Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI Talk, Rumours, Gossip, Transfers etc 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

overshoot wrote: »
    Not going well for any of the Nordies.
    Derry 2 down after 15

And if anyone cares about the others
    Bangor also away losing to a danish side (1-0)
    Colraine being hockied by a second tier Norwegian team 5-0 (guessing they did well in a cup?)
    Ballymeana 2 down to norwegians Odds Ballklubb (what a name!)

That's the Welsh Bangor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

overshoot wrote:
    Not going well for any of the Nordies.

Tbf to them, Linfield did scrape a win at home to some San Marinese crowd in the CL yesterday!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Odd are currently 7th and Haugesund 8th in the Norwegian league 14 matches played. Rosenborg are league leaders.

That was a good result for Bangor (even if they are from Wales)

Wilberto wrote: »
    Tbf to them, Linfield did scrape a win at home to some San Marinese crowd in the CL yesterday!

Celtic are trenbling in their boots :)

• Advertisement

Someone explained it before but I can't remember the details, is it good for all LOI clubs co-efficient if say Rovers and City do well? Dundalk were within a shoelace away from being seeded this year. The better City do this year will reflect in their co-efficient next year in the champions league. (Having said that if your unseeded it doesn't make a lot of difference)

Nordies 0 - 10 Norwegians. Arlene obviously not having any influence.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

AEK Larnaca won 5-0 at home to Lincoln Red Imps tonight, likely go on to face Cork City in the 2nd round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Great result for Connahs Quay of Wales beating HJK at home 1-0.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Rovers 1 up. Derry all but out after losing 6-1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Rovers 1 up. Derry all but out after losing 6-1.

I think your forgetting a little something called the away goals rule.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

dan1895 wrote: »
    I think your forgetting a little something called the away goals rule.

We are not beating them 5-0 next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭eire4

Wilberto wrote: »

I saw that only 1-0 against La Fiorita from San Marino not very impressive especially when you look at La Fioritas previous European results. Would have thought the tie would be done after yesterday but it is still alive based on that first leg score. Having said that La Fiorita have only ever scored 1 goal before in the European Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As hard as we tried tonight, we were spanked.

We try to play football all the time. If José mourinho had played away tonight he would have started with 1 forward. We started with 3 up front.

At the back we were a shambles. Wide open. They looked like scoring everytime they attacked.

Pity the tie wasn't alive til next week. The home tie will be a damp squib now.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Pity the tie wasn't alive til next week. The home tie will be a damp squib now.

Was looking forward to seeing EL football back at the showgrounds as well :(

3 up front against a side of that calibre is crazy.

dan1895 wrote: »
    3 up front against a side of that calibre is crazy.

Totally agree.

José would have played Fellaini up front on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

joeysoap wrote: »
    Odd are currently 7th and Haugesund 8th in the Norwegian league 14 matches played. Rosenborg are league leaders.

That was a good result for Bangor (even if they are from Wales)
    ah i can blame extratime, they have colraine playing SK Vard Haugesund.... It was FK Haugesund...

On Bangor... i dont pay too much attention to the NI league but now you mention it... yea, never heard of a NI bangor fc!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

irish_goat wrote: »

Such an odd interview on Soccer Republic from Friday night from Shiels about how great the Danish side were and how it was an impossible task.

Then he plays three upfront?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Great away wins for Cork and Rovers, wasn't expecting them both to come away with wins tonight. Let's hope they can finish them off next week now. Don't want to be getting too carried away, but did I hear that if Rovers were to beat Mlada Boleslav in the next round that they would then be seeded for the third qualifying round and avoid all of the big boys? Doesn't sound right but thought I saw it on here or twitter somewhere.

• Advertisement

Great away wins for Cork and Rovers, wasn't expecting them both to come away with wins tonight. Let's hope they can finish them off next week now. Don't want to be getting too carried away, but did I hear that if Rovers were to beat Mlada Boleslav in the next round that they would then be seeded for the third qualifying round and avoid all of the big boys? Doesn't sound right but thought I saw it on here or twitter somewhere.

Seen that too but can't remember where.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

dfx- wrote: »
    Such an odd interview on Soccer Republic from Friday night from Shiels about how great the Danish side were and how it was an impossible task.

Then he plays three upfront?

Maybe it's something in the waters up North. The IL clubs really couldn't give a crap about Europe which is incredible considering the money even one round win is worth to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭the heathen

irish_goat wrote:

I think you're forgetting a little something called humour and sarcasm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭Alfa Quadrifoglio

Very good away wins in Europe for both Cork City and Shamrock Rovers but they still have a lot of work to do and will need the support of big crowds in the Cross and Tallaght next Thursday night. Any chance of two sell out crowds to get behind Irish clubs in Europe.
    Derry result not a shock, but disappointing nonetheless, with their injuries and having lost their great talisman this season with the passing of Ryan McBride. Midtjylland are a top side having knocked out Southampton and beating Manchester United in Denmark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

It just goes to show the luck of the draw is half the battle really, Cork City get a team far inferior to them and Derry end up with a club who have 20 times their budget. Its the difference between 220k and 450k for progression.

Thought City were excellent in the first half last night, really bossed those guys around and deservedly took the lead but the second half showing wasnt anywhere near good enough, shades of KR two years ago, Cork Citys inability to play against 10 men in Europe almost striking again. Great goal by Beattie, absolutely delighted for him because he's struggled this year with injuries. Reckon we could hit these guys for another 2 or 3 next Thursday.

Fantastic result for Shamrock Rovers aswell, I honestly didnt see it coming given the whole Bradley being in charge an all that but they should see themselves through also next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'd be shocked if Cork didn't turn them over again in the home leg. It's as strong as any City team I've seen, including 2005/06, and that coupled with Tallinn not being really up to much in Europe in general would give ya confidence. Fair play to Rovers, an away win in Iceland is a fantastic result. Looks like Kenny Shields and his boys got a whooping, set up wrong by all accounts against much superior opposition.

Yeah I do think Kenny has to answer some questions about how he set the team up.
    Far too attacking minded against what we knew were an excellent team.

Maybe he thought attack was the best form of defence?

But we are a very young side, and even though we took a beating, it will stand the youngsters for the future. They'll learn from it. They played well in patches and can't be questioned over their commitment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shows how far the league has come. 10/15 years ago a 6-1 away defeat was almost standard and had the other clubs lost 0-1 and 0-2 they would have been seen as good results to take home!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bray release statement mid match saying what's the point of paying for good team if fans don't show up. I know they're right, but time and place!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Patww79 wrote: »

They're working from a small pool when there's already so many clubs in Dublin and have a horrible ground. I don't know what they expect.[/quote]

Bray as a town should comfortably be getting more numbers than they are.

I'd say Bray needed the Connolly money just to stay afloat :)

I would guess they were aiming for an automatic European spot to offset the expenditure on players and that bigger home attendances would follow the results. Europe is still on - only top 3 are guaranteed - but it won't be easy. The bad spell of results before the break didn't help.

Over 1500 at tonight's match, decent if not outstanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭Raoul

Mushy wrote: »
    Bray as a town should comfortably be getting more numbers than they are.

I agree. They were playing great stuff at the start of the season. Really exciting games with lots of goals. Pushing for Europe, they were 3rd in the league, beat Dundalk. If they don't get the crowds coming in after that then what hope is there?

Is the problem that Bray may be a commuter town where most people are just blow ins?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Raoul wrote: »
    I agree. They were playing great stuff at the start of the season. Really exciting games with lots of goals. Pushing for Europe, they were 3rd in the league, beat Dundalk. If they don't get the crowds coming in after that then what hope is there?

Is the problem that Bray may be a commuter town where most people are just blow ins?

I think that's where we benefit in Dundalk not being a commuter town. Even our 1st division days we have a 1000 hardcore which is hard for Bray to get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Our core support has always been around 500, with a few either side give or take. Anything else is fairweather fans, unfortunately.

There's been plenty of talk over the years of getting out there and drumming up support but it doesn't seem to ever have any effect. Can any clubs point to measures they've taken that have increased attendances?

It pains me to say it but I'm not surprised whatsoever if the O'Connors are having second thoughts, this same scenario has played out a dozen times before at LOI clubs and ones that are much bigger than ourselves. I don't know why anyone would think it was going to work out any other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Aaron Dobbs signs for Wexford. Great news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭blingrhino

I'd say Bray needed the Connolly money just to stay afloat :)

I would guess they were aiming for an automatic European spot to offset the expenditure on players and that bigger home attendances would follow the results. Europe is still on - only top 3 are guaranteed - but it won't be easy. The bad spell of results before the break didn't help.

Over 1500 at tonight's match, decent if not outstanding.

Apparently 600 from Dundalk ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

blingrhino wrote: »
    Apparently 600 from Dundalk ?

Def closer to 8/900 Dundalk fans

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

Our core support has always been around 500, with a few either side give or take. Anything else is fairweather fans, unfortunately.
    Can any clubs point to measures they've taken that have increased attendances?

Dundalk sent players around all the local schools a couple of years ago to talk to young kids and then offered free season tickets to under 12s.

Kids pester power then resulted in parents bringing their kids (and buying tickets for themselves :) ).

Even though we no longer give free season tickets, many of the kids and their parents are still coming to games. It still noticeable that there are a lot of women and young children among Dundalk's travelling support. That is not very common in the LOI.

Make a kid a supporter and you have a supporter for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Dundalk sent players around all the local schools a couple of years ago to talk to young kids and then offered free season tickets to under 12s.

Kids pester power then resulted in parents bringing their kids (and buying tickets for themselves :) ).

Even though we no longer give free season tickets, many of the kids and their parents are still coming to games. It still noticeable that there are a lot of women and young children among Dundalk's travelling support. That is not very common in the LOI.

Make a kid a supporter and you have a supporter for life.

That's something that's been very heavily pushed in the last several training days and workshops run by the FAI for LOI club staff that I've attended. There's still a lot of clubs who just don't put it into practice despite getting the best advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

There's been plenty of talk over the years of getting out there and drumming up support but it doesn't seem to ever have any effect. Can any clubs point to measures they've taken that have increased attendances?
    /QUOTE]

There was a really good piece recently on extratime (I think) by the guy previously involved with FORAS and now at Limerick about steps clubs could take to get people in and create a nice atmosphere.

He gave the example of day 1 at the Cross when people had just paid entry to the game and were met with a line of people with buckets looking for money. It was off-putting. A recommendation he made was to weed the terraces to improve the appearance of the ground.

Getting decent food, a place to avoid the wind & rain and toilets that aren't flooded with pish are a good start. If there is a good atmosphere people will be more likely to return.

Oat23 wrote: »
    We've had 2 lads signed for weeks but apparently they are not allowed to play against Shams on the 2nd because the window doesn't open until the 1st, which is a Saturday, and apparently the FAI don't work Saturdays and won't let us send the documents in advance, so we have to wait until Monday to register them.

What a league.

Confirmed on the Rovers site tonight. The FAI are just amazing..
    The Bit o' Red must wait for new signings Rhys McCabe and Benny Igiehon as they will not be registered in time.
    http://www.sligorovers.com/news/17/jul/clash-rovers

McCabe signed on the 8th of June and Igiehon signed on the 16th.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Confirmed on the Rovers site tonight. The FAI are just amazing..

http://www.sligorovers.com/news/17/jul/clash-rovers

McCabe signed on the 8th of June and Igiehon signed on the 16th.

Ridiculous situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Even Gary Armstrong, who was registered at the start of the season before going out on loan to Ballinamallard, can't be re-registered until Monday. Won't be able to play tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Cork seem favourites to sign Sadlier now. We'll use the money to sign a replacement, knowing that the replacement will likely also be Sadlier's replacement at Cork next year.

Least we're getting a few pound off them now.

I read Dundalk were outbid for Sadlier (+ John Mountney is getting match time again :). Finn Harps will be happy. And Hoban might be reconsidered now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭overshoot

I read Dundalk were outbid for Sadlier (+ John Mountney is getting match time again :). Finn Harps will be happy. And Hoban might be reconsidered now.
    If it means o'connor isn't needed at Dundalk... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement