple. They all just need to shut up basically.

Bradley at Shams is the worst though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Killian Brennan and Marc Griffin released by Drogheda.

Brennan on his way back to Pats 😂

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

It is odd that Cork seem need to manufacture "extra motivation" when they are coasting at the top of the league. Shiels does it with every team, it's no big deal and it shouldn't bother them.

Soon enough, a youth player missing a set of pedestrian lights across Patrick St will be "extra motivation".

dfx- wrote: »
    It is odd that Cork seem need to manufacture "extra motivation" when they are coasting at the top of the league. Shiels does it with every team, it's no big deal and it shouldn't bother them.

Soon enough, a youth player missing a set of pedestrian lights across Patrick St will be "extra motivation".

Well to be fair any 'extra motivation, real or not, is as a result of comments by a manager days before a game. Any motivation isn't necessarily real but it's not odd when Cork didn't manufacture anything in the first place. If someone said the similar to/about Bradley, why wouldn't it be motivation to go out and win? Just mind games that usually end up as nothing really. Just silly all round tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

sidcon wrote: »
    Killian Brennan and Marc Griffin released by Drogheda.

Brennan on his way back to Pats ��

Seems the Drogs camp is not happy with John Gill going by a rant by Killian Brennan on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Galway WFC vs. Wexford Youths Women will be streamed live on the Continental Tyres Women's National League facebook page from 7.00 pm

Seems the Drogs camp is not happy with John Gill going by a rant by Killian Brennan on Facebook.

I know it's a stretch to expect professionalism from a Brennan but this is particularly pathetic.

Think last nights result was huge. Like Gimmick, expected City to stumble, post Maguire departing news. Had always dismissed that "league is over" stuff, but now think it may well be...surely Dundalk might have anticipated last night as the first step in closing the gap.

http://www.the42.ie/joe-gamble-25-june-2017-3458021-Jun2017/?utm_source=twitter_self

Brilliant interview with Joe Gamble. Doesn't pull too many punches. Something very Roy Keane about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

gimmick wrote: »
    http://www.the42.ie/joe-gamble-25-june-2017-3458021-Jun2017/?utm_source=twitter_self

Brilliant interview with Joe Gamble. Doesn't pull too many punches. Something very Roy Keane about him.

Some of these online news sites get a lot of stick for poor journalism but these weekly LOI articles are brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Few stories knocking about that we are selling Connolly to Dundalk for 45000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

peteeeed wrote: »

I hope not! €45k is crazy within the league, a basic fee a lot less than that and % sell on clause maybe. Rumours persist that Bray are not finding it easy as hoped to keep up with top wages that have been offered on 2 year contracts as crowds havent grown as league standing has improved. Dundalk should hol out if there is any truth in the 45k fee and look for a deal with add-ons so say 20k and 10k for appearances and whatever for x amount of goals or a flat 20k
    + a 30% sell on if they are getting Connolly off the books as he was given a premium deal when Dundalk showed interest to keep him at Bray. If Connolly is willing to sign a 2 or 3 year contract then maybe a premium transfer fee could be considered as at least then there is the chance of a return on the outlay if he continues to develop but at 22 to pay 45k and he is free to leave for another year - well it makes no sense.
    With Kinsella injured for most of his loan deal from Everton he will probably go back to his parent club which will free up wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

peteeeed wrote: »

How has he played this season? He was good against us in the first match of the season but I haven't heard much about him after that. McCabe seems to be Bray's best player this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

kksaints wrote: »
    How has he played this season? He was good against us in the first match of the season but I haven't heard much about him after that. McCabe seems to be Bray's best player this season.

Very hit and miss this season , great in some then looks like he can't control the ball

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Rumour mill ( well it is June)

Hoban: looking for €1400 a week at Dundalk, afaik no deal.

Connolly: €40,000 + Conor Clifford

Sadler: €20,000 + John Mountney + Ciaran O'Connor.

Where would we be without rumours? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Heard €30,000 for Dylan Connolly - deal done.

And that Hoban wanted €250,000 bonus of some sort :O

Heard that Caulfield told Hoban to jog on aswell, and something about Rovers doing the same? He won't find another club if he's going around the place thinking he's billy big bollox.

City signed Sean McLoughlin from UCC last night, he had offers from SPL and L1 clubs and we got him on a 18 month deal so there must be something about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Heard that Caulfield told Hoban to jog on aswell, and something about Rovers doing the same? He won't find another club if he's going around the place thinking he's billy big bollox.

City signed Sean McLoughlin from UCC last night, he had offers from SPL and L1 clubs and we got him on a 18 month deal so there must be something about him.

Be interesting to know who his agent is!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ya he was on Hibs and Kilmarnock radar if I read is true

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement